year off college ?

Ragle

ok so I'm 22, basically no life, no friends nothing to make me want to live. Final year of college is here. I can't seem to get myself motivated to do the things needed in order to finish. I'm thinking to take it easy this year, do what I can and try to make myself feel better and finish next year. But I'm afraid I will not get back on my feet and finish and my mother will be devastated. I'm not even doing it for me.. I just want to be left behind and stagnate.. I can't seem to get interested in what I study.. I keep thinking it's worthless. And right now for example I have team projects.. almost all of them are team based.. and it just seems impossible to keep doing it, I keep letting people down.. I've been in many teams and I was always the one doing the least amount of work and I feel terrible. This is one of the reasons I think I don't have some people to work with, I'm always bouncing between teams. (or is it just in my head?) The pressure is too high. I just need some opinions.. what do you think ? take the year 'off', do what I can and continue next year or stay now and try to finish(although I don't know how I can make it happen)?

LazyHermitCrab

What are you studying? I would just take half the classes you would have taken even if it takes extra time. If I take a lot of classes at once just to finish then i don't really remember much anyway when it's over. Also if you take a lot at once it's kinda hard to get interested when you have to worry about other classes that are completely different. If you completely stop I don't see why you would wake up one day wanting to go full force. Just get it over with. :) unless it's unbearable. lol. It will probably take me six years total to finish college with this advice i'm taking from myself >.>

cola junky

don't you dare taking a year off!!!
this would be the worst thing to do!
it's tuff,it's hard but the year will pass and than you will be happy you finished.
if you start something than finish it...
you are on a rolle here and i have the feeling that if you will take a year off you won't come back to finish your degree.
it's my last year in university too and there was a point when i thought taking the year off(mostly because the studies are very intensive) but i didn't take the year off and i am happy for it.
people in our condition tend to postpone things and avoid them and those are the main reasons we find it hard to move on in life and be less needy and dependent.
anyhow i wish you best of luck and be strong-the final tear will pass eventually...

Ragle

@LazyHermitCrab - I study urban planning .. I initially wanted to study architecture but I failed the exam and ended up on urban planning section. The thing is there are so many things to do , I have like 3 major projects right now and small ones for every class.. maybe 6 I think .. plus that I have some classes I failed last year and I need to complete them now. The thought that I have to pass them all to be able to make the final project for the diploma is killing me.. I don't think it's something to hard to do but the amount of work is too high and for someone like me .. really depressive and pessimistic about things.. yeah I don't know. how about you? what do you study ? :D

@cola junky - yeah I guess you're right.. I know that's the best thing to do .. stay and finish what I've started.. but I feel I'm getting nowhere even if I finish and I'm struggling for too much time with this .. maybe a break can be good. After all .. it's no race right? thanks for the words of encouragement. ('Do not pray for easy lives my friends, pray to be stronger men.' :D)

LazyHermitCrab

@LazyHermitCrab - I study urban planning .. I initially wanted to study architecture but I failed the exam and ended up on urban planning section. The thing is there are so many things to do , I have like 3 major projects right now and small ones for every class.. maybe 6 I think .. plus that I have some classes I failed last year and I need to complete them now. The thought that I have to pass them all to be able to make the final project for the diploma is killing me.. I don't think it's something to hard to do but the amount of work is too high and for someone like me .. really depressive and pessimistic about things.. yeah I don't know. how about you? what do you study ? :D

That sounds interesting, that probably means your a good drawer too ::p: Not really into projects eaither especially more than one at time but hey i'm studying marketing. Just going for the mysterious creative? approach for each marketing technique pretty much :cool:

Aussie_Lad

@LazyHermitCrab - I study urban planning .. I initially wanted to study architecture but I failed the exam and ended up on urban planning section. The thing is there are so many things to do , I have like 3 major projects right now and small ones for every class.. maybe 6 I think .. plus that I have some classes I failed last year and I need to complete them now. The thought that I have to pass them all to be able to make the final project for the diploma is killing me.. I don't think it's something to hard to do but the amount of work is too high and for someone like me .. really depressive and pessimistic about things..

You know, as hard as it sounds, it is good preperation for the real world. If you have trouble with the workload now, then wait till you are doing something similar as a career. When you have a career on the go, there is no "taking a year off". If you can't handle it now, then perhaps a education / career review is in order.

Fighter86

I'm thinking to take it easy this year, do what I can and try to make myself feel better and finish next year. But I'm afraid I will not get back on my feet and finish and my mother will be devastated. I'm not even doing it for me.. I just want to be left behind and stagnate.. I can't seem to get interested in what I study.. I keep thinking it's worthless. And right now for example I have team projects.. almost all of them are team based.. and it just seems impossible to keep doing it, I keep letting people down.. I've been in many teams and I was always the one doing the least amount of work and I feel terrible. This is one of the reasons I think I don't have some people to work with, I'm always bouncing between teams. (or is it just in my head?) The pressure is too high. I just need some opinions.. what do you think ? take the year 'off', do what I can and continue next year or stay now and try to finish(although I don't know how I can make it happen)?

Push yourself forward if you still can since you only have your last year to finish. And only take the year off if you feel you really can't stand up to the pressure any longer. I don't school, I work and I was in a similar dilemma as you are right now. I worked a year at a job that was making me exhausted half year into the job. I held on, refusing to let go because I was afraid and knew if I did, I would slip back to the person I was (before the job, there were few years I pretty much did absolutely nothing). After that one year, I moved on to another job, and held a series of job over 7 months, still not daring to let go for fear of reverting to my previous way. Eventually, I let go finally and just threw in the towel, I did that because I was at the end of the rope and couldn't take much more so I know it was the right decision, I really needed the break. Thus, my advise is to hold on, and push on unless if you feel you can no longer should you take a break. Have you thought what you might do should you take a break?

Ragle

1/2 decade update is here :))
I am ****ed. I don't have my degree and I'm now close to three years on a job I grew to hate.
Older, sicker and now alone I'm banging my head against the same wall.
All hope is gone.

Well, I said I would leave my job just for "a few months" under the impression that I would try and help myself, etc. and later find some more work. But I went 2 years without a job, and it was basically an excuse for me to hide from stress and interaction. I ended up setting up my home business just so I didn't have to go through the whole process. In retrospect, it was worth it. But I can't deny that it wasn't just elaborate avoidance. Do what you think is right for you man.