I decided to go through with ETS

Iliveinac

Hello everyone, I used to browse these forums on a regular basis but never posted. I made an account today solely for the purpose of informing everyone here that I underwent the ETS procedure five days ago to treat my localized hyperhidrosis of the hands. My hands are warm and dry and I have already experienced some minor compensatory sweating in the waist area. You would think I would be ecstatic about these results, but delving deeper into the long scheme of things really set me in an extremely depressive state. My surgeon only discussed the compensatory sweating side effect with me, and to my knowledge I had believed that was the only side effect that the surgery really had. Now that I have perused a number of sites that dedicate themselves to proving why the surgery is harmful in the long run, as well as a forum of people that now deal with the immense side effects it has caused them...i'm beginning to lose it. Horner's syndrome, hairloss, lethargy, low blood pressure are just the tip of the iceberg.

To give you guys some insight behind myself- I am a 22 year old male that had suffered from hyperhidrosis for as long as I can remember. After trying ionto (which eventually became hit or miss) glyco, (the side effects outweighed the dryness), and over the counter treatments such as CertainDri, I became fed up with false hopes and promises which I am sure every one of you are well aware of. I consulted a local surgeon who specialized in ETS and I should have realized that when he was eager to schedule the surgery directly after the consultation that it was much too reckless of a decision.

In my present state I feel great...but maybe more lethargic and depressed which may or may not be due to the long scheme of things that is haunting the back of my mind. I feel very naive in going the surgical route without having done more research. I am not sure how to enjoy my present state without being anxious as to what the long term holds for me. For the moment, being positive about my current state is all I can really do. I'm not sure who to turn to, guys.

NickM

The mind and body connection is powerful! Don't underestimate how you can affect your body with positive or negative thinking. Just be happy your hands aren't sweating anymore and forget the rest. There is no going back at this point anyway. Btw your story is exactly like mine except I haven't had the surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iliveinac

Thank you for the uplifting reply Nick! I have also considered the fact that the prescribed painkillers I have been taking may also be contributing to this sort of "down" feeling.

As for the surgery, your hands do become dry and it is indescribably amazing to not worry about any sort of regime to achieve this state. However, like what many others on this forum would tell you, do extensive research as there is no going back if your surgeon uses the cutting method.

NickM

Oh yes haha I know! My life mission has become to find a true cure for HH. Once I go to med school I want to conduct clinical research on the physiology of hyperhidrosis. I don't know what that looks like yet, but the world needs a cure of this disease!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprawling

Hello everyone, I used to browse these forums on a regular basis but never posted. I made an account today solely for the purpose of informing everyone here that I underwent the ETS procedure five days ago to treat my localized hyperhidrosis of the hands. My hands are warm and dry and I have already experienced some minor compensatory sweating in the waist area. You would think I would be ecstatic about these results, but delving deeper into the long scheme of things really set me in an extremely depressive state. My surgeon only discussed the compensatory sweating side effect with me, and to my knowledge I had believed that was the only side effect that the surgery really had. Now that I have perused a number of sites that dedicate themselves to proving why the surgery is harmful in the long run, as well as a forum of people that now deal with the immense side effects it has caused them...i'm beginning to lose it. Horner's syndrome, hairloss, lethargy, low blood pressure are just the tip of the iceberg.

To give you guys some insight behind myself- I am a 22 year old male that had suffered from hyperhidrosis for as long as I can remember. After trying ionto (which eventually became hit or miss) glyco, (the side effects outweighed the dryness), and over the counter treatments such as CertainDri, I became fed up with false hopes and promises which I am sure every one of you are well aware of. I consulted a local surgeon who specialized in ETS and I should have realized that when he was eager to schedule the surgery directly after the consultation that it was much too reckless of a decision.

In my present state I feel great...but maybe more lethargic and depressed which may or may not be due to the long scheme of things that is haunting the back of my mind. I feel very naive in going the surgical route without having done more research. I am not sure how to enjoy my present state without being anxious as to what the long term holds for me. For the moment, being positive about my current state is all I can really do. I'm not sure who to turn to, guys.

I wish you the best of luck with your newly found hand dryness. I'm 2.5 times your age and have lived with palmer/planter age forever along with summer time full body sweating.

You have made your decision, had the surgery and yes you'll have side effects, but now it's time to move forward in your life and start enjoying. I with you the best of luck and thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings with the group.

Iliveinac

NickM, what you are doing is so admirable. I wish you the best of luck in your career trajectory because countless people out there need a genuine cure...still including myself as well.

Thank you, Sprawling. I needed that piece of advice to help me get out of my slump. I'll continue to keep you guys updated for the months and years to come- with both the positive and negative aspects of it all.

kandyjet

Hai Iliveinac,
i am the one who sweat most currently in the world. 3 times continually became the champion in 'World sweating competition" (mad jok). still i am in two minded weather to go for ATS or not. thanks for your Post. please keep us with updates.

Wetpalmed

I'm considering ETS surgery and I think the only question I need answered is will the long run of depression make a huge difference? For most of my life I have been so depressed and on the verge of suicide trying not to cry and night when my hands are so sweaty I don't want to touch myself.

Avoiding contact with anyone else and missing out on having lots of healthy relationships. I'm nervous to consider the bad side effects of the surgery but when I look at my life now I know I will never be happy the way I currently am.

Sprawling

Obviously you probably can use the help of a professional. Your life may be turned further upside down in the log run. The worst ETS side effects can happen several years after having it done.

I have had Horrible palmer planter sweating a good part of my life. I still managed to have girlfriends, got married, had a child etc. I'm not sure if you have tried ionto or not?

Suicidal tendencies go way beyond having HH. Consider seeking help before even considering a surgery that may help in the short run and have potentially devastating effects in the long run.

Iliveinac

I'm sorry to hear about your situation Kandyjet. I believe that Robinul would be the best route to take in your situation, as it dries up your entire body. However, be careful in over consumption because the side effects are a pain to deal with (dry mouth, blurred vision, drowsiness). The reason why I would not recommend the surgery in your case is because since your sweating is so generalized, the compensatory sweating (sweating in areas below the nipple line) would most likely become even worse than your original sweating sprees. Before taking the surgery route, I implore you to do as much research as possible- that is what I should have done.

Wetpalmed, I was much like you. Like Sprawling suggested, try using ionto or taking the medication route before you go through with ETS. If you are feeling suicidal, here's some uplifting words for you. As much as excessive sweating seems like a big deal to you, I promise that most people do not and will not alienate you because of it. I have openly told people about my problem before the surgery and they did not make a big scene. It's very much a subjective thing. I have had relationships, friendships, etc. and they have all been very understanding and even supportive.

Consider talking to a professional about your thoughts and try ionto out before you even consider researching ETS. I will not sugarcoat it- ETS has been wonderful to me these past few weeks. However, some side effects appear years after the surgery and that is what makes me nervous. I still suffer from rather low self esteem, and am still somewhat depressed. The surgery will by no means change your mindset overnight.
Do as much research as possible and try every single other alternative out there before you decide you go through with it.

Wetpalmed

I'm sorry to hear about your situation Kandyjet. I believe that Robinul would be the best route to take in your situation, as it dries up your entire body. However, be careful in over consumption because the side effects are a pain to deal with (dry mouth, blurred vision, drowsiness). The reason why I would not recommend the surgery in your case is because since your sweating is so generalized, the compensatory sweating (sweating in areas below the nipple line) would most likely become even worse than your original sweating sprees. Before taking the surgery route, I implore you to do as much research as possible- that is what I should have done.

Wetpalmed, I was much like you. Like Sprawling suggested, try using ionto or taking the medication route before you go through with ETS. If you are feeling suicidal, here's some uplifting words for you. As much as excessive sweating seems like a big deal to you, I promise that most people do not and will not alienate you because of it. I have openly told people about my problem before the surgery and they did not make a big scene. It's very much a subjective thing. I have had relationships, friendships, etc. and they have all been very understanding and even supportive.

Consider talking to a professional about your thoughts and try ionto out before you even consider researching ETS. I will not sugarcoat it- ETS has been wonderful to me these past few weeks. However, some side effects appear years after the surgery and that is what makes me nervous. I still suffer from rather low self esteem, and am still somewhat depressed. The surgery will by no means change your mindset overnight.
Do as much research as possible and try every single other alternative out there before you decide you go through with it.

I did ionto for a period but it was so inconvenient I stopped after awhile because it causes my hands to become unbearably itchy during the process which makes it hard to commit. I started doing it today after meeting with a doctor who does the surgery and he says that his only skepticism is the long term effects as well but much longer than you think. Not just one to two years but 20-30 years.

He also said compensatory sweating is about a 50% chance for his patients so far. I think that the hive mind anti-circle **** towards E.T.S surgery on forums mostly comes from those individuals that had far worse compensatory sweating and who were unaware of how it would really affect them. I also think it comes from people like you who are depressed for more reasons than just your sweating.

I am still weighing my options and seeing if its worth the potential compensatory sweating and long term possible effects that aren't really even documented and like I said in my life my sweating has ruined my life you have to remember everyone's different. I don't have social anxiety in the sense that I can't talk to people. My social anxiety comes from being withdrawn to form connecting relationships with most people for fear of having to touch them at any point.

I know there are people out there who wouldn't care if I sweat and usually people are understanding but I don't even want to touch myself most of the time let alone others even if they don't care. My depression wouldn't go away overnight but it would certainly fade away once I become more excited for social touching, shaking hands, greeting friends, making moves on girls, writing papers without soaking them, holding a pencil, not having to wash my hands and use a towel just to open a jar, slipping when gripping onto things, and a larger number of other things.

Also I've taken Robinul and still have it and done many other options all of which are inconvenient or terrible. Robinul makes me cough terribly from having a dry throat even in low doses and even if my mouth isn't completely dried out I certainly can tell that food and drinks taste differently in a bad way and it's harder for my stomach to take in foods and liquids.

I've had plenty of friendships, about 4 relationships and plenty of understanding people once I explain it but that doesn't mean I have been able to live my life to the fullest the way normal people do.

Also with regards to Kandyjet even though it is generalized the cutting of the T3 and/or T4 is supposed to stop the sweating of your hands without stopping sweating from above the nipple line which can reduce the effect of compensatory sweating and other things.

And like I said, there are a larger number of people that have had the surgery that are not heard from on forums like this who aren't more vocal because they're probably out living their lives instead of worrying it too much anymore. The surgeon even said he has had people wake up from the surgery and break down crying because of how happy they are that their hands are dry.

Last edited:

Sprawling

It appears that most of you who are considering or have had ETS surgery lately have been in your 20's. Has anyone had the surgery in there 30's, 40's?

My point is that it's possible that the coping mechanism for HH possibly kicks in later in life. The Doctors that perform ETS will push it despite the known (long term) risks which I'm sure is higher than 50%.

I broke down and cried when my hands first became dry due to ionto treatments. How many doctors have followed up on their patients after 5 years post surgery. This would be an excellent question to ask your doctor if you are considering ETS. Of course one would be ecstatic when waking after surgery with dry hands and be completely happy. What about that same person post op 5 years down the line.

Just food for thought.

Wetpalmed

It appears that most of you who are considering or have had ETS surgery lately have been in your 20's. Has anyone had the surgery in there 30's, 40's?

My point is that it's possible that the coping mechanism for HH possibly kicks in later in life. The Doctors that perform ETS will push it despite the known (long term) risks which I'm sure is higher than 50%.

I broke down and cried when my hands first became dry due to ionto treatments. How many doctors have followed up on their patients after 5 years post surgery. This would be an excellent question to ask your doctor if you are considering ETS. Of course one would be ecstatic when waking after surgery with dry hands and be completely happy. What about that same person post op 5 years down the line.

Just food for thought.

I asked him that and he said that it is hard to follow up with people who have the surgery because of the fact that they are in their 20s and end up moving on with their lives and going other places or off to college if they are a bit younger.

People around my age tend to become displaced pretty easily as I'm sure in a few years I'll have an all new address and number which happens quite often.

Like I said the 50% was for compensatory sweating and he said that in about 5% of the people that have compensatory sweating its worse that the hands which means that for a majority of people it seems like just a light layer of sweating. He also explained how a few people talk about having to change their shirts a few times a day.

Food for thought maybe a lot of people actually prefer the risk of chest/groin/leg sweating as opposed to hands whether its 5 years down the line or 20. I feel as though I'm wasting my youth being a constant slave to my hands. You need to open your mind and see other perspectives. For someone like me if I didn't have any real depressing and life crippling effects for 10-15 years I would be happy because at I'm the kind of person that will already have complications when I'm older so I'd rather enjoy my life while the world is my oyster.

But like I said I'm not going to get the surgery yet because I'm really going to weigh the risks and try to find people who had the surgery for a longer time ago which is hard because as I stated only the vocally hateful people who probably wake up looking forward to complain about something will come out on forums like this.

Also not to mention that even a few years can make a huge difference in a surgeons experience and even the medical field in general. I feel sorry for people that got the surgery in the 1990s or earlier especially since now they've basically been like "oops we'd rather cut this nerve than that nerve since theirs less complications."

There's always a risk to any surgery and it'd be silly to not think there would be, let people weigh the risks instead of just hating.

Last edited:

CharlesN

Wetpalmed, I'd recommend sticking to Ionto and trying to ameliorate the itchiness or any discomfort you feel during the treatments. Honestly - if the palmar HH is as impactful as you believe - then really is *any* discomfort not worth the cure? I think once you get it working - the maintenance treatments can be spaced out far enough that it isn't inconvenient. I have a full-time job, wife, 2 young daughters, go to the gym 6 times a week and run a part-time home business and fish a lot. But since I discovered Ionto I *make* time for the treatments. It works - so I don't have to think back too far to remember what it was like before I discovered it.

Sprawling's pulsed galvanic thing might be the ticket for you.

Good luck man,

Iliveinac

Wetpalmed, stick to ionto despite it being very cumbersome because it honestly does work. Use a professional machine instead of Drionic to get the best results possible. I'm relieved that you are not jumping the gun on this one, like i did.

Update: the sweating has returned in my right hand, while the left remains completely dry regardless of the situation. After I returned home from the gym last night, the right side of my head was drenched in sweat while the left was dry. Honestly, very strange stuff. I had a post op visit with my doctor today and the only words he could really give me were that the sweating is being transmitted via other pathways somehow and that I should wait at least 6 months down the line for the full effect. I'm taking glyco again to control the right hand sweating but he told me not to. To say i'm upset would be an understatement.

Iliveinac

Also, the right hand sweating is even happening at rest. I'm content sweating at the gym- i always have been. I just can't believe that it's only half successful right now. This is the cruelest tease anyone could ever go through.

Sprawling

You need to open your mind and see other perspectives. For someone like me if I didn't have any real depressing and life crippling effects for 10-15 years I would be happy because at I'm the kind of person that will already have complications when I'm older so I'd rather enjoy my life while the world is my oyster.

My mind is very open and besides I have lived through everything HH that you describe plus summertime full body sweating. I'm in my mid 50's now. I've lived through the anxiety, and all the mental pains that accompany HH. I'm saying that life is still possible.

If ionto works, then find the time. No need to spend 100's on a machine that will not have an impact on the results. My pulsed unit machine cost $140.

Point is that if you decide to have the surgery there is no turning back. The doctors experience doesn't mean squat in regards to HH.

Iliveinac

As promised, here is an update on how things have been lately:

It turns out that the results of my surgery were completely asymmetrical. What I mean by this is that the right side of my face can sweat (and does profusely) during temperatures past roughly 75 degrees or under strenuous physical activity such as cardio. As stated before, my right hand does get clammy but nowhere near as much as it once was. The left side of my face only sweats during strenuous cardio exercise but very, very little.

The surgery itself was performed in March, and it was still brisk outside. We have had a somewhat intense summer here in New Jersey so far, so the CS has been hard to bear with on days where temperatures are 80 degrees and above. I need to give everyone a fair warning here: the doctors will undermine how bad CS can really get. You don't know how bad it is until once you get it. From just driving with the windows down, I have had sweat marks on my shirt. To be fair, the sweat is only visible there because I am leaning on the seat. If I am moving around, it rarely seeps through the shirt. If I am truly feeling self conscious about it, robinul usually diminishes it or I simply wear black. Once summer is over, I'm positive the CS will become bearable.

Here is where I may lose some of you. ETS is basically a psychosurgery that diminishes the flight or fight response drastically. Since the surgery, I have felt generally apathetic to most of my environment. Recently, I landed my first ever assistant manager position and felt completely indifferent towards it. I no longer feel that "thump thump" or the little jolts of excitement I felt pre-surgery. I am much more confident due to my dry hands, but generally apathetic at the same time. I have found myself faking excitement around friends and co-workers. This all sounds vague, trust me, but you will feel "disconnected" in a sense. This is perhaps my biggest problem with the surgery. However, I am learning to cope with this by realizing the anxious mess I used to be pre-surgery. Coffee does help keep me alert, but also increases my CS some.

All in all, yes ETS did accomplish what it was assigned to fix (even though my results were asymmetrical). However, doctors are still pitching this surgery to patients that these nerves only target sweating, and nothing more. The reality is that the nerves targeted are crucial to how we respond to our surroundings and people.

To my fellow hyperhidrosis sufferers: no matter how distressed your sweating makes you, cling to the moments that make you feel genuine joy. ETS will rob you of that. Dry hands are wonderful and my professional life is much better, but I can't even feel genuine happiness over any of it. Don't have this surgery done. I feel as if I am on Xanax daily, but ten fold. I want to be another success story, but it was so naive for me to have this done.

P.S- I'm sorry for the long-winded post. If any of you have further questions, message me or you can even call me (609-287-0713) if you are feeling distressed about your hyperhidrosis. I don't want another person lied to about ETS.