Worrying vs being present

Sacrament

I'm the kind of person who is constantly worrying, to a point where I can't really engage in mindful activities because my mind is so scattered. I have a girlfriend and a job I like (although it doesn't fulfill me completely, but it's money nonetheless), and I have a family who cares and friends who care too.

And then comes my worrying. Recently I read something that makes a lot of sense: being depressed = living in the past; being worried = living in the future. The secret to living healthily is to live mindfully, which is to say, to live entirely in the present, disconnecting yourself from the damaging parts of the past (or being at peace with them, rather) and doing your best to stop conceptualizing imagined futures where this or that happens to your girlfriend/boyfriend, your mother, your best friend, your dog, your job, etc. By living mindfully, you can focus on the things that need to be done right now, like working out, studying, improving skills, socializing, making your life better. Because worrying leads to procrastinating (because you tell yourself "what's the point, something bad's gonna happen to make that house of cards collapse anyway"), that leads to a vicious cycle where not only do you not do the things that are important for your everyday life and for your future, but you become stagnant, which leads to worrying about the state (or future state) of things.

To those of you who know how life-consuming it is to worry about things so much, how do you perfect mindfulness? What works for you in terms of just being there, breathing, taking care of all the things that will make your life better every day? I have books on it, and I've made progress in finding all these methods and coming up to all these life changing conclusions, but there's still a lot of room for improvement, because changing your life so drastically means disconnecting from years of mental processes that lead me to where I am today, yearning for change yet finding it so difficult.

Then again, life happens outside of your comfort zone, and there's no other way but to take the leap.

What worked for you?

Sacrament

Do you engage in those hobbies and activities because you truly enjoy them and can be present in them, or to run away from anxiety?

Do you engage in those hobbies and activities because you truly enjoy them and can be present in them, or to run away from anxiety?

Because I enjoy them. It also gives me a break from negative mental states, but there's nothing wrong with that, its not running away

Sacrament

Surely you're not simply incapable of being present, but I know how hard it can be. I've learned that the less you struggle, not only against your own thoughts but with against yourself when you're unable to focus for too long, the more you're able to actually be present in whatever you're doing, which can truly make a huge difference between walking around completely focused on your breathing, the music in your ears and all the stuff that's happening around you, or listening to music while worrying about something that happened or could happen. It's quite freeing, and it really is the only way to go, because the bottomline to all of this worrying and anxiety is that the present moment is all you have, and all you can actually work with/on.

Kiwong

Long distance running works for me; photography:seascapes and wildflowers also works. I can get lost in those activities but never completely. With running there is a huge reward for effort, and a reduction of my mind to very elemental needs, the need for water, the need to rest and recover. I achieve mindfulness through immense physical effort, my anxiety is a million miles away, and happiness has the opportunity to manifest itself. And the rest afterwards is bliss.

With photography I get lost in the detail of nature. Colour, form and movement. What I see really amazes me, and my thoughts get lost in it.

My thoughts are not always worrying or depressed, sometimes they are creative and positive. My mind is powerful, and I try to tune into the helpful/creative thoughts that are there, out of the unhelpful white noise. When these thoughts are present I try to run with them, I don't empty my mind of them. I write the good ones down in my journal.

dannyboy65

I too am one of those people who constantly worry. I worried so much about my country that I wanted to move. I try to find an escape from my problems, but I found the best way to beat those problems are to face them.

LazyHermitCrab

Hm well I worry a lot too so I'm not sure what to say. Sometimes something will go my way but then I'll think in the future it's just going to be gone anyway. I just gotta say you're not alone on this. Music, writing, ... something creative helps. Sometimes I don't care about art and just sit and worry anyway. It seems like you have some cool things in your life even though you worry a lot! It might just be part of your personality so yeah... some things that help me for a little are: writing, praying, researching, exercising (especially running), driving to random places and listening to music and trying to think things out