Answering the telephone

Mikefly

Yes it sucks but it's just a part of life, i used to hate doing it and i only pick it up when im in the mood, but i also call alot of people . I'm kinda immune to it these days and tired of worrying about it. Say what you got to say if they don't like ****'em.

MotherWolff

Banned
Say what you got to say if they don't like ****'em.

You know I always try to think that way and I even go as far as telling that to myself out loud(don't worry no one heard me hehe), but Motherwolff can never walk that walk. As with anything that can involve self-evaluation, I am far too concerned with how people will judge me. So it is generally difficult for Motherwolff to come to such a straight-forward conclusion such as, "F" them"! But I know there are folks here(possibly) who can.:cool:

TDemarco

I've always had trouble answering the phone. If I can avoid answering it, I will. I often tell people to just e-mail me because the chances that I'll answer when the call are so slim. When I was at work this summer I had to answer the phone regularly to talk to the (often baselessly angry) public. Whenever I had to make a call myself, I would have to spend at least half an hour steeling myself for what would probably be a short and routine conversation.

Noca

Banned
I used to find this hard and never answered the phone. Now with the help of CBT I can answer phones with little to no anxiety.

Luke1993

I will answer but I'll become very nervous, I feel so uncomfortable talking on the phone it makes the other person feel very awkward. Making a call is out of the question, at best I would have to send a text message.

uykucu

i always have this problem. especially ringing phone from someone who i waiting for. e.g. for job interview.
also calling someone is hard for me.

i want to say more but i can not express due to bad english :(

fife_girl

Answering the phone was just something I'd just NEVER do even if it was family or friends, iv I'm better now and can usually answer and talk on the phone but i don't answer unknown calls and if I'm having not too good a day i find it hard to talk on the phone.
My last partner who i was with last year, which lasted on and off about 15months i found it hard to talk on the phone, it rarely happened, less than a dozen times maybe...we would just text when we were apart.

Try calling someone you feel you could n go from there? Get used to it very slowly?
It worked for me. It can for you, its just really hard sometimes :(

anomicdeer

It's not that is difficult, I find it really annoying when the phone rings and knowing that I am the only one there to answer it.

SpLynx

Yeah, I totally avoid phone calls even from close family members.. I hate phone and skype or using web camera.

emmasma

I was like this until I married a man who does not speak English and (unknown to me) had very grave problems with multiple creditors. I was the only one to negotiate with these awful people who were now beginning to show up with court orders! Had to accept calls, call back, open mail, many, many times, and eventually arrange a second mortgage on the house. I still do not talk on th phone much, but I am not as panicy about answering.

shore_of_glass

when my cellphone rings my heart starts pounding really hard. If I see its a friend or family i get a little better, but if its unknown i just get really anxious.

Harleyq

Answering the phone makes me slightly hesitant but it doesn't bother me. However, it takes me FOREVER to call someone myself because I have to work up the nerve to do so. It takes me between 30 minutes to an hour or more just to dial and then when I do, I feel like I have to do it fast before my courage wears off and I slam the phone down again. That's why it's really bad if people don't pick up - then I have to do the whole process all over again.

hidingfromtheworld

I am the same way..I screen all calls and rarely answer. Even if i have left someone a message and they are returning my call ,,i dont answer. I guess by the time they call me back im just over it. No longer interested in talking to them. I hate it when my phone rings and i usually let it go to voice mail . Its a strange thing this phone ringing. Sometimes its too intense. I usually avoid the phone at all costs.

hidingfromtheworld

Im the same way about having to build the courage to answer or call back. I often lose the desire and slam the phone down too. It has to be the right time and it usually never is. lol

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I don't mind answering it or even making a call, it's just... there's certain calls i can not make. For example, i can't call a doctor or a therapist, but I can call any stranger, a delivery or a friend. It's really curious how these fears can be so selective. I don't understand why.

Catuk

I'm crazy, i have no problem talking on xbox live. but i do not use the phone. Have not used a phone in years. its got me thinking, maybe i should just treat it like talking on xbox live. hmm

Emily_G

I'm much better at answering the phone than I am at making calls. I think because when I go to make a call I think about it too much...what I'm going to say, what they are going to say, etc and I freak myself out. When I answer a call, I have no time to over think.