How many single people are there?

Are you single?

• Total voters

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Did Gilmartin bother to sample "undiagnosable as love shy" women?
Well, at least according to wiki he was professionally critiqued in Contemporary Psychology for his lack of studies on shy women--he hasn't sampled any women at all.

He's also apparently only done that one study, by himself, and the detailed data on his subjects has only been made available to himself.

This is also from wiki: "Gilmartin makes references to pseudoscience such as astrology, reincarnation, past life regression, and Kirlian aura (page 15) to support his conclusions"

link

This is in no way good science.

JamesSmith

What I don't understand is how has nobody ever done a study on love-shy women? Gillmartin's study was too one-sided. I mean, he's right that gender roles matter, but I think he stereotyped women too much in general. I believe he didn't do a survey on love-shy women because he knew there are many women that have the same problem as love-shy men. I believe there aren't as women who are love-shy as men who are love-shy, but I do think there are more than Gillmartin thought. Like what about very shy women that never go out, never do online dating? I've seen a decent amount of women post on here that they've been single their entire lives, it's very one-sided how Gillmartin failed to mention these type of women in his survey.

mattbarneswillkillu

my perspective on women may be messed up from somewhat of a broken childhood, but i'm missing the value in women or "love".
I love my mother and sisters to death, so i'm not against women. I just don't see the point. My father is a very nice man and he & my mom got divorced, but isn't everyone getting divorced these days? Where did the love go? or was there love in the first place?
I'm religious (christian) which i think is the primary reason i havent found "that somebody", but then I start to group all women in the same category. That category is encompasses women aged (16-24) - thirsty(sexually), money-hungry, status seeking females.
I tried to pick women who dressed more conservatively, yet still attractive in attempts to find the opposite but i havent been proven wrong yet. Every girl that i've associated with want sex. Everytime i've said no, or i'm waiting the relationship dies. So i think i've formed an unfair view of all women...
I think that women are instruments used to reproduce, cook&clean(from time time-to-time) and to fufill all the desires that men build through the years. My father found his sense of freedom, and enjoyment through his children (my sisters & I) so i unfortunately havent been exposed to a woman's worth.
I understand that this thinking isn't polite or may not be correct, it's just my experiences. Can sum1 help?

A friend

my perspective on women may be messed up from somewhat of a broken childhood, but i'm missing the value in women or "love".
I love my mother and sisters to death, so i'm not against women. I just don't see the point. My father is a very nice man and he & my mom got divorced, but isn't everyone getting divorced these days? Where did the love go? or was there love in the first place?
I'm religious (christian) which i think is the primary reason i havent found "that somebody", but then I start to group all women in the same category. That category is encompasses women aged (16-24) - thirsty(sexually), money-hungry, status seeking females.
I tried to pick women who dressed more conservatively, yet still attractive in attempts to find the opposite but i havent been proven wrong yet. Every girl that i've associated with want sex. Everytime i've said no, or i'm waiting the relationship dies. So i think i've formed an unfair view of all women...
I think that women are instruments used to reproduce, cook&clean(from time time-to-time) and to fufill all the desires that men build through the years. My father found his sense of freedom, and enjoyment through his children (my sisters & I) so i unfortunately havent been exposed to a woman's worth.
I understand that this thinking isn't polite or may not be correct, it's just my experiences. Can sum1 help?

Perhaps there was no love in any relationship like that, love/romance might just be only for the entire purpose of reproduction, nothing more. It probably was never intended to last in the first place.

I don't know for sure (because I've been single forever), but that theory makes sense.

As for your views on women...

I believe that you don't hate women, but I don't agree or disagree with your views. I don't argue with your opinions because if you experience a divorce, and if you're single your entire life, then your views on the opposite gender will be negative (most likely).

Love is not a fun concept if your single, it's horrible, cruel, and incredible nasty if you've been single for so long (that's how I've experienced it).

Is love a positive or negative emotion? Is it a source of happiness or misery? I do not know.

EdgeCrusher

i am single and have been single my entire life. im not much of a "go out" kind of person. not a bar/club type of person. i rarely drink, i dont smoke and never have. i like to play video games and watch movies/tv shows. i am really nerdy about the things i like as far as that goes. although you cant really tell by looking at me. as a result it is hard for me to meet someone. being very shy when it comes to this doesnt help at all either. as an adult i have made one real attempt at dating and it basically never happened. im pretty sure she was doing the "i only date douchebags" thing and doesnt even know it. i really do feel like nice guys finish last. the only girls that have ever showed interest in me are younger party type girls. i know pretty much every other guy in the world ever.... would like that, but not me. i want some nerdy girl that would rather stay home. a girl whos idea of going out is to the movies or maybe a concert. not to a bar/club or party. a girl actually likes video games and would watch something like star wars.

Last edited:

mattbarneswillkillu

Perhaps there was no love in any relationship like that, love/romance might just be only for the entire purpose of reproduction, nothing more. It probably was never intended to last in the first place.

I don't know for sure (because I've been single forever), but that theory makes sense.

As for your views on women...

I believe that you don't hate women, but I don't agree or disagree with your views. I don't argue with your opinions because if you experience a divorce, and if you're single your entire life, then your views on the opposite gender will be negative (most likely).

Love is not a fun concept if your single, it's horrible, cruel, and incredible nasty if you've been single for so long (that's how I've experienced it).

Is love a positive or negative emotion? Is it a source of happiness or misery? I do not know.

yep, love to me is a fable. I've never seen it "work out"...
i think this is thread material. We'll get more insight,

EdgeCrusher

^ those types do exist

im sure they do, i just cant seem to find any. how does 2 people that spend most of their time at home meet each other? i havent had any luck with dating sites. even one specifically made for geek/nerd types. there is never any hits in my area.

WeirdyMcGee

im sure they do, i just cant seem to find any. how does 2 people that spend most of their time at home meet each other? i havent had any luck with dating sites. even one specifically made for geek/nerd types. there is never any hits in my area.

Go to a gaming convention. That is my best advice XD
All the girl gamers and geeks will leave their caves and make the journey to meet other people like themselves.
Most conventions have forums meant specifically for 'hooking up' > the nerdy way.
haha

I am one of those girls.
Unfortunately, I do not wish to do any dating for personal reasons.

GoBlue72

I feel your pain, EdgeCrusher. Although I have never been the stay at home all the time type person, I cannot seem to meet anyone when it comes to dating. Yet, I've read so many accounts online about how people met their spouse or boy/girlfriend that seem so far-fetched(wrong phone numbers, leading to a date, holding a door for someone, returning someone's lost pet, being someone's boss at one time, etc..)

At first, I am encouraged to know that it has happened. But then, I think of my own experience and become frustrated as hell. I know that sitting back has never worked for me, and the odds of it working have to be pretty low unless you know a lot of people willing to help you out. I guess it's akin to the lottery: not much better odds that you'll get rich than you have of not playing, but you've got a shot at least.

I just wanted to tell you from my experience, sometimes you have to act to get things done.
I've had sex with 5 women, and 4 of them were girls I met online.
3 of them were in the early years of the internet, cirra 1997-2001. But my latest was in 2007, with a girl I met in the Tool chat room. (Yes toolband.net) We talked for 1 day, got her myspace, got her number, she came over, the first night it was all cocaine and sex.

With the others, a lot was the same. In fact, the first time I had sex was me meeting a girl from online. She had her mom drive over, we went and stayed at a hotel, and she said "ok let's do this."
I was not expecting that AT ALL.

Sometimes you have to be another person to get what you want.
Keep in mind, it will never last, but just to be able to experience things you want to in life, be a different person, and all the while, enjoy what's going on.

These are not coincidences. They are happenings of life based on what you're doing. You have it man. All you have to do is talk.
I have been unsuccessful in the last 3 years or so and sort of lost my game, but never lose that hope.
You will get lucky one of these days, and it will happen more than once.
When the opportunity comes, grab it and take it for all it's worth, because it won't last long.

Just realize, other people want exactly what you want.
Be confident, no matter what you're talking about and you'll do well.

EdgeCrusher

I just wanted to tell you from my experience, sometimes you have to act to get things done.
I've had sex with 5 women, and 4 of them were girls I met online.
3 of them were in the early years of the internet, cirra 1997-2001. But my latest was in 2007, with a girl I met in the Tool chat room. (Yes toolband.net) We talked for 1 day, got her myspace, got her number, she came over, the first night it was all cocaine and sex.

With the others, a lot was the same. In fact, the first time I had sex was me meeting a girl from online. She had her mom drive over, we went and stayed at a hotel, and she said "ok let's do this."
I was not expecting that AT ALL.

Sometimes you have to be another person to get what you want.
Keep in mind, it will never last, but just to be able to experience things you want to in life, be a different person, and all the while, enjoy what's going on.

These are not coincidences. They are happenings of life based on what you're doing. You have it man. All you have to do is talk.
I have been unsuccessful in the last 3 years or so and sort of lost my game, but never lose that hope.
You will get lucky one of these days, and it will happen more than once.
When the opportunity comes, grab it and take it for all it's worth, because it won't last long.

Just realize, other people want exactly what you want.
Be confident, no matter what you're talking about and you'll do well.

im not looking for a random sexual encounter though. i am looking for someone i can actually connect with. that has been a rare thing in my life.

Pookah

As a nerdy girl into video games I actually find that I end up in the friend zone rather than otherwise. Not girly enough maybe?

JamesSmith

As a nerdy girl into video games I actually find that I end up in the friend zone rather than otherwise. Not girly enough maybe?

Coming from a guy, it doesn't bother us if you like video games. In fact, that should help your chances with a guy because you have something in common with many men. I would love to be with a girl that played video games. Men are less picky than women are imo anyways.

A friend

Incorrect. The less girly you are, the better it would be for your partner. Girls who are into video games are harder to find than a rock that flies in the air by itself and nothing else.

This is so not true. Women love nice men. It's the our social anxiety problems that destroy our dating lives, or should I say lack of dating lives.

Strange. Every girl I've met had a boyfriend that was cruel or pretty much evil (they treated their girlfriends the worst), and they loved it. My step-mom was cheated on by her ex-husband (who beat her up when she caught him in the act), and she still loved him. In fact, he was the one who broke up with her and wanted to get a divorce from her. Despite all of that, she still wanted to be with him.

Sure, some women like nice men, but as for the vast majority, they despise/loathe/abominate/hate nice men. I've witnessed this so many times in my life that I want to vomit if I even get begin to think about giving more examples.

If most women like nice men, then I'm probably not living in the real world right now.

Last edited: