How are you feeling?

Phoenixx

just try not to use the words "wreck" and "road test" in the same sentence :perfect:
^ Hehe, thanks for the reminder. :thumbup:

Good luck Phoenixx :)

Today I'm feeling annoyed that my mp3 player has broken. It's gone with me literally everywhere for the past 6 years and is going to be a hassle to replace/put 7000 songs onto a new player. Pluh.

But - happy new year anyway SPW :applause:
^ Thanks twiggle. Sorry to hear about your mp3 player. It's no fun having to re-upload songs, but hey, having a nice new mp3 player always makes up for that.

Austie

Today I feel really tired from being up too late last night but feeling quite happy to have found this website, yay!!

jaim38

I feel a bit angry. Today, I accidentally looked at my brother and so he got angry and shoved his fingers into my waist. Then he went back into his little "room" (which is even smaller than my parents' closet, believe me). Before you think that he's being locked in there, no, he went to live inside this little "room" by his own will. No one forced him to sleep, eat, or do his work in this little "room".

I am still angry, but at least he didn't punch me, hit me or scratch me in the waist like he used to do. I know, my family's messed up real bad. Sometimes, it feels like I'm living in an insane asylum. Well, as long as I avoid him, I think I'll be fine. I'm tired of people telling me to forge deeper bonds with my brother, because everytime I get close to him, he hurts me yet again. We've been at this game for over 20 years, and nothing good came out of it.

anomicdeer

I gave my self a horrible reputation. Now I just need to shut up and avoid everyone one. Hoping that they think I'm over it. Although I'm worst than ever.

planemo

I feel a bit angry. Today, I accidentally looked at my brother and so he got angry and shoved his fingers into my waist. Then he went back into his little "room" (which is even smaller than my parents' closet, believe me). Before you think that he's being locked in there, no, he went to live inside this little "room" by his own will. No one forced him to sleep, eat, or do his work in this little "room".

I am still angry, but at least he didn't punch me, hit me or scratch me in the waist like he used to do. I know, my family's messed up real bad. Sometimes, it feels like I'm living in an insane asylum. Well, as long as I avoid him, I think I'll be fine. I'm tired of people telling me to forge deeper bonds with my brother, because everytime I get close to him, he hurts me yet again. We've been at this game for over 20 years, and nothing good came out of it.

your brother doesn't want you to look at him?

but i can understand your feelings, since my family life is really messed up too.

your relationship sounds a lot like that of me and my sister. she can't hurt me physically since i'm a bloke, but her words and demeanour have hurt me in the past before. i tend to avoid her and my bro too. i want to get close to them since i think to myself "you don't have anyone else" but it's just not worth it, i think.

it's a real shame that he physically harms you. is it possible to be outside the home for an extended period of time?

cowboyup

My 4 month old niece started a 'fun new noise' - she sqwaks. seriously, she sounds like a sqawking bird that's being run over by a mac truck. I worry about my windows cracking. Maybe she'll be an opera singer

also, she looks like Yoda.

a sqwaking Yoda.

jaim38

your brother doesn't want you to look at him?

but i can understand your feelings, since my family life is really messed up too.

your relationship sounds a lot like that of me and my sister. she can't hurt me physically since i'm a bloke, but her words and demeanour have hurt me in the past before. i tend to avoid her and my bro too. i want to get close to them since i think to myself "you don't have anyone else" but it's just not worth it, i think.

it's a real shame that he physically harms you. is it possible to be outside the home for an extended period of time?

For some reason, my brother just doesn't like it when my dad or I look at him. However, when my mom looks at him, it's fine and that's the weird thing.

I'm agoraphobic and don't go out unless I have to. My brother basically locks himself inside the room/closet and comes out only when he needs to, like for bathroom breaks or showers. So, his schedule is pretty much predictable, and most of the time, I can walk around the house with freedom. But when he does come out, I will have to turn my back towards him, hide, or run to another room so that I won't have to look at him.

Today, I just had the misfortune to bump into him.

planemo

For some reason, my brother just doesn't like it when my dad or I look at him. However, when my mom looks at him, it's fine and that's the weird thing.

I'm agoraphobic and don't go out unless I have to. My brother basically locks himself inside the room/closet and comes out only when he needs to, like for bathroom breaks or showers. So, his schedule is pretty much predictable, and most of the time, I can walk around the house with freedom. But when he does come out, I will have to turn my back towards him, hide, or run to another room so that I won't have to look at him.

i'm pretty much agoraphobic too, and i rarely leave the house as well. for me all the dysfunctional behaviour of those around me, even if i lock myself away in my room or avoid folks, still gets to me and effect me some way unfortunately. :sad:

That certainly doesn't sound healthy. Does he suffer from some kind of disorder for him to react to harshly to such a thing?

I don't particularly like being looked at either, but to actually get physical because of an accidental glans edges on abusive behaviour. Though, I can only imagine that the situation is more complicated then what it may seem like on the surface to us readers. As is often the case in family matters.

I'm sorry you have to live like that, it must create some tension and/or frustration at times.

Valhalla

Society wants us to have everything figured out by the time we're 18, and we all know that's not the case.

I have a friend who's jumping from job to job because she simply has no idea what she wants to settle on, and she's not much older than you. There's nothing wrong with changing your plans; you're still at the time of your life where you're figuring yourself out. Hell, I'm 26 and don't have a clue what I'm doing.

I know what you mean, because it feels like you're running out of time. Society's norms tell us that we should be either in a good job or in higher education by the time we're 22. If not, then you're useless! Well, it doesn't work that way.

Amazing. What you're saying is all true, and I wish it was more common to say that.

MikeyC

I'm feeling good! Going to take a 3 hour drive to my friend's house later today and have a few beers and listen to some good music overnight. That's the prequel to the big Melbourne trip on Friday, where I will stay there for about a week and visit my friend, plus that girl that seems to be interested in me. It's all happening in 2013 at the moment!

Can't say I'm not anxious about all of this, but I'm absolutely going to push through. I want to do this!

MikeyC

Amazing. What you're saying is all true, and I wish it was more common to say that.
Sometimes I get it right. ;) It's true, though. I would say less than 10% of 18-year-olds truly know what they want to do in life. I'm 26 and am only now considering a future career. It takes time to figure it out, but we constantly feel like we're running out of time, or we're lagging behind, or people are going to scorn us for not owning our own house and have kids by the time we're 30. It quite simply doesn't work that way.

Another friend of mine just started university this year - actually her class doesn't start until February - and she's 31! It's never too late to start something new.

jaim38

That certainly doesn't sound healthy. Does he suffer from some kind of disorder for him to react to harshly to such a thing?

I think he suffers from agoraphobia, social anxiety, huge anger problems, autism, and paranoia, though he has not been diagnosed by a professional. I think his mental illnesses are 10x worse than mine. My parents have considered taking him to a psychologist but we couldn't get a positive response from him.

MikeyC

I think he suffers from agoraphobia, social anxiety, huge anger problems, autism, and paranoia, though he has not been diagnosed by a professional. I think his mental illnesses are 10x worse than mine. My parents have considered taking him to a psychologist but we couldn't get a positive response from him.
From what you've revealed to us, he seems to need some professional help. Attacking you for merely looking at him, then retreating to his little closet, is not regular behaviour. My fear now is that he'll hurt someone bad, and that could be you.

ImNotMyIllness

As long as he doesn't get physical. From what you wrote here he sounds very angry at the world. This anger might be from him feeling inept and helpless. He definitely needs to see a psychiatrist.

He does sound quite troubled. It's not surprising he wouldn't like the idea of a psychiatrist. Is it perhaps possible to talk about the situation to a professional? If not your brother, perhaps you or one of your parents? Even if merely to get someone's educated opinion about what's going on, and some insight on how to best approach it.