Would this be considered bipolar I/II/III, borderline personality disorder, or what?

Shant

For a while now I've had some kind of depression, often low-grade, and at a few (but lengthy) periods, getting quite severe.

Although now that things in my life are coming together, I've been overwhelmed to an extent. Work, college, religion, parents, etc... a lot of stress. Now I can't help but wonder if I lost it. I tend to go through different... extremes of emotions. For example...

• Depression - low energy, brooding, wanting to just sleep, assume there's no point to me living, self-blaming.
  • Upbeat - cheery, a bit hyperactive, self-confident, not minding life, avoiding any triggers like the plague.
  • Relaxed - "it's all good", calm, happy, peaceful. Not blaming anyone.
  • Resentful - self-respecting, often tense, angry, prideful, blaming others. Unhappy, likely dangerous.
  • Mellow - untrusting of others, "I can and will do it all by myself", "unamused" facial expression, calm, assured.

Social anxiety tends to blend into each of them - minimally with the Upbeat one, but still certainly there.

Basically, just a lot of mood swings. It gets confusing because sometimes I'll think, "Okay, I got this. Some bad things happened in life, but that's all behind me. It doesn't affect the future, that's my job, not it's job. Bye, depression." (Relaxed) Then, a few hours later, I'm that bad stuff I thought was behind me caught up with me.

Last edited:

Phoenixx

^ What you described basically fits me too. My emotions are sometimes extreme and everyday feels like an emotional rollercoaster. For part of the day I could be quite happy, kinda talkative, but not hyperactive. Later on though, I get to thinking those negative thoughts and depression just hits me. Usually when the depression hits, it lasts for a while. I wonder if this could be bipolar too...? I don't think it's borderline personality though.

Shant

I know that Bipolar II is similar to Bipolar I except that the highs are considered "hypomanic" as opposed to "manic"; not as intense and lasting not as often as the lows, which are equally intense for both I and II.

I thought I had this for a while, although my emotions go beyond just high-energy and low-energy. I know borderline personality disorder (also known as "unstable emotional disorder", for this reason) has extreme mood swings like this, although I'm a bit doubtful on that because I don't have other symptoms - unstable relationships (I have no relationships to be unstable with though), black and white thinking (pretty gray), etc...