Anyone here Asian?

mikebird

Banned
Wow I like this.

I like to say I'm English, born in Cornwall and grew up in a forest from an area near to Wales, at a school we could see the Severn Boar through our fence. ::eek::

I've had really special girl friends who found me on Skype who were from Italy, Turkey, Thailand, China, South Africa, the Philippines, and Belgium. We met in London, where most things happen, and I've been to all those countries apart from South Africa or China, and I spent a month all over Thailand, including Bangkok.

I name Skype as "Travelling without moving"
No simple phone call makes proper friends.

I've always had a lifelong question about why so many countries are labelled as Asian? Nothing wrong with that at all; I think of Indian, Chinese, or Japanese, Korean, as individual? Maybe UK & USA brings people together ::p:

miserablecow

Well, in the UK Asian means people of South-Asian descent (Indian, Pakistani, Bengladeshi etc) and other Asian ethnicities as their country of origin.

I'm South-Asian.

hexagon_sun

People tell me I 'act' asian.
Not even 1% asian genetically, though.

LOL.... I used to work for an asian couple as an inside salesman selling taurine, vitamin C and other mysterious powdered substances :thinking: to mfg s that put them into anything from drugs to energy drinks! Anyway, I was told I was hired because they thought being an American (naturalized), I might have a better chance getting through to some of the American companies. As awful as that sounds, it is a fare assumption that Americans automatically screen calls of people with any foreign accents assuming they are telemarketers from india or something. It ended-up that it didn't matter what accent I had after all. Most calls were screened by reception or VMs I rarely got beyond "can I speak to so-and-so? after a couple months when my boss realized I wasn't going to meet my quota, he called me into his office and said he had to let me go. He also told me that I acted more "Asian" than what he was expecting; the stereotype being that Asians aren't as assertive or engaging with clients. I guess that's why they are called stereotypes because they aren't alwasys true! ...incidentally I knew I wasn't a great salesman and might not do well but I was desperate for work and thought I'd give it a try. You live and you learn!