Citalopram

Noca

Banned
I've never tried the drug though I've tried its active isomer, Lexapro, was on 30mgs before stopping it for then Paxil and now Remeron.

FOR REAL

Banned
aye me, i had it a few years back, it think it was 40mg a day for depression, the docs in scotland seem to all like this drug (you should see them at dinner time :D)
seriously though it made me feel good, but i stopped cause i felt better, i think i might start it again, the only drawback for me was a sweet sickly kind of feeling.
if its working for you that great, its not got a bad name like fluoxitine(prozac) or seroxat.

im taking dosulepin at the moment. theres that many dif ones its hard to find the best one for each individual

getbornagain

Tried it. It was the first medication I ever used, it lifted my depression but I relapsed OCD-wise and my psyche switched me to prozac. It was probably a premature switch, since I was only on 20 mg and still adjusting but whatever. Most SSRIs are very similar with minor chemical differences, you just gotta find the one that works for you. I'm on 60 mg prozac. **** OCD.

Kinetik

I was on it for about a month (like the above poster, it was the first med my doctor prescribed me) and it made me so fatigued that I could barely get out of bed in the morning. It didn't do too much for my anxiety or OCD but it did improve my depression. Overall it wasn't really worth it.

cobalt_bluester

hi. i am glad that they have helped you. I am still searching for some meds that can help me. I am beginning to think that nothing will.

dixiegirl

I just started taking Citalopram today. I've never taken an SSRI or anti-depressant before.

How long does it typically take to start feeling better?

Kinetik

I just started taking Citalopram today. I've never taken an SSRI or anti-depressant before.

How long does it typically take to start feeling better?

You should feel a difference by two to three weeks. If you're new to meds, try to think about the different aspects of what you suffer from, and split them up in your mind so you can gauge how the citalopram is treating each offshoot, whether anxiety, OCD, depression, etc. You may find that it really helps in one area but does nothing in the other. So make at least a mental note of how it's affecting you, and go back to your doctor if you feel it's not the med for you. The idea is to eventually find something that covers most, if not all your bases, and if you check in regularly with your doc and are diligent about this whole thing, you are very likely to find a good long-term solution, provided any side-effects are tolerable and/or temporary.

Last edited:

dixiegirl

You should feel a difference by two to three weeks. If you're new to meds, try to think about the different aspects of what you suffer from, and split them up in your mind so you can gauge how the citalopram is treating each offshoot, whether anxiety, OCD, depression, etc. You may find that it really helps in one area but does nothing in the other. So make at least a mental note of how it's affecting you, and go back to your doctor if you feel it's not the med for you. The idea is to eventually find something that covers most, if not all your bases, and if you check in regularly with your doc and are diligent about this whole thing, you are very likely to find a good long-term solution, provided any side-effects are tolerable and/or temporary.

Thanks! I will definitely do that.

Does this kind of medication by any chance have a placebo effect? I feel "better" already. But that must just be from finally taking the step to try meds, right?

Kinetik

Does this kind of medication by any chance have a placebo effect? I feel "better" already. But that must just be from finally taking the step to try meds, right?

It's possible that there's an initial placebo effect, absolutely. I have the same thing when I pop a headache pill - I notice my headache disappears almost instantly merely because I took the pill and have faith in it working. But the citalopram does take some time to sink into your system as a whole, and so it's only really at that point that you'll know how it's treating you definitively. But since this is the first SSRI you're on, treat it with an experimental mindset, and know that there's always other options out there if it's not working out. ::eek::

scruffpot

toook me a while tog et one it tried 20mg felt like crap moved to 40 now feeling a lot better im a bit wacked and zombiefied at times, but tis better then how i ahd been feeling so its one thing or another

Noca

Banned
toook me a while tog et one it tried 20mg felt like crap moved to 40 now feeling a lot better im a bit wacked and zombiefied at times, but tis better then how i ahd been feeling so its one thing or another

glad to hear they working for you :D

iamthenra

I was on it for over 2 years... I was at 40mg qd . I blacked out while on the drug, and that is why I quit taking it. It only helped the depression, and in me, it made the anxiety worse.

Noca

Banned

The placebo effect is thought to be caused by endorphin release in the body.

This Is Going To Be a Very Stupid Question I think, But i Need To Ask..

What Effect Does Drinking On Citalopram Have On Your Mind??? Last Late dec i Had a SEVERE SEVERE Paranoia and Anxiety Attack thinking my wee cuz had fell out with me(She has Now but im talking back then) She didnt answer a text of mine and that was like dropping a match on petrol and It was like i was living in another reality..:(

Can Anybody Relate to to that???

getbornagain

This Is Going To Be a Very Stupid Question I think, But i Need To Ask..

What Effect Does Drinking On Citalopram Have On Your Mind??? Last Late dec i Had a SEVERE SEVERE Paranoia and Anxiety Attack thinking my wee cuz had fell out with me(She has Now but im talking back then) She didnt answer a text of mine and that was like dropping a match on petrol and It was like i was living in another reality..:(

Can Anybody Relate to to that???

You won't die or be extra drunk or anything, but the meds won't work as well as they could if you constantly drink. I drank every weekend I was on citalopram and was fine, but maybe that's why it crapped out on me after a while?