You CAN recover from Social Phobia

Anonymous

Hi, I thought some of you might be interested in my recovery story. I suffered badly from Social Phobia, but I eventually overcame it by attending group Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I no longer have any of the symptoms of SP, despite having suffered from it for over 30 years. I also developed a bad alcohol problem as a result of self-medicating to deal with social situations. This was bad enough to end in my being placed in a detox unit and a rehab centre. Alcoholism too, I overcame using CBT.

Recently Sarah Edelman, a well-known Australian psychologist and author heard of my success story and has written an article about how I overcame this disorder. The article has not appeared yet, but I have posted a draft version on the Internet for anyone who would like to read it. I thought perhaps it might provide some inspiration for those who have this condition, and offer direct evidence that Social Phobia can be successfully treated. Sarah has authorized me to re-print it online.

If you are interested you can view it here: www.angelfire.com/oz/socialphobia/

Here is a link to another story written about my recovery which appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald recently:
www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/07/02/1056825460768.html

There are a few inaccuracies in this story (I had SP from about the age of 5, not since my teens as suggested in this story).

All the best,

Andrew

Anonymous

Thank you for sharing your encouraging story with us. It's evident you are a brave, courageous, and determined individual! You also seem very fortunate to have found a dedicated & caring therapist as well, which is quite a rarity. I wish you indefinite continued success with your endeavors!

I imagine you are getting a great deal of 'fan email' because I wrote to your email address 'click on' but my email was returned a few days later with the following message: :(

Persistent Transient Failure: Delivery time expired
Delivery last attempted at 5 Jul 2004 0:19:07 +0000

ella

I also had the same problem,so you`re probably right Guest.
Congrats from me too Andy!I`m sorry I couldn`t reach you since my life story is very similar to yours,so I thought we could share some present experiences.Anyway,I hope we`ll meet some day,over the mail ofcourse.