=

HH

Theres a big single page article in todays daily mail about hyperidrosis and about the program that's on five us. The article says about ETS surgery only having bad side effects for 1-3% of people?

ToniStreet

Hi everyone. I'm one of the participants in this programme (Sweaty Betty). I haven't seen it yet so have no idea how it's going to be edited. Fingers crossed they make a decent job of it, but who knows, we'll have to wait and see tomorrow night.

Another of the participants, Anne, set up a site which you might be interested in. Take a peek.

http://groups.google.com/group/sweaty_betty07

I'll sign in again tomorrow for your verdict!!!!!!!!

Best Wishes,

Toni x

Re: UK TV Programme on Hyperhidrosis Called Sweaty Betty

Times-Ticking said:
Just Found out about this programme
Hidden Lives: Sweaty Betty
Providing an insight into the lives of several women who suffer from hyperhidrosis - a medical condition that produces excessive perspiration

It will be on Thurday 1st May on channel five life not just channel 5 so you will need sky or freeview.

I hope its going to be a well put together programme but as anything on channel 5 it might just turn out to be rubbish.

Hey I may be rubbish, we have not even seen it yet! All I know is that we were honest and gave it our ALL. While filming we didn't wear makeup and really showed what it is like to live with. The only thing I am worried about is that they took it all out of context. You know what they are like for a good grooling story.
Toni and I are sitting on the edge of our seats on the not knowing and wishing we did not make it at all.
At least she is able to view this. I am in the USA and have to wait for a hard copy. I will have to go on what friends and family say. Not the best way for 5 minutes of fame but we also thought it important to educate and show what it is like to have to live with this. Maybe now Hyperhidrois may have a voice.

Thanks and hope you enjoy it and let me know what you think.

Anne oxoxoxox

ToniStreet said:
Hi everyone. I'm one of the participants in this programme (Sweaty Betty). I haven't seen it yet so have no idea how it's going to be edited. Fingers crossed they make a decent job of it, but who knows, we'll have to wait and see tomorrow night.

Another of the participants, Anne, set up a site which you might be interested in. Take a peek.

http://groups.google.com/group/sweaty_betty07

I'll sign in again tomorrow for your verdict!!!!!!!!

Best Wishes,

Toni x

Thanks Toni....Your a gem:) Lets hope this lifts off...If not I tired:)
I'll call you tonight after the airing of the documentary...

Love lots,

Anne oxoxoxoxox

HH said:
Theres a big single page article in todays daily mail about hyperidrosis and about the program that's on five us. The article says about ETS surgery only having bad side effects for 1-3% of people?

:roll: I'd like to show them the ETS&reversals forum...

Compensatory sweating occurred in 89% of patients and was so severe in 35% that they often had to change their clothes during the day.
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Skejby Sygehus, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark.
Ann Thorac Surg. 2004 Aug;78(2):427-31.

Times-Ticking said:
Hey I may be rubbish
No I don't think the Women taking part will be rubbish. I just think as it's for TV channel 5 (Fiver) they will just gloss over it and make out it's not a problem and people should just forget about it. Also I am concerned anyone who watches who doesnt have Hyperhidrosis will just be like "err thats sick why don't those people have a shower and wear deodorant" but as anyone who has this condition then they know it's not the case.
Anyway I am hoping to be suprised and hope it makes others more aware and gets through to them it's not just a case of having a shower.

18.10pm UK before I have seen it.

Hello,

OK sorry I did not mean for it to come across like that I should have checked it before posting. It was meant to say it may be rubbish not I am rubbish...lol
I know that they have taken everything out of context. Just from some of the advertisements they have posted I am afraid they have turned this into something we didn't want it to be. They have made it out as if this has made me make my family live around this and that my oldest daughter is totally against HH. Yes I am aware now of what TV can do and I just hope that they address it correctly and show that is an awful affliction to have to live with.
A Dr I went to see about having ETS, (which I would not even consider) I overheard him telling his PA I should take more showers or change my clothing more. People just don't get it! I think it is always going to come across dodgy. Until someone has gone through this is not going to understand.
I have also seen another posting saying it is only 1% We all know that, that is bull****. It is 3% that we know of and going up.
It seemed to me that they were not that interested in the known facts on how ETS screws up your life or the overall outcome of hyperhidrosis.

I am really anxious now as to what is going to be aired. I have to wait to see it and just go on what family and friends are saying.

again I'm sorry if I came across like that I was not intended.

Thanks,

Anne.

teandtoast

Just watching this now

When was this made...has this supposed expert doctor in HH not heard of liposuction with curretage for underarm sweating ???? which has had very high rates of success unlike ETS which as is said in the programme is hit n miss.

tina206

Hey all!

I logged on as i watch the broadcast of sweaty betty. Been waiting for this all week. I have suffered from this problem for 13 years now i am 25.

Hope i can talk to you sufferers about this as i dont have anyone talk to who actually understands

Tina

ToniStreet

So what did you all think? I've spoken to Anne in Texas and told her that I thought it was great. I'm really proud that I took part in this programme. Can you hear me sighing with relief?

freak-or-unique

I've just watch the programme and thought it was brilliantly put together.

I hadn't heard of the condition until last summer, despite having it for as long as I can remember. I've seen dozens of doctors and complained about the sweating but they just looked at me and shrugged their shoulders :roll:

I relate very much to the lady in Texas (Anne) as the majority of my sweating is from the neck up. My hair is always dripping wet, like I just got out of the shower and didn't wrap a towel around my head. I'd love to be brave enough to not worry about the embarrassment but it affects everything I do. I've even dyed my hair a very dark brown so it doesn't notice so much that it's always wet. My face pours with sweat too, I don't bother with make-up any more, it just slides right off, no matter what I use. Now I come to think of it, there's actually not a single part of my body that isn't affected.

I have problems finding clothes that are 'right' too. They need to be dark, loose (so they don't touch me and pick up wet patches) and cover all the bits that need covering. Skirts and dresses are a big no-no as the sweat pours down my legs. I can't possibly sit on a seat that isn't made from fabric because of the damp patch I leave behind. Any temperature over 60 degrees feels suffocating to me. In fact, I'll be really happy if summer never happens again!

All I've done is whinge :lol: I've never told anyone all of this before :oops:

I take my hat off to all the ladies on the programme, I wish I could be half as brave!

ToniStreet

Glad you felt you could open up about having HH. I hope that the programme showed people that's it's not our fault and that we're not un-hygenic.

I'm actually really lucky compared to Anne and Holly in the programme, because it's only my armpits that sweat excessively. At least I can hide that with the right clothes. Throughout the programme I'm shown wearing tight tops. This was of course to show my sweat patches off. I wouldn't normally been seen dead in those tops (unless they were under a jumper). I usually wear chiffon tops because they are sheer, they don't show anything.

HH

I think the program was very well made and everyone who took part in it was very brave in stepping forward and talking about it, thanks for doing this. It would have been even better to maybe show people with hand and feet HH and other treatments i.e. ionto but overall it was very good. Lets hope they are right in what they said in the end about finding a proper cure in five years time (although its probably going to be something like 15)

shazbar

Hi
i have just found this forum.I watched the programme tonight, i thought
it was brilliant.
I can really relate to the lady in Texas. I have hh on the face and body.
It has made me really withdrawn, i packed up my job in a shop after i heard customers commenting on my sweating.
I only really started sweating after i had my children, after my 1st son i had severe sweating for about 3 months and then it cleared up, i put it down to nerves.When i had my 2nd son the sweating started again and has never stopped.I have had it for 14yrs now.

shazbar

freak-or-unique

I'm more than happy to open up Toni :) I think it's more a question of finding an arena to open up in!! It's pretty much a conversation killer when the first thing you come out with is "excuse me but I suffer from..." - at best you get rewarded with an embarrassed smile and often a hasty exit :lol:

I'm so acutely embarrassed sometimes that I find myself apologising in shops etc. I went to get my hair cut yesterday and was hot and sticky and dripping... In fact, I stood outside in the rain so it looked like I got caught in the shower. I felt really awful for the hairdresser as she had to touch me. I avoid touching at all costs. I've forgotten sometimes and hugged visiting family and soaked them, too :oops:

I take all this for granted most of the time, this is the first time I've put it in readable words and only now do I realise how neurotic I feel about it.

I'm only 41 but make an awful lot of remarks about hot flushes so that strangers don't think I'm sweating because I'm just a fat slob!

coriander1992

I thought it was ok...was surprised that it was only women featured, I must've missed that memo :lol:

I think it's a start, but I think we need more of these types of documentries to keep getting the point across to people that HH isn't digusting...it's a condition that we can't do anything about.

Starry01

Hi, I watched the programme last night and felt confused. I particularly was interested in i think (Toni's ??) problem with the underarm hyperhydrosis.

I was astonished when the surgeon said he could not perform the operation to stop the sweating. When i was 19 in 1980 i underwent an operation for the same problem. However, the operation described last night sounded different to what i had. Lungs were certainley not collapsed and definately no after effects. I had 'excision of sweat glands' and to this day i am now 47 and have NEVER sweated under my arms (or elsewhere) since. (Hot flushes aside of course !!) I cannot understand this new operation as mine was so simple. I have never heard of sweating elsewhere to compensate for the underarm probelm.

Please dont give up try and find out about this alternative surgery. OK i have scars under my arms as it wasn't keyhole surgery but i didn't care, it changed my life !!!! Good luck x

ToniStreet

If it's the operation I'm thinking of, I was supposed to have that done about 11 years ago, but I discovered I was pregnant with my 2nd child, so couldn't proceed. By all accounts, surgeons now consider the op you had as old hat!!!! You know how it is, things move on - sadly not always for the better.

The surgeon I saw did tell me about a trial happening in Russia at the moment. I think someone has mentioned it on this forum already. It's the lyposuction one. He told me it could be available in the UK within a couple of years, so fingers crossed, there may be a chink of light at the end of the tunnel.

Toni x