Do you often get paranoid?

Hellraising

Do you often think that there's like hidden cameras or mics in your home, or like someone's outside with a binoculars spying on you or something?

redlady

Mmmm... can't say that i have. I only get paranoid when my little brother is late coming home and it's dark outside.

lost_at_sea

Hellraising said:
Do you often think that there's like hidden cameras or mics in your home, or like someone's outside with a binoculars spying on you or something?

I used get get those feelings quite a lot - I found them really unpleasant and upsetting at the time. The thing is, it wasn't that I was completely convinced I was in some sort of 'Truman show' or 'Big Brother' scenario but more that I couldn't be absolute sure that I wasn't, it was like some nagging thought that was constantly rearing its head, this probably sounds bizarre to most but that nagging thought right at the back of my mind was enough for me to become very self-conscious and uptight even in my own company. I think these unpleasant thoughts were a symptom of quite a bad spell I was going through in terms of depression and perhaps not really understanding what I was going through with sa. It doesn't mean that you are mad, I'm certainly not, if you believed these thoughts unconditionally, 100% then I think there would be more cause for concern.

As I got older, read plenty of literature on the subject of sa, spoke to people for whom sa affected and just generally became more au fait and in tune with what I was going through, I found these thoughts slowly disappeared.

Fredscars

Hellraising said:
All the time. Whereever i am, i think im being filmed of bugged.
Everyone in the street has a knife i think theyre going to stab me with, and the worst is the man hiding in my wardrobe ready to stab me when im asleep. I get myself so worked up about that one. My nightly decision is: do i open the door and find him, or do i sleep and so he can kill me when im asleep.
:roll:
when im up and about i know its stupid, but in bed, or in the evening, jeez...

oh and any kind of noise in the night is people breaking in.
i remember one night there was this loud lot of noises, and i was certain that somebody was using a laser to cut through the windows. Ended up being a cat fight.

Crimefish

Yep. And I also worry that people can hear my thoughts.
But whenever I think that, I remind myself that if people could hear my thoughts they wouldn't be so clueless about me.

Yossarian

As a teenager I used to have quite a few paranoid thoughts. Stopping smoking weed helped alot lol. Stuff happened and I had more urgent and important things to worry about so these thoughts kind of disappeared over time. Thankfully they haven't returned.

Scottish_Player

I go through times of paranoia thinkging people are out there too ruin me, especialy in work i feel as if everyone is talking about me when iam not there.I wouldnt say i have it at its worst but its kinda there at the back of my mind.

Fredscarcrow i think there is someone under my bed or in my wardrobe also peaking out from the little gap in the middle watching me, before i go to bed at night i check the worderobe and under the bed just to make sure, i know its daft but i just gotta do it to let me know everything is ok i also hate sitting on my bed just before i go into it at night as i always think a hand is going to come out from underneath and grab my ankles ( i think i have been watching to many horror films :roll: )

Angie_05

[quote="Fredscarecrow]
Everyone in the street has a knife i think theyre going to stab me with, and the worst is the man hiding in my wardrobe ready to stab me when im asleep. I get myself so worked up about that one. My nightly decision is: do i open the door and find him, or do i sleep and so he can kill me when im asleep.

i remember one night there was this loud lot of noises, and i was certain that somebody was using a laser to cut through the windows. Ended up being a cat fight.[/quote]

I do the same thing. I think it's part of my GAD, I dunno. I am always scared to get up and go to the bathroom in the middle of the night because I have to walk by the empty bedroom at the back of the house. I think somehow a robber is in there, like they got through the window, and is going to grab me. I freak out when I hear noises too at night.

black_mamba

Or or or!!

When you see odd shapes in the night. Once I left my clothes on a chair and they hung in the shape of a person. I didn't dare peek up from under my duvet in case it moved. 8O

The only time I think I'm being filmed is when I'm doing somethig naughty, then its a problem if I'm caught on camera. Ya know? :D

IceLad

IceLad

I get paranoid that people see all my 'mistakes' when I'm out and about, and I give myself a hard time as a result.

kattness

ive always been dead paranoid and in the end it lead to mild OCD..... but yeah i always think people can see and hear me - weird but its something i cant seem to shake, sucks.

Sue

Crimefish said:
Yep. And I also worry that people can hear my thoughts.
But whenever I think that, I remind myself that if people could hear my thoughts they wouldn't be so clueless about me.

i always felt this way and it wrecks my head. i think is a mind reader and know how i feel and what im thinking there and then.

and i always think there are cameras in the mirrors in club bathrooms.
i cant shake that feeling. its horrible :?

Fredscars

i used to think that people could hear my thoughts..but then one day i just told myself "i'll be damned if im that useless, that everyone else can hear people's thoughts, but i can't hear anybody"
and the thoughts have kind of gone away now

wutnow

lost_at_sea said:
Hellraising said:
I think these unpleasant thoughts were a symptom of quite a bad spell I was going through in terms of depression and perhaps not really understanding what I was going through with sa.

Yeah, I agree. The paranoia was the night cap on the pity party for me :roll:.

It was a way to explain the roll of bad luck/ unmade luck/ lost oppurtunity/ etc. :oops: It was so bad, it had to be a conspiracy, right?

Funny aside: I had a 60's-built apartment in college (thin walls, no insulation) and was always paranoid that my neighbor could smell the weed. I turned off the heat so my apartment would be cold as hell so that the heat gradient would have the air flowing from warm to cold, so any dope smoke would stay in my apartment. I also had a big cardbord 'core' (aka 36" long cardboard tube) from a roll of newsprint that I stuffed with various types of fabric and cotton balls to act as a big dope smoke filter. I got it to where no visible smoke would come out the other end other than a slow trickle (no billowing cloud). It was perfect.

Then one day my neighbor comes over and asks if I want to get high and watch a baseball game. He says he knew I got high cause he'd been smelling it for months. So I'm freezing my ass off and blowing a big cardboard tube for absolutely nothing :roll:.

One thing that still gets me is PA (public address) systems, or speaker/ intercom-type things. I always wonder if it's a speaker and a microphone as well. In other words, 'they' can hear what you're saying. A speaker (bell annunciator/ alarm) in an employee lunch room for instance. It could be a microphone. Couldn't it?

Meatwad

I just worry about hidden cameras in bathrooms and dressing rooms. And sometimes worry if people can see my through the windows in the house. It really freaks me out to be night time and have the lights on with the blinds or shutters open at all, because you can see right in.

Ads7800

Fredscarecrow said:

i remember one night there was this loud lot of noises, and i was certain that somebody was using a laser to cut through the windows. Ended up being a cat fight.

I used to feel very similar when trying to sleep at night. I always thought that someone was going to come into the room and slit my throat or put an axe in my head. Noises were the worst. I believed that this was it, the end, the killer was coming in.
These thoughts could only be blocked by the sound of the radio. When a CD stopped and I had to get up and change it, I was in agony about being killed there and then. I always went to bed with music playing for over ten years.
But, after toughing it out a few years ago and just leaving the radio off three nights in a row, I got used to it and most of the feelings are gone. They resurface occasionally.

tomboysue

I don't worry that people are spying on me, but when i'm outside and i pass a group of people, especially teenagers, i convinced that thay are laughing behind my back.

susan