Worries

Boo32

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I think this place is great, and I hope I become a regular visitor to this site.

I plan on writing something more in-depth shortly that I can post on a thread. But, I keep hearing "Intrusive Thoughts." I like that term, but ever since I was a kid I have been using a different term that I would like to share with you. I call them "Worries."

For example, I worry about germs, I worry about driving, I worry about checking the stove is off 50 times before I leave the house.

I don't want the term to be confused with the "regular" worry. For example, someone might worry about germs, but I call the obsession and compulsion that comes with the OCD as a worry. So when I wash my hands, I say I am worrying. Or if I ask my family a strange question (they know I suffer from OCD), and they ask me why, I just say, "Because I am worrying." I feel the term fits with most things.

What do you all think?

SilentType

Banned
Are you using "worries" as a general term just because you don't want anybody to know what you're really worried about?

Peace

Boo32

No, I don't use the term around people that don't know I have OCD. It is just something I have always associated with my OCD. I would say I use the word worry instead of the term intrusive thoughts

getbornagain

If you are wondering whether "worry" could replace "intrusive thoughts" when describing OCD, sure. Worry, fear, etc. could be used to describe OCD pathologies.