I have no friends in University

Mickery

Socializing is an important part of life for almost everybody, including the introverted/phobic to some extent. University is a formative experience in many different ways and provides an experience that you will never replicate, so it's not to be taken lightly.

Fen

For the first time in my entire life, in university I made the first step to get to know a guy.
I talk only to him, but since we are both shy, our "friendship" is a bit awkward...
In the beginning I was completely alone, though, so I understand as you feel... it was really awful.

dragonoth

I'm in my 3rd year at uni and the only few REAL friends I made were not my coursemates, and I got to know them from my hall of residence. I sympathise with you because I also sometimes wonder why I haven't made a good friend on my course yet and I wonder if it's because of me and how I am with others. And when I think about it, I do think that largely it is because of me. Somebody helped me realise that I am quite a guarded person when I first get to know someone; I don't let people get too close to me. And that's probably because I fear they will see right through me as someone who is inconfident and timid and afraid of their own future. This is not how I want others to see me so I cover it up with a smile and a friendly and calm nature. But maybe this is my mistake - because I don't let anyone get to know the 'real me', they cannot get closer to me and therefore they will always be just acquaintances. For now.
I can't change the way I act overnight, but I can change how I see myself little by little. If all this is because I am afraid of people getting to know my 'flaws' then a solution to the problem would be to accept myself and my flaws and to not be afraid to show my true feelings. This is immensely challenging but I'm not going to give up.
Sorry for going off on a tangent there but I hope you can see where I'm coming from and perhaps you can relate to this too. Don't give up on finding people you can connect with. There are tons of people out there. Just put yourself forward and see what happens :)

spyr05

Socializing is an important part of life for almost everybody, including the introverted/phobic to some extent. University is a formative experience in many different ways and provides an experience that you will never replicate, so it's not to be taken lightly.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure if this really helps. You're just putting more pressure on everybody.

StandingJelly

I too don't have any friends; though you can say they are friends within classes/lab times but nothing like hanging out to do activities outside. I've failed the 2nd year of my degree, and now only recovering on my 4th year doing the 3rd year things.

I've got to meet a few people, but most of the time I even struggle to get acquaintances to talk to in lectures and classes. So most of the time, I sit alone; seeing others talk among each other happily makes me don't want to go to the lectures, but I realised I got to endure and maybe learn instead of skipping lectures and failing.

And having friends makes studying much easier, even if it is just one. Reminding each other of assignments, due dates, giving hints to each other and working together solve problem and to make notes.

I've made no new friends this year, maybe strengthened a bit with a few people I already know but that's it.