How are you feeling?

Opaline. What were you studying?

Well... at the moment, nothing. I have some college under my belt but nothing completed. It's a long story.

I would LIKE to complete a simple Associate's degree in respiratory therapy, but I don't have any money. I have part of a scholarship from my high school left, and part of it I will have to pay on my own. I don't know how I'm going to do it other than working full-time and going to school part-time. Better than nothing I suppose.

Rejections suck, no matter how it happens. I'm sorry, Opaline.

As far as being "doomed" is concerned, I would hardly think so. You're 21 if I remember correctly, right? There's still nothing stopping you from joining the Navy in a few years. You might be even more ready then than you are now. Even if that's not what you want to do later, you're still young. Society wants us to have everything figured out by the time we're 18, and we all know that's not the case. Stick with it, Opaline. :)

I'm 22. And yeah, I thought I knew what I wanted to do but as you can see none of it has worked out for me :( Depression, procrastination, indecisiveness... Ever since I graduated high school I've bounced from one college to another, changing my plans. I struggled socially and academically and didn't know what I wanted to do for a career, and now I'm running out of time and desperate. I know what I WANT to do, but I just have this deep fear I'll end up at McDonald's the rest of my life :( Hopefully I'll figure something out.

Thanks for the encouraging words, guys.

MikeyC

I don't have any money.
That's usually the way, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I'm 22. And yeah, I thought I knew what I wanted to do but as you can see none of it has worked out for me :( Depression, procrastination, indecisiveness... Ever since I graduated high school I've bounced from one college to another, changing my plans. I struggled socially and academically and didn't know what I wanted to do for a career, and now I'm running out of time and desperate. I know what I WANT to do, but I just have this deep fear I'll end up at McDonald's the rest of my life :( Hopefully I'll figure something out.

Thanks for the encouraging words, guys.
I have a friend who's jumping from job to job because she simply has no idea what she wants to settle on, and she's not much older than you. There's nothing wrong with changing your plans; you're still at the time of your life where you're figuring yourself out. Hell, I'm 26 and don't have a clue what I'm doing.

I know what you mean, because it feels like you're running out of time. Society's norms tell us that we should be either in a good job or in higher education by the time we're 22. If not, then you're useless! Well, it doesn't work that way.

I hope you feel better. It's a crappy situation nonetheless.

1BlackSheep

I would LIKE to complete a simple Associate's degree in respiratory therapy, but I don't have any money.
Can you get any financial assistance through your state's Employment Development Department? Not sure how it works it your state, but here in CA there are community college programs you can get into to re-train for a different career if you've lost your job.

EscapeArtist

Nervous.. I was invited to the job agency on the 4th of January. I have no idea what to tell them or what will come of it. Last time I went with their suggestions/help I was miserable for over a year with actual benefit. I'm afraid that it'll happen again.

You can only avoid life for so long, I guess. Better just run into this head first and see what comes of it.

good for you man. that's a very healthy way to be thinking about such a situation

SoScared

I've joined a 90 day transformation contest,and so far the results have been completely the opposite. Instead of staying away from the computer and getting myself to do the things that I've mentioned, I've become addicted in reading other people's posts on how they've progressed.
BTW Happy new year!
Yep, I'm three hours late for my new programme due to the same reason. Daily morning Vipassana Guided Meditation.

SoScared

Gosh, feeling so alone today. I don’t normally but today I do. Feel if I try to join a conversation I’m just an unwelcome gate crasher.

Bitter, angry and hating this f##ked up world.

^Anything in particular made you feel this way hidwell, or is it the world in general? I hope you can find something enjoyable enough to do to take your mind off things :)

I am feeling bleh. I have eaten too much sugar. The sugar high is wonderful, but the tiredness afterwards always sucks.:sad:

gazelle

Yep, I'm three hours late for my new programme due to the same reason. Daily morning Vipassana Guided Meditation.

Cool!I guess it's still not late. I managed to get away from the computer after that post and make a healthy lunch at least! In the contest I've joined, early morning meditation posts in specific are getting lots of likes. Here's hoping tommorrow will be better. good luck with your meditation!

jaim38

I had a very close encounter today. This morning, I wasn't feeling particularly cold so I only had on a t-shirt and a pair of long pants. My mom almost always yells at me to wear a sweater or put on a pair of socks if she sees me without them. And she really annoys me when she does this. This morning, I wanted to throw something away in the kitchen but when I got there, I saw my mom. So I decided to sneak up behind her so that she won't see me (without a sweater or socks on). I didn't want her to yell at me. So I snuck up behind my mom and threw some garbage into the trashcan. And the next thing I know, she bumped into me, with a freakin knife!!! We were both shocked because I didn't know she was holding a big knife and she didn't know I was behind her. It was a very close encounter, I could have been injured at that time. I'm just so grateful that I wasn't.

Well, I learned one lesson today: I don't give a sh** what my mom says anymore. I would rather risk her yelling at me than risk a knife injury. And my mom's mentally deranged, she can be irrrational many times, so there's really no reason for me to trust her judgments or do what she says.

Phoenixx

This holiday season seems to have hit a lot of us really hard with depression, negative thoughts, and bad feelings in general. It can be very tough to find your way out of the darkness! I don't want to make any huge resolutions that likely won't be kept either. My main goal is to just make some sort of progress - even if it's small changes. Any progress is better than none!

I read this quote today which kind of inspired me: "Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~Carl Bard.

Hoping the new year brings inspiration for a fresh start to those who want to change their current path in life! :)
^ Thank you, blacksheep. I really like that quote too, I might have to put that in my sig.

I guess you can say I already tried making some progress for the new year. Talked to my mom last night, not about SA, but my other issue with my suspicions of PMDD and feeling really depressed around that time when aunt flo comes knocking, and that I thought I really should be put on something to help. She didn't say much, so I'm not sure if she's dismissing the whole thing altogether or whether she's mulling it over. Talking isn't my strong suit, especially discussing issues, so actually mentioning the above was hard enough. I don't even know how I'm going to bring up the fact that I want therapy or at least look into it.

I went to bed pretty early last night, shortly after watching the ball drop on TV. I didn't feel much better waking up this morning, but decided to force myself to do something I should've done a while ago: schedule my road test. Actually I tried to this morning and the only time the DMV has available currently is the same day as the first day of classes for the spring semester, so I can't do it. By the time I actually get any tests in, I probably won't even pass them before June. Then if I don't get my license by the beginning of June, I have to put out another $50 and sit through another 5 hour pre-license course because NYS has to be so ridiculous about everything.

I really hate living here so much. :sad:

Phoenixx

Okay well it turns out I did find another date after all for my road test. I just scheduled it and it's 2 weeks from now. I feel like I should be freaking out or something, but I'm kind of in a "I don't really give a crap" mood.

Guess I should give it time though. I'll most likely be a wreck by the time the date starts approaching.

coyote

Okay well it turns out I did find another date after all for my road test. I just scheduled it and it's 2 weeks from now. I feel like I should be freaking out or something, but I'm kind of in a "I don't really give a crap" mood.

Guess I should give it time though. I'll most likely be a wreck by the time the date starts approaching.

just try not to use the words "wreck" and "road test" in the same sentence :perfect:

twiggle

Good luck Phoenixx :)

Today I'm feeling annoyed that my mp3 player has broken. It's gone with me literally everywhere for the past 6 years and is going to be a hassle to replace/put 7000 songs onto a new player. Pluh.

But - happy new year anyway SPW :applause: