I'm 17 and never had a girlfriend

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
This article is remarkably good.

Alas, the people who need to read it most are not likely too, as usual.

Nice Guy Syndrome: What it is and why you should kill it with fire - Caveman Circus | Caveman Circus

I found this quote about why women can react as they do particularly interesting:

"I don’t want to make this into more than it is, but I think many men fail to grasp exactly how uncomfortable and, potentially, vulnerable a woman can feel in the face of persistent attention, flattery, and the like.

It flies in the face of years and years of social conditioning to tell an outwardly “nice” man – one who has in no way technically threatened, harassed, or intimidated you – to “get the fcuk away, I’m not interested.” It’s one thing to tell off the drunk who’s trying to cop a feel on the subway (and even that isn’t always easy). But rejecting the friend who just won’t stop hanging around looking for more? It’s not a simple situation.

So, many women just don’t do it. Especially confident and assertive women can do it easily, but even a woman without self-esteem problems could understandably find it difficult to be ruthlessly direct in that situation. All too often, we opt for subtlety instead."

sullyS25

Congratulations. You have time to learn about yourself which is much more important. A lot of the relationships that I had BEFORE I was 17 have affected my relationship that I am in now. I didn't know who I was nor did I love myself and that played out in relationships that broke my heart.

Maybe accepting the fact that you havent had a girlfriend and that you have troubles talking to females and taking it from there. Playing the helpless victim will result in suffering 100 % of the time. Sorry if that comes off as too blunt and/or mean but it is true.

When I was 16, I felt the same way. I thought I'd never find a girl who truly loves me, but believe me, love is there to be found. I know it's painful to be patient, but you have to spent your time on other things as well than relationships. Maybe find a nice hobby, meet with your school friends, go out (if you are the type for going out), play nice games, do other stuff to enjoy and when you go somewhere where people are, could eventually lead to a relationship, but friends are nice too.

It will be fine, and you are 17 years old, that's so young and the big mean guys are not worth your time to compare yourself to, the caring ones are the most beautiful people, so don't worry you will be loved.

fate12321

im 17 too except i dated like back then when i was 14 my first girlfriend, believe me that relationship only lasted about 5 months before i found out she was cheating on me i was hurt. since then i haven't dated, theirs a few girls out here that like me but i prefer to leave them alone, in a 2 1/2 months ill gradate so there's no point in dating these immature girls, just some advice make the best of high school, do something that will benefit you in the future take AP courses for starters, don't worry there plenty of girls out there.

MistMoon

Whoa, not all girls like guys to treat them like crap, that would be a number one turn off for me! Although I do agree popularity is a bunch of BS, especially in high school. All I can tell you is that getting a girlfriend doesn't define who you are, you should go out with someone because you like them and vice versa, not because society is pressuring you too. If you're a nice guy, which you are, the right person will come along.

Last edited:
I never had a boyfriend until I met my boyfriend in 2011 and we are still together, I am turning 21 next month!. Do not worry about it. I am glad I waited for him, I feel as though he is the only one that understands me and my awkwardness and quietness which is funny cause he is so loud and outgoing but when I am with him I feel loud and outgoing too. I have such a good time with him and I am glad I waited. I was like you growing up as a teenager, I always thought I was ugly and that I was going to die a crazy cat lady but my boyfriend came along and we just clicked, it has made me forget bout all the times I looked in the mirror and thought nobody would love me. The right person will come along and you'll be glad you waited, someone who loves you for you and accepts all your social flaws. I know it feels like a big deal at the moment but trust me, someone will come along and you will instantly know. If you are that upset try dating sites online they are a great way to meet people and some of my friends met that way!. It also allows you to talk to people until you feel comfortable enough to meet them!.

shazbck

i think that you should give yourself more credit than you give yourself at present.what makes you think that you are a loser??
god!! you are just 17!!

the thing with low self esteem is that you can always change that around and instead of craving for other people's attention focus on what you can do to make yourself feel good about you.there is so much more to life than you think about right now

Daniel089

I'll be 24 and actually never really had a girlfriend Talking to girls is really not a big deal. I was like you 6 months ago. I registered on a dating site the 2nd girl I met, we were "together" for like 1,5 weeks or so, but she wasn't into me after all... Now I'm dating someone else from the site, and who knows what will happen. It's not a big deal talking to girls, since it's the best if you actually listen to them, and understand them most of the time. And of course you have to say stuff about yourself, but definately not all the time... It's easier than you think, since if you date a sweet and intelligent girl, it won't matter to her at all if you have a big social life or not, believe me!

Kiwong

How do you get girls? A fishing rod?

Lots of nice girls like nice guys. There are really nice girls out there, you got to keep looking and listening for the right ones.

Last edited:

twiggle

Hi OP,
"I'm 17 and never had a girlfriend"
Alternatively think about those people your age who do and consider all the other rubbish that they'll probably have to put up with in their teenage years - arguments with their other half, heart-breaking break-ups, worrying all the time if they don't receive a reply to the message they sent their gf....
Yes relationships can be great but I think the problem here is that you're only seeing a glorified side of them. They can also be hard work which tbh, in your teenage years, you're better off without.
And if the relationships you're currently aware of do stick together, and lead to marriage etc, are you sure you'd want it that way anyway? Unlike them, you can enjoy the rest of your youth, enjoy your freedom, work hard and play harder, travel the world and live your own life before conjoining with somebody else. You'll be a MUCH better person for it.
The trick is to find other things to be interested in, then you won't have as much of a reliance on relationships as a self-verification tool.

Last edited:

mikebird

Banned
Well I see your frustration but I must say it could be worse. Let me elaborate. Being 16 and a girl you barely know informing you that she is pregnant and it's yours, that's a real drag. Being 17 and finding out that the 28 year old woman you've been seeing for 2 months is married after all :thumbdown:. Being 18 and dating some girl that comes from money and expects all the finer things from a boyfriend that barely made $6/hour on a construction job really blows. Luckily for me the one wasn't really pregnant, the married one's husband was also cheating on her so he didn't care. My point is that yes it does suck being alone but some situations are far worse. I work with a dude that's 35 and never had a girlfriend, good guy, good worker, just shy. But he tries as I'm sure you do too. One day it will happen. From my experience I wound up in relationships when I wasn't looking for one at all.

I've been there. It took a decade to be told that girls do anything for a man who earns the most. A friend moaned about this carrot / stick and their two daughters situation. It helps me when others get disappointed for the same reason. My target missus was the social oracle of the town and I was the grad international earner for many years. The cruellest pivot was being alone when she skipped to a closer man of our group to have family. All problems stemmed from there when HR asked about the missus to provide the reason to get rid of me. The question 'what do friends say about you?' is a clearly manufactured tactic to steer away from any 'fiancee / wife / husband' question.

Best answer is 'my other half loves me' That's all you need (never attempted) to trick the plankton

Maybe a forged PDF marriage certificate would mean a perfect job forever.

Ithior

I sort of had a girlfriend when I was 14/15, but it only lasted like 2 months. Haven't been close to having a girlfriend ever since (I'm 20 now, 21 in a few months). I don't know why I can't connect with people anymore.