Beauty!!Inner vs Outer

springk

Beauty is something that is subjective and each one has a different notion of it.

In general it is said that inner beauty is all that matters. Even if you are not beautiful/handsome(good looks) etc it does not matter as long your beautiful inside.

My experiences show me that nobody has so much time know your nature or your bful heart when you first meet them, most people are carried away by the looks.

second, if they stay with you longer and even become acquaintances they will still prefer someone more good looking than you(if you are not good looking).

What i am saying is that most people are attracted to handsome people and the "ugly" (note the quote) are treated as second rate citizens.

no one will say it to you on face but they will make you feel you are"ugly" consciously or unconsciouslly.

My question. Do you think that society or in general humankind is preoccupied with beauty and there are discrimination based on it?

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
My question. Do you think that society or in general humankind is preoccupied with beauty
Watch TV for an hour. Make note of how all the people look--including in the commercials. Then go to the grocery store and note the appearance of everyone on the cover of a magazine. Then look around at the actual people in the grocery store and compare, and ask yourself that question again.
and there are discrimination based on it?
Many, many studies have shown this to be the case.

coyote

Watch TV for an hour. Make note of how all the people look--including in the commercials. Then go to the grocery store and note the appearance of everyone on the cover of a magazine. Then look around at the actual people in the grocery store and compare, and ask yourself that question again.

people in my area would look just like the tv and magazine people

except for that extra layer of fat to keep us warm

and pale skin that has never seen the light of day

and all the hairy faces to guard against the winter wind (men mostly)

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
people in my area would look just like the tv and magazine people

except for that extra layer of fat to keep us warm

and all the hairy faces to guard against the winter wind (men mostly)

23fb606bce725350dad7a3045755fb2c.jpg
?

laure15

When people say inner beauty matters more than outer, I wonder if it's just lip service. Especially when beautiful people say it, I wonder if they're just saying it to make the "uglier" people feel better. These beautiful people go around telling other people not to get plastic surgery, not put on too much makeup, etc. If they were born "uglier", will they be saying the same things?

There are studies that show that people are more attracted to other people who possess "baby features" such as round eyes, pug nose, and pouty lips. I think it's impossible for us to be unbiased because all of us judge others according to their appearances, whether we realize it or not.

planemo

The "inner beauty is all that matters" saying is just an idealist way of thinking. Maybe deep down we try to convince ourselves that this statement is true, since we don't want to face the fact that we tend to be more shallow than we want to acknowledge. If we really placed no importance on the triviality of our appearance I don't think our language would have created the words "ugly" and "beautiful" to differentiate between the two.

Our appearance may prompt a particular response ie that beauty is more favourable to supposed ugliness, but it can never tell the whole story of a person. How people respond to us is based a lot on our appearance and i think we're kidding ourselves if we deny this. However in saying that we can never know what a person is truly like from just what we see on the outside. the more we get to know the person the more we get to see the real them.

so in short. both matter... :p

KiaKaha

Banned
Looks matter. Whether you are attractive or not - people will to an extent treat you in a particular way based on your appearance.

I am not entirely sure that beauty is in the eye of the beholder - I think that is what unattractive people say to make them feel better about themselves - or what attractive people say to not make them sound mean and shallow.... even though everyone is pretty much.

etc and so forth...

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I personally care more about personality than looks. But I care way too much about my own looks. I was just whining about this matter a while back. About how I feel unattractive, ugly, disgusting, not good enough for me and my mate. And how I'll never be good enough.

I made plans to cease eating for some time (maybe 2 days of not eating, then having a small snack, then back to diet) until I go back to my original weight. Maybe, just maybe, people will quit telling me that I look "chubby". Maybe the comments from guys who say they'd never date an unattractive or "fat" woman will start touching me less. Maybe I'll start feeling like I'm worthy enough.

Sorry if I went off topic. I feel like crap.

What's wrong with pale skin?

I'm pale and I used to see the light of day all the time (admittedly not as much lately). I just don't tan.

Look at all the Caucasian celebrities, and notice how many of them are pale. Nicole Kidman, Madonna, Amanda Seyfried, Anne Hathaway, even Robert Pattinson (ew... but apparently he's a heartthrob :idontknow:). Pale is attractive if you know how to work it, and everyone knows tanning is bad for you. I've seen some of the aforementioned celebrities with tans, but most of the time they're pale as far as I can tell.

Don't be hatin' coyote :giggle:

takeheart

Well for me I get judged a lot based on my outside appearance. People could go on and say inner beauty is the most important, it is indeed but today’s society judges based on outer appearance. It's wrong but its the way it is. I personally don't give a damn what one looks like. I don't care about anyone's looks whatsoever!!!

KiaKaha

Banned
The "inner beauty is all that matters" saying is just an idealist way of thinking. Maybe deep down we try to convince ourselves that this statement is true, since we don't want to face the fact that we tend to be more shallow than we want to acknowledge. If we really placed no importance on the triviality of our appearance I don't think our language would have created the words "ugly" and "beautiful" to differentiate between the two.

Our appearance may prompt a particular response ie that beauty is more favourable to supposed ugliness, but it can never tell the whole story of a person. How people respond to us is based a lot on our appearance and i think we're kidding ourselves if we deny this. However in saying that we can never know what a person is truly like from just what we see on the outside. the more we get to know the person the more we get to see the real them.

so in short. both matter... :p

Well said. It is unfortunate that most of us will merely dismiss a person based on extraordinarily trivial factors or a fleeing first impression.

We live in a highly shallow world - what I find interesting - is that no one wants to admit it.

Well attraction is a very different thing to beauty. You can be attracted to simebody who isnt conventionally beautiful. Me personally, Im not attracted to prettyboys.In any case looks all fade. A good Personality only gets better

WishingICould

Looks definitely do matter. That's just a fact. However if i was physically attracted to somebody then i got to know them and found out that they were not such a nice person their physical attractiveness wouldn't be as attractive. A relationship can't just be based on somebodies bra size or eye colour. Personality goes a long way.

Starry

Well attraction is a very different thing to beauty. You can be attracted to simebody who isnt conventionally beautiful. Me personally, Im not attracted to prettyboys.In any case looks all fade. A good Personality only gets better

I agree... A lot of my crushes were on people who I can look at objectively and say they're definitely not good looking, in fact, some of them border on "ugly", but they were still attractive to me.

BamanPiderman

I find that sometimes when someone has an attractive personality their outer appearance also becomes attractive, even if I thought they were just average-looking to begin with.

KiaKaha

Banned
If you happen to be a bitch (or a jerk or what have you) then no amount of looks will make you attractive.... except perhaps others with an over inflated ego and sense of shallow entitlement.