Gamers thread

Klonoa

Turtle power indeed. :) A turtles game for the Wii sounds like fun! Let me know how that plays out. I don't have a Wii, but my sister does and I'm always trying to get to use it. Do you have a bunch of systems? I just have a 360 and a few retro consoles. My favorite turtle is Mikey, since he's adorable and I'm a dork. :b

I only have a Wii, and it was by miracle. Due lack of money, I wasn't even going to buy a 7th generation console (although I was saving for a Wii, but I was nowhere near), but I won mine on a raffle. Of course, happiest day, for I felt it was my duty to look and play EVERY hidden gem on the console, knowing that the "hardcore" crowd weren't willing to give the console a chance.

And I regret nothing, I played plenty of unique, fun and challenging games. And plenty of legitimately creepy survival horror games!

However, due me being busy lately I haven't tried the game still, but a friend told me "kinda think Arkham Asylum. But with less Dark Knight and more Pizza Power".

Which in my book, is completely awesome. I CAN tell you though, about the previous Ninja Turtle games.

937400_83110_front.jpg

This is a pretty fun adventure game. It actually made quite plenty of use of the Turtles' ninja skills by giving them some parkour skills. Which makes sense, it was made by Ubisoft, same guys as the Prince of Persia games from Sands of Time onwards. It manages to competently avoid "The Problem with Liscenced Games" rather well.

TMNTSmashUp_box.jpg

And this is a fighting game using a modified version of the Super Smash Bros. Brawl engine, and also using the artstyle of the 2007 TMNT film. It's pretty fun to play with friends, and there's a solo arcade mode as well. Basically it's Brawl with TMNT cast instead of Nintendo cast.

Also, Michelangelo is awesome.

tumblr_m8l25ktN3G1qgb8kp.jpg

JuiceB

I thought I'd buy and play COD Ghosts since I've been away from the franchise for so long. Seems like some things never change.

Ignace

I thought I'd buy and play COD Ghosts since I've been away from the franchise for so long. Seems like some things never change.

Indeed. I understand that they think "never change a winning team", but copy pasting maps and sequences from previous games is a bit too far. At least for that price level.

Klonoa

Project M 3.0 Trailer - YouTube

OH MY GAH, ALL OF THIS HYPE.

Mewtwo was always my favorite Pokémon and when Brawl came out I was really bummed Marth was in it but Roy wasn't, when Roy was obviously the superior character.

This is looking so good... Can't wait!!!!

Played ''Burial at Sea - episode 1'', the DLC for BioShock Infinite. It's pretty good story wise, although not very meaty. Then again, there's another episode coming - so there'll be more.

I can live with that it was short - but I ran into many, many bugs/rough patches that ended up annoying me. Like interactable buttons not functioning (number locks), respawning splicers, freeze-game loading when you're sneaking amongst enemies, and other ungraceful things like it.

The times that it did function properly it was quite a lot of fun. Looking forward to the next one.

Klonoa

So, I have the Metroid Prime Trilogy set.
It was my first time trying the Prime games (Hunters doesn't count, due the whole Halo fanbase pandering) because during the NGC era I didn't particularily care for the series (I can't get into most future sci-fi videogame franchises, with the exception of Mega Man), until I played Other M and fell in love with the atmosphere, lore and main character Samus Aran.

I now played Metroid, Metroid 2, Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, as well played Metroid Prime. I'm taking the Trilogy in order, and I already finished Prime 1, which I liked, but had a hard time adjusting to it at first. And Meta Ridley can go to hell.

I have now moved to Prime 2, got dark and light beams, dark armor, super missles, plenty of missle expansions and 4 energy tanks... I'm in Torvus Bog, where I assume I'll get this game's version of the Gravity Suit, the loads of water just made me savvy enough already to know what to expect after Other M, Super and Fusion.

So far, despite what most people have said online, I'm enjoying Prime 2 MUCH more than Prime 1. I know Prime went for a "loneliness" vibe, but it all seemed to me rather... barren. Although I loved Phendrana Drifts, because I absolutely LOVE ice/snow-themed locations in videogames. They make me feel... strangely comfortable.

Either way, I think the reason I'm enjoying Prime 2 more, is because it feels more... Zelda-like (a franchise I absolutely adore). The whole Light-Dark Worlds thing is so obviously A Link to the Past, the Luminoth Lore seems to me far more interesting than the previous game's Chozo lore, and having actual messages with NPCs, such as U-Mos, and the Key-bearers' recorded holograms feels very much like Zelda's conversations between Link and the Sages/Maidens/Whathaveyou.

I particularily ADORE U-Mos' theme. It's been stuck in my head for days now.

Metroid Prime 2 Echoes Soundtrack - U-Mos's Account Theme - YouTube

Ithior

Anyone still plays World of Warcraft? Haven't played since Mists of Pandaria was released, but I've been feeling nostalgic lately. I would probably only play a few hours if I were to play alone though, which to me isn't worth the money.

Btw, I'm from Europe so unfortunately I can't play with americans I think.

Klonoa

I'm sorry, I don't play. Although I believe there are private servers made by fans/other people and they can play with anyone from anywhere. At least I recall so in Ragnarok Online...

Ack, my thumbs hurt.

Finally, after so much I defeated the final boss of Donkey Kong Country Returns for Wii, Tiki Tong. But before that I decided to get all the KONG letters in all the levels of the first 2 Worlds, in order to access their respective hidden "Key Temple".

So much platforming... So much quick-reaction. Ow.

But... it's that kind of fair challenge, you know? That the challenge is hard but can be done if you try over and over. each time you get further and that kinda motivates you.

Also, the soundtrack. All my nostalgia.

30 - Voices of the Temple Returns ~ Donkey Kong Country Returns Soundtrack - YouTube

Ithior

Finished XCOM Enemy Unknown but didn't manage to watch the last scene because my mum had to interrupt me. Going to have to play the last part again so I can maybe watch it this time, but I guess I won't be as lucky as in the last game...

squidgee

Scumbag Australian Classification Board, there are more than a few games that I can't purchase legally because apparently we can't handle it and will turn us into psychotic gunmen.

In the meantime, I am replaying a whole bunch of Bioware RPGs.

DepravedFurball

Scumbag Australian Classification Board, there are more than a few games that I can't purchase legally because apparently we can't handle it and will turn us into psychotic gunmen.

In the meantime, I am replaying a whole bunch of Bioware RPGs.

Dragon Age Origins and #2? DA3 is coming out, supposedly, in Q3 of 2014.

DepravedFurball

I got bored by the ME series, even though the style was right up my alley. Never played Jade Empire, though... Might have to find a copy at the local GameStop.

Oh, wait. Now I understand why I'd never heard of it. Was X-box only, and I've got the PS3. :p

squidgee

I got bored by the ME series, even though the style was right up my alley. Never played Jade Empire, though... Might have to find a copy at the local GameStop.

Oh, wait. Now I understand why I'd never heard of it. Was X-box only, and I've got the PS3. :p

If you've got a PC, they released Jade Empire: Special Edition two years after its release on Xbox. That's the version I played. It's a decent game I guess, but I ran into several crashes and the combat is quite different from what Bioware usually do.

DepravedFurball

I rarely do any PC gaming anymore. Tend to stick to the consoles... might actually start to change the trend, though, since I can't really see myself buying one of the latest-gen ones that just came out.

Though... hmm.... might need a dedicated desktop PC instead of a lappy...

squidgee

I rarely do any PC gaming anymore. Tend to stick to the consoles... might actually start to change the trend, though, since I can't really see myself buying one of the latest-gen ones that just came out.

Though... hmm.... might need a dedicated desktop PC instead of a lappy...

Being a PC gamer, some part of me wants to bombard you with reasons to get a gaming PC, but I don't want to act like some pretentious elitist so I'll shut up about that.

I don't think Jade Empire is a particularly demanding game though, 2005 graphics after all. A modern laptop should be able to run it.

DepravedFurball

Should be cheap, too, so that's a plus.

But don't worry about elitism for gaming. I've never had a preference between consoles or PCs. I just grew up with consoles, which was the reason to stay with them. Associated fond memories.

Yet the way that the consoles are going, all content is, at some point, going to be online-accessible-only, thus, I've no reason to buy the next-gen systems.

So, yah, I'll be gravitating over to PC gaming at some point. ;p

Rawz

I've been playing Hotline Miami a lot lately. Only have 4 masks and less than half the puzzles pieces left. Although there are plenty of chapters without A+ grade.

Klonoa

Yet the way that the consoles are going, all content is, at some point, going to be online-accessible-only, thus, I've no reason to buy the next-gen systems.

This. I actually fail to see what's so "next-gen" about... well, next gen. The progress from 8-bit to 16-bit to 32 and 64 to 128 (aka "Real 3D") to HD was very noticeable, but not this time. Everything REALLY looks like stuff the PS3 and 360 could already do, making the PS4 and Xbone useless/rushed investments.

But I know I'll eventualy get a Wii U. Because god damn, I love The Legend of Zelda and Donkey Kong. The fact Mega Man is going to be in the upcoming Smash Bros. also sounds amazing.

So, erhm, I bought a Classic Controller that plugs to the GameCube slot of the Wii. It's AMAZING. It's this one.

So I've been using it to play the Donkey Kong Country trilogy and Zelda: Wind Waker. I should start Super Metroid with it, too.

I already have a Classic Controller Pro, but playing SNES with it feels... somehow, wrong.

Maybe it's nostalgia...

Last edited:

DepravedFurball

I actually fail to see what's so "next-gen" about... well, next gen.

Hardware upgrades for the masses, really. More RAM/ROM, faster processors, better capabilities...

What was really odd, I find, is the distinct LACK of SSD-memory in the newest systems. If they were smart, they'd slot in a small 120-gig SSD-drive in order to load games near-instantaneously, and have it so that if a game stored in there isn't played in a month, then it automatically transfers to the regular HDD.

Beyond that, though, there's the 'social' aspect of the new systems, and the easy ability to find friends/brag to them about your achievements...

Which is another turnoff for myself. Since I grew up on regular NES, I've no need to have my wild claims about beating Super Mario Brothers in five minutes disproved. I don't care to scroll through my 'friends' runs, either... simply because I could use that time to play the game for myself.

Nuts to all that, though. I'm heavily leaning towards a system that I can do everything on, as well as take to work with me. And the only solution is a high-performance laptop that will run the cost of four consoles.

Of course, this little quad-core Acer that I have still has another five years of use out of it, for regular, mundane things... which makes me wonder if I shouldn't just go for a desktop for gaming...

If I can get back into the gaming groove, of course. Right now I'm disinclined to play anything... and I'm quite jaded about the upcoming prospects of wholly-consuming RPGS that promise the moon yet serve up gravel.

Ah well.