God and Hell

Anonymous

Cutegal said:
I'm not religious but its upsetting to see some peoples faiths torn apart in some of the more angry posts in here.

what have these people ever done to you to get such contempt?

I have contempt for no person, but I approve of all. I disapprove of certain blasphemous ideas of God, including the idea that he would punish certain of his created children for all of eternity because we have sinned against his holiness. This is something that even the most evil human would shrink back from doing, yet we ascribe this to a god who we call good. This is blasphemy.

I agree with George MacDonald who said: "From all copies of Jonathan Edwards's portrait of God [the holy God of Calvinist Christianity whose holiness requires retributive satisfaction], however faded by time, however softened by the use of less glaring pigments, I turn with loathing. Not such a God is he concerning whom was the message John heard from Jesus, that he is light, and in him is no darkness at all."

But I certainly don't hold contempt for Calvinists -- I was one for 25 years!

blank

Anonymous said:
do u also hate Tlaloc the aztec rain god?
i mean, he has done nothing to you but give you rains.

Interesting. I was thinking of a singular god.
One god to rule them all .... and in darkness bind them .... uh .... oh yeah .... sorry Lord of the Ring flashback.

Remus

Staff member
Guru Guy, I think she was referring to what the guest said ''no offence too religious people but theres no evidence of god of any sort stop wasting your time''

I agree with what she said

Anonymous

GettingThere said:
.....If you reflect upon the laws of God you will realise that they are the rules for love, peace and harmony. If we abide by these rules in accordance with God's will then we become heavenly in nature as a preparation for living in heaven. But if we choose - of our own free will - to live in ways contrary to these rules then we become hellish in nature and, through our own efforts, become increasingly prepared for hell. Hell is a place devoid of love, friendship, mercy and compassion, and instead full of complete selfishness manifested as hate, envy, fighting, etc.

The torment of hell being that of living in such a world and effectively, one self-imposed and chosen by the individual. Conversely heaven being the complete opposite is a place of love, peace and help for one another and the joy that comes with living in this way

"Sowing and reaping"
"Karma"
"What goes round comes round"

Anonymous

........ living in my own private hell.......... if there is a god why hast he forsaken me??? bs, were on our own kids, accept it.

GettingThere

Footprints ...

One night a man had a dream.
He dreamed he was walking
Along the beach with the Lord.

Across the sky flashed scenes from his life.
For each scene,
He noticed two sets of footprints in the sand,
One belonging to him, and the other to the Lord.

When the last scene of his life flashed before him,
He looked back at the footprints in the sand.
He noticed that many times along the path of his life
There was only one set of footprints.
He also noticed that it happened
At the very lowest and saddest times in his life.

This really bothered him
And he questioned the Lord about it.
"Lord, You said that once I decided to follow You,
You'd walk with me all the way.

But I have noticed that
During the most troublesome times in my life,
There is only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why when I needed
You most you would leave me."

The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child,
I love you and I would never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffering,
When you see only one set of footprints,
It was then that I carried you."

Henry

Wow no one called me crazy or horrible for not believing in Hell!! You guys are awesome :D Anyway whatever your faith, creed, or belief, we need to work together and make this world a better place, whether theres an afterlife or not. One think I REALLY hate about organized religion is this whole "us verses them" vibe. You know what I'm talking about? Like for example christianity with its "If you dont except Jesus, you go to hell!!!!!!!11111oneoneone, we Are the only way" or Islam "You must follow Allah or else you suffer!!!"WE are the only way" or stuff like that. I'm sick of it. We need to be one as a people and not agrue over which way is the RIGHT way. You know what I believe? That each religion is a different way to get to God. There all right! There is not one way to God. Sorry if you disbelieve me but the kind of God that I believe in is not so limitied to one religion, nor do I think he is so stupid to reveal himself to only ONE group of people. God loves everyone, and he will except you any way you choose, be it Christianity, Islam, Judaism, whatever. Thats the kind of God I believe in.

GettingThere

Henry said:
You know what I believe? That each religion is a different way to get to God. There all right! There is not one way to God. Sorry if you disbelieve me but the kind of God that I believe in is not so limitied to one religion, nor do I think he is so stupid to reveal himself to only ONE group of people. God loves everyone, and he will except you any way you choose, be it Christianity, Islam, Judaism, whatever. Thats the kind of God I believe in.

Amen. "Would not a rose by any other name still smell as sweet?". :D

Shadow

Interesting topic. I love this stuff, but I don't have time to go and on so I'll make it quick.

I don't believe in a personal God at all. There may be some sort of creator (or creators) but I don't believe he/they/it gives a damn about us.

As far as I'm concerned we're all alone on this earth. When we die we simply cease to exist. There are no eternal consequences for what we do or don't do on this earth. A mass murderer and a committed Christian (or a Buddist monk or whatever) both end up in the same place - six feet under.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. Since we can never KNOW which religion or belief is the correct one (if indeed any of them are true) it's ultimately pointless trying to figure it out. We may as well just live our lives the way we want to. We're just as likely to be right doing that than basing our lives on some religion.

"Life sucks, and them you die"

Anonymous

Henry said:
One think I REALLY hate about organized religion is this whole "us verses them" vibe. You know what I'm talking about? Like for example christianity with its "If you dont except Jesus, you go to hell!!!!!!!.

AMEN, BROTHER HENRY!

We're ALL God's children, whether you call yourself a Buddhist, a Christian, an atheist, or a Satanist. God loves us all, and God's love will triumph. For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in Jesus, and "through Him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross." (Col. 1:15-20, for you Bible readers out there).

I could probably call myself a Christian if I wanted to -- I believe that Jesus was God and that there was a resurrection, yadah, yadah. But I do not wish to label myself anything more than a child of Daddy -- just like my neighbor, and the guy down the street. I am the same as you and we will go to the same place, regardless of our religion.

I REALLY hate the exclusivist way Christians talk and think. It is so prideful and ill-conceived. I also hate their God. From all copies of Calvin's/Edwards's/Augustine's portrait of God -- a wrathful judge who has been offended by his creatures and whose offended holiness demands satisfaction through retributive punishment -- I turn with loathing.

I love the one true God seen in Jesus Christ. The message John heard from Jesus was that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

I tell my family: I am not a Christian, and I fully expect to go to hell. Indeed, I hope I go to hell, if God needs a hell to help the just mercy of God to redeem his children.

They look at me with contempt/amazement/disbelief/wonder. And I smile.