Does quiet equal creepy?

Felgen

I did a google on the word 'creepy' and found articles about what was creepy and how you didn't come off as creepy. Most of these articles mentioned being quiet and standoffish-ness as one of the factors that make you creepy.

Does anyone have any opibions about this? I for one do not see what makes a person that doesn't talk much creepy.

moni10

I wouldn't expect (anymore) people take being quiet for being profound.They perceive you immediately as a weird one.

lunaticbinge

Neither do I but thats how people seem to label me. I think this can depend on your overall demeanor but it also depends on the people observing you. Some people have been raised on constant socialization. They are always talking with friends, family, coworkers and then they see someone like you or me come along and think something is "wrong" with us. I always hear people say "Are you OK? Your not talking at all!", which would suggest that my brevity is a negative. Even without my social anxiety I am naturally quiet and simply don't want to talk as much as everyone else. I think these folk are just not used to our kind.

Last edited:
U

userremoved

Also people fear the unknown and what they don't understand and ofcourse you can't really know much about a quiet person other than the fact that they're quiet. I think it's BS but that seems to be the way things are. People should start using reason instead of instinct all the time that would solve a lot of problems.

I think quite the opposite. My opinion remains unbiased about a person until I've spoken to them for an extended period of time. It's stereotyping on their part.. I've been called a frisky-rapist from across the street before by someone whom I didn't know. Well, he mentioned it to the person next to him, he said it loud enough for me to hear it perfectly.

Merely because I was that focused quiet type. It was a middle aged guy. I had half a mind of giving him one hell of a speech on how NOT to treat people.

Prejudges. Fun, right? :/

Sinar_Matahari

No. "Creepy" has nothing to do with being quiet or talkative. When there is something not quite right about a person, others can sense it. I'm not even sure how to describe it. It's just a feeling I get about certain people.

I recently met a man who is very social and talkative, but there is something very off about him and I'm not the only one who has noticed.

lunaticbinge

No. "Creepy" has nothing to do with being quiet or talkative. When there is something not quite right about a person, others can sense it. I'm not even sure how to describe it. It's just a feeling I get about certain people.

I recently met a man who is very social and talkative, but there is something very off about him and I'm not the only one who has noticed.

But who's to say who is creepy and who isn't? That man could have been completely normal (whatever that means) for all you know. I've been called creepy around people i'm socially anxious around and people I could comfortably talk to. Even if you get a vibe off of someone that doesn't mean anything unless you get to know them.

KiaKaha

Banned
I think Creepy is all dependent on the person making the assessment. While one person may find someone creepy, another person might find that same someone to be quite charming. It is simply a matter of who we can identify with more.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I'm not sure if this falls under the "creepy" category but a lot of times whenever someone would talk about my quietness it would be followed with "It's always the quiet ones" or "One day he'll bring a gun to school." (in a joking, but still stereotyping, way) That's just the bad stuff though.

A quiet person is often not very well-known by the people around them, so there's a lot of room for speculation about who they are. That may mean giving them "creepy" qualities or "sensitive" ones or even "Mysterious" qualities. I think in most cases it would be appropriate to say a quiet person is "misunderstood," for better or worse.

fitftw

I remember hearing somewhere that wise people only talk when absolutely necessary. Fools talk to pass time or to hide awkward silences.

Sinar_Matahari

But who's to say who is creepy and who isn't? That man could have been completely normal (whatever that means) for all you know. I've been called creepy around people i'm socially anxious around and people I could comfortably talk to. Even if you get a vibe off of someone that doesn't mean anything unless you get to know them.

Fair enough...You may be able to relate to being unjustly called creepy, but that doesn't necessarily mean that my feeling about this guy was wrong. I don't just talk to someone for five minutes and decide that they're creepy. Besides, it wasn't just the vibe I got from this man. When someone exhibits a complete lack of concern for another person's well being/wishes and repeatedly attempts to impose his or her wishes on an a person who is unwilling, that seems a bit off to me. Then again, I could be completely wrong.

Sleep is Evil

Yeah for sure. I don't think quiet = creepy, I think creepy = creepy. I don't know what it is either, but you just get those weird vibes. Where as just a normal quiet person, you probably know nothing about them, so they are more of a complete mystery to you. I don't know but there are just certain people where something is not right about them. Like it's not obvious what it is, but you can just sense it.

U

userremoved

Re: Sleep is Evil

Yeah for sure. I don't think quiet = creepy, I think creepy = creepy. I don't know what it is either, but you just get those weird vibes. Where as just a normal quiet person, you probably know nothing about them, so they are more of a complete mystery to you. I don't know but there are just certain people where something is not right about them. Like it's not obvious what it is, but you can just sense it.

I will admit now though that I have gotten "creepy" vibes from people before also, but not because they were quiet. For example I saw at school sitting down and reading something and I saw a guy I've spoken to previously walk by. When I looked at him he was glaring angrily at me and then his expression changed and he smiled and waved. o_O I don't know if it was me, or if he was thinking about something that made him mad and just happened to be looking at me. But that creeped me the hell out. And he's quite the outgoing person.

Dust

Quiet people creep people out so to some quiet might equal perfect victim because that´s how bullies and such fight things they don´t understand.

Dust

^ I can relate to that. People often think you´re arrogant just because you don´t want to talk all the time.
Sometimes it´s better and healthier to keep your mouth shut but then again it´s often hard to open your mouth in the first place. Words can destroy things but not saying anything destroys things too.

Waybuloo

Lol first of all you have a lot of time on your hands. You should also google images and videos on creepy to get the full picture :)

I've never been called creepy, just quiet, but I think they are either concerned or try to get me to talk. People generally don't like those that don't talk and divulge about their lives and what they think. When most people in a social setting are chatting and gossiping, others know where they stand and how to treat them accordingly, especially in a work environment. Those that don't share are potentially 'dangerous' wild cards.

But I believe most people are intuitive, there are so many little nuances and quirks in voice, expression and mannerisms that can provide information on whether someone is 'creepy'. To me someone is creepy if they are too forward, don't blink and very intense. Someone who's quiet is just reserved or snobby, or shy.