Would they really?

Helyna

Would prospective employers/colleges really look up our activity online? One of my teachers say they can and some do. Wouldn't that be a whole lot of work to find out about one person? (Okay, I understand with government jobs, but I don't think I'll apply for those.) And how would they if they wanted to? Because more than one person can use one computer, for instance, and I have two email addresses, one with a pseudonym. How would they know who was me? And what would they think about, for instance, this site? It's not like there's much I'm ashamed of, but this isn't much to be proud of in the face of an employer. This is just too creepy...

krs2snow

yeah, they really will. My friend had it happen to her. She didn't have anything bad online, really, but she didn't get hired! She doesn't know if that's why tho. But she kinda knows a person where she applied & the person told her they (the company) looks applicants up online. Sooo, she wonders!

afterforever

Any online profiles I have, I set to private so no one can just view them on a whim. I hope that'd be enough to prevent any prospective employers from seeing it...right?

chris87

Considering that many employers look at your credit before they hire you, it doesn't surprise me that they would check your online activity.

Helyna

Pinker said:
The only way anyone would be able to do this would be if they got the email off your CV, resume whatever you call it, and typed the email into google. The email will only come up if you've typed it out onto a page, if you simply registered on this site with your email, that wouldn't show up. I have a professional email and a 'normal' one. Try typing your 'professional' email into google..
Nothing. So I'm safe?