Does quiet equal creepy?

Waybuloo

^ I can relate to that. People often think you´re arrogant just because you don´t want to talk all the time.
Sometimes it´s better and healthier to keep your mouth shut but then again it´s often hard to open your mouth in the first place. Words can destroy things but not saying anything destroys things too.

Hehe is it better to appear dumb or kill all suspicions by opening your mouth? Thats a hard one. *scratches head*

Dust

Hehe is it better to appear dumb or kill all suspicions by opening your mouth? Thats a hard one. *scratches head*

That´s right. I don´t want everybody to know how dumb I really am. People tend to assume that silent waters run deep. I wouldn´t want to destroy their illusions. ;)

And isn´t it a fact that it´s mostly the quiet ones that go out and become serial killers? Maybe that´s why people leave me alone because they think they´re next.

Waybuloo

That´s right. I don´t want everybody to know how dumb I really am. People tend to assume that silent waters run deep. I wouldn´t want to destroy their illusions. ;)

And isn´t it a fact that it´s mostly the quiet ones that go out and become serial killers? Maybe that´s why people leave me alone because they think they´re next.

When you put it that way, there seems to be two positives with remaining quiet - maintaining an illusion of deep waters lol, and keeping people off your case lest you do a serial killer on them.:eek:

Actually my psychiatrist from way back said to me that 'sometimes it's better to be quiet and mysterious'. I also had a random man on the train say to me that sometimes 'being quiet is not so bad', cause he saw how quiet I was amongst my schoolmates.

I am all for keeping up the charade if not for my frequent blushing that gives the game away. A big DAMN.

Feathers

LOL!!

Well, sometimes I've said dumb things and people thought I was CREATIVE or trying to be funny on purpose!! he he..

Well, I've been even called 'peaceful' on account of being 'quiet', long time since then.. and I scratched my head with that for a while too, lol..!!
(I'm anything but.. lol!!)

lol I think you guys have a totally wicked sense of humor, and probably just need to let it out more often?? :)

Feathers

yup, being mysterious can totally work too, especially with men.. but not too mysterious.. then they don't know you're interested... ahh!!

Last edited:

Dust

Yea, well, I think people who talk way too much are creepy and annoying. I mean why do some people think I want to hear everything about their day at the zoo or about their children having toothache or how many miles they jogged yesterday? I didn´t ask you so shut it and leave. Maybe I should tell them to think before they say anything otherwise they´re next on my to-kill-list.

hippiechild

Most of the time "creepy" isn't anything more than an externalization and distancing through devaluation of one's own fears/insecurities.

"Hmm.. that was really awkward, I can't believe that that went so badly. I'm not bad at socializing though! Yeah, they were just creepy (and made me question my overly coddled sense of self)!!"

It's interesting that very often creepy stems from quiet, because that puts the creep-sayer in the position of meticulously, almost voyeuristically, observing someone who they don't know.

"Oh em gee, that person that I've been watching sit alone for the last hour... what a creep"

More interestingly, "creepy" comes up even more readily when someone is caught in the act of watching: If you're sitting quietly, reading and catch someone who has been watching you, the chances of you being labeled creepy skyrocket!

haha.. I don't know, but there certainly are unusual cases of creep calling.
e.g. a girl that I hadn't known for 5 years spotted me playing basketball shirtless in my driveway... she made sure to describe the scene as "creepy" (mind you, my driveway is loooong and in the middle of the goddamn woods) ::p:

Last edited:

tweetebird

I think Creepy is all dependent on the person making the assessment. While one person may find someone creepy, another person might find that same someone to be quite charming. It is simply a matter of who we can identify with more.

I absolutely agree with your statement :) And this can apply to many other descriptive words. Boring, Obnoxious, Snobby, it's all an indication of the viewer, NOT the person being described! I have FINALLY learned this valuable life lesson this year that it's all about perspective, and that sometimes, more than one truth can exist. There is no final say about anyone, every person will have a different view, all that matters is what we know about ourselves. Its all about compatibility. Do you think Paris Hilton and Albert Einstein would have anything to talk about?? No ;)

I have been called quiet all my life. I always take offense to it. Even a friend I thought I was pretty close to described me as "soooo quiet". Ouch. Guess she didn't know me well enough to know that would sting. Why can't I be described as a great listener instead? To be honest, I don't feel the need to yak non stop like others do, so I naturally take the listening and responding role in conversations, especially when I am just getting to know someone. I think in general though, my overall thought processes are not as 'verbal' as others. I think more in analytical or idea form, so I've never had the gift of gab :rolleyes:

Quiet being equated with creepy is not surprising to me. For some people it's super awkward. Personally, it only makes me awkward because I can tell OTHERS are awkward. Think about that for a second.....

To spend time with someone who doesn't get flustered by a moment or two of reflection is really great. I think it's a sign of maturity and self confidence. I would like nothing more than friendships that allow for comfortable silence without it being viewed as social leprosy :rolleyes: I don't understand why many people need constant chatter to feel comfortable.

fife_girl

No. "Creepy" has nothing to do with being quiet or talkative. When there is something not quite right about a person, others can sense it. I'm not even sure how to describe it. It's just a feeling I get about certain people.

I recently met a man who is very social and talkative, but there is something very off about him and I'm not the only one who has noticed.

agreed... its in the eyes n just their.....energy/vibe??

N0D

Banned
So if a person is decided to be "creepy" it would make you want to avoid them? Does "creepy" mean that you think they might be a psycho or something? I hope I don't sound stupid but I don't think I understand what the term "creepy" means.

sam89

In a group of people who know, or should know each other closely, often a silent person I think indicates that something is off. I've been there a lot, and many people asked me before "What's wrong? Are you Okay?!" I don't know... maybe its taken for granted that people within the group are interested and they 'wanna' be there, and they always share what they think, being free from any fear or anxiety...

IGotSeoul

Imo, there's a distinction between "creepy" and "quiet". However, the two can coincide if certain measures are met. But no, quiet does not definitively equal creepy alone.

There are multiple determining factors of creepy and quiet. It just so happens that on occasion, quiet people may hold similar attribute to creepy people through social gesture and behavior (i.e. paranoia, unease). The fact that quiet people do not always comfortably immerse into social norms can also attribute to creepiness, according to some people.

While there is no definite way to objectify how others perceive you subjectively, I think it is completely dependent on your social perspective and being, contrasted with what others feel.

I personally do not think quiet people are creepy at all. However, people who deviate far from social norms, exerting their deviance and overall, making others who (or are trying to) conform uncomfortable, are creepy (i.e. undesirable, putting at unease, more importantly -- repulsive).

Last edited: