• Yes

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 26 44.8%
  • Other (agnostic, deist, etc.)

Votes: 11 19.0%

• Total voters

Lorraine Manca

Because science is not perfect - and one would have to be God to be spot on. If you drop a stone into a pond, you'll know it'll create ripples, but you'll not know how many, or how far they'll spread. You're just not seeing the small factors the human mind cannot process.

The whole universe is in symmetry of chaos – to the conscious mind, the pattern is beautiful, and to the unconscious mind, it is nothing but the roll of dice; like a big number cruncher made of infinity.

yeah, hey, thats practically what i meant. theres a lot of stuff out there that is "do not pass go" because the way the math works out. if that makes sense. and that blows my mind. its one of the reasons im not an athiest. i wish i understood it better though.
its all foggy in my head now, but i remember studying these graphs of formulas that should have followed predictable patterns but once you started plugging in these really huge variables, it started acting really strange, like it was falling apart. maybe im just bad at math!

Last edited:
yeah, hey, thats practically what i meant. theres a lot of stuff out there that is "do not pass go" because the way the math works out. if that makes sense. and that blows my mind. its one of the reasons im not an athiest. i wish i understood it better though.

What I meant was, the universe is so big - even multi-verses are theorized to exist outside our own - that what might appear as a pattern, is not. If you've ever sat on a field and made out shapes in the clouds, like a dog, mouse and dragon. You know it's not really any of those, but your mind tries to fill in the gaps, like it sometimes does with the universe. Lack of understanding leads to assumptions, and if science doesn't play a role validating it, then you might as well believe in anything. Like the Daleks are the true masters of the universe. :D

Think I've got a bit too deep now. ::p:

Lorraine Manca

What I meant was, the universe is so big - even multi-verses are theorized to exist outside our own - that what might appear as a pattern, is not. If you've ever sat on a field and made out shapes in the clouds, like a dog, mouse and dragon. You know it's not really any of those, but your mind tries to fill in the gaps, like it sometimes does with the universe. Lack of understanding leads to assumptions, and if science doesn't play a role validating it, then you might as well believe in anything. Like the Daleks are the true masters of the universe. :D

Think I've got a bit too deep now. ::p:

i get so frustrated thinking about this, thats the thing! "science" is a handful of manmade concepts based on order, kind of like religion is, it doesnt take into account disorder! its just another religion! what the hell?

i mean this all in good fun.

If God created man in his own image -- then God would have had to be created in someone else's image, and then that someone would have to be created as well. The theory of God is a paradox, which makes it flawed.

I agree completely. The first-cause argument makes perfect sense to me. I only meant that no one can definitively disprove God's existence because it can't be tested. ::p:

Silvox Black

I am uncertain. If there is one, I doubt he would care about insignificant humans such as us in a vast traverse of universes.

Noca

Banned
Based on experience and many other horrible things that happened to me and good people out there, i had concluded that god does not exist.

That's basing the assumption that God is a morally good altruistic being.

IMO he may or may not exist, if he does, hes not someone id like to worship. I see him as greedy, selfish, and sadistic.

anxiousguy83

Stole the words from my mouth.

'Anxiousguy83' claims there is so much that can't be explained, yet he is certain there is a god.

Do you think everything came to be at random?
The life on earth is so incredible that I can't understand how it would be without a God. If our planet was shifted a little bit out of place one way or another, we couldn't survive here...

okay.. my opinion.. If there is God, who made him, and if there isn't , talking about evolution,. who made that bacteria that started it all... nothing of it makes sense.. and it could be something we will find out about.. but isn't the wise thing to do is just believe.. not in God.. if u don't want to, but in yourself, in medicine that it will be better...and the theory of evolution.. I'm not sure they explain how emotions developed....maybe the brain.. but how did emotions develope. no scientific evidence for that.. But even if there is no God, we still deserve to live good.. and it's in our power to make ourselves better, not in God.. we have to make the moves, not believe that God will make it better someday.. maybe he is the one that helps.. I'm not saying that he doesn't exist.. but we should try even if he doesn't exist... Man is made to believe in something when the hard times come.. he needs something to rely on.. :)

Last edited:
Do you think everything came to be at random?
The life on earth is so incredible that I can't understand how it would be without a God. If our planet was shifted a little bit out of place one way or another, we couldn't survive here...

The universe is so big that the life on other planets could be as common as muck. Where there is one flower, there is another. As I said before, people try to turn the randomness and make it into a pattern by attributing it to a God. Yes, life on Earth is vast and incredible, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder; yourself, and you don’t need to believe in God, it’s not a requirement to be human.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmmkKqHAVMs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlikCebQSlY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnzoxSEiW88&feature=sub

Last edited:

Honda

God and religion is something spiritual not material... Thats something that most people nowadays dont understand... Religion is a way of life that is supposed to make you a better individual.. Meh but who are we kidding nowadays its causing problems cuz of the ignorance of the masses that follow like sheep... While "God" gave them a brain to think and question matters....

iamthenra

In all honesty... I believe that there is something that goes beyond what my scientific mind understands... I have experienced things that go beyond logic or reasoning that quite honestly frightened me. I'm still not sure what it was that happened, but in all honesty it might have been something supernatural that occurred, that led me to believe that there is something outside of what we see, hear, taste, touch. So I did changed my views to agnostic instead of being atheist.

Honda

I dont like religion but believing in a greater being i still find it interesting... Cuz we find ourselves as a tiny bit of a huge universe.. Its just an interesting feeling...

Lea

Banned
I don't think there is a God in humanform, but there is certainly some kind of intelligence throught which is everything manifesting. A rhizome from which stem all living beings and to which they go back to. Paul Brunton says God is our overself, God in in us and part of us. It may be also labelled as our or collective unconscious - something in us that never dies. Also what we learned here will be stored in it and transfered to our next incarnation (how else to explain aready little children with musical gifts or speaking some strange foreign language). Through the incarnations soul matures, the ego becomes weaker... this is somehow the aim... to loose the pride and thoughts that we are in control... and I don't know the end of the story, anyway you will not believe it so why bother :D.

Here some link - a fish which uses mirrors to see. Isn't it intelligent?
Deep Sea Fish Uses Mirrors to See: Discovery News

I don't think there is a God in humanform, but there is certainly some kind of intelligence throught which is everything manifesting. A rhizome from which stem all living beings and to which they go back to. Paul Brunton says God is our overself, God in in us and part of us. It may be also labelled as our or collective unconscious - something in us that never dies. Also what we learned here will be stored in it and transfered to our next incarnation (how else to explain aready little children with musical gifts or speaking some strange foreign language). Through the incarnations soul matures, the ego becomes weaker... this is somehow the aim... to loose the pride and thoughts that we are in control... and I don't know the end of the story, anyway you will not believe it so why bother :D.

Here some link - a fish which uses mirrors to see. Isn't it intelligent?
Deep Sea Fish Uses Mirrors to See: Discovery News

At the end of the day – that is your personal belief, and not backed by proper science. This is where religion/philosophy has become the problem in society. If enough people believe in the same idea, eventually, they merge and become a religion or closed minded cult/group, thus, clashing with scientists who are trying to answer the real questions about the universe.

As to the part about children who appear to have musical abilities or speak strange languages. It is his or her own to call their talent theirs. Not gifted by God or passed down from Mozart or Bach. Information is also passed along the genes - thanks to millions of years of evolution.

Do you follow Buddhism?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ravykEih1rE

Last edited:

Lorraine Manca

got your goat! science and math model a perfect world, which the world isnt. its like a fake replica of the real thing. if you took the "model" and laid it against the real thing, itd match in some places and not match in others and completely fall apart in some spots. close but no cigar! i like to provoke and annoy people. i just dont see how science excludes religion or even competes with it.

just thought of a good example, this is science falling apart miserably when applied to real life,
1. Physics- newton was the head guy, everybody got super excited about science
2. Biology- biology became the next hot topic in history, and things started getting ugly. and folks were sorely dissappointed no body managed to resurrect any corpses( at least i would be). theres was a ton of sci fi stuff, because people thought science had no limits. and people felt powerful and there was frankenstein where man played god and there was prometheus unbound or somethin like that reviving the idea of miltons satan and adding in the ubermenche thingy. and then...
3. Psychology was the last final frontier i guess but- oops! science has limits!

there is the quote "God is dead" I think "science" is going to die one day too. or at least its going to be neutered

thats my rough understanding of the rise and fall of it

Last edited:
got your goat! science and math model a perfect world, which the world isnt. its like a fake replica of the real thing. if you took the "model" and laid it against the real thing, itd match in some places and not match in others and completely fall apart in some spots. close but no cigar! i like to provoke and annoy people. i just dont see how science excludes religion or even competes with it.

I never said the world and science is perfect - My point was that we see perfection from a human standpoint. We can either fill in the gaps with tales about sky gods, messiahs, angels ect or we can study and improve the things we don't know, and seek to fill in the gaps. Then we can step back and take better look at the whole picture. You don't annoy me, I believe through debate one can strengthen their current belief, or rethink it. It's all good. :D

hoddesdon

Based on experience and many other horrible things that happened to me and good people out there, i had concluded that god does not exist.

Of course it would be a million times better were everyone to follow the Law of God. Almost all of those who do not have had the wrong thing done to them first, as well - they have come to the same conclusion as yourself.

A whistling-kettle appears to behave intelligently - it whistles when the water is boiling. However, it is not alive; just a collection of dead objects reacting in a predictable way. Intelligence has assembled them so that the predictable reactions interact producing the desired effect; the kettle itself is dead and lacking intelligence.

The hallmark of intelligence is flexibility, adaptability and the ability to experience. Charting one's own course, using intelligence, is the hallmark of life. This brings good things into being, such as medicine. Whistling-kettles are not flexible, adaptable, experience or make decisions for themselves. With free will comes the risk of doing things the wrong way, but without free will there is no life.

As a whistling-kettle, overall, everyone would be worse off.

God absolutely does exist, by the way.

Last edited:

just thought of a good example, this is science falling apart miserably when applied to real life,
1. Physics- newton was the head guy, everybody got super excited about science
2. Biology- biology became the next hot topic in history, and things started getting ugly. and folks were sorely dissappointed no body managed to resurrect any corpses( at least i would be). theres was a ton of sci fi stuff, because people thought science had no limits. and people felt powerful and there was frankenstein where man played god and there was prometheus unbound or somethin like that reviving the idea of miltons satan and adding in the ubermenche thingy. and then...
3. Psychology was the last final frontier i guess but- oops! science has limits!

there is the quote "God is dead" I think "science" is going to die one day too. or at least its going to be neutered

thats my rough understanding of the rise and fall of it

Recent studies show that the human brain is devolving - in millions of years time, we won't be able to consider any of these questions. Stars are moving away from each other; because the universe is still expanding. If we devolve and evolve back to point where we can understand our surroundings again, the night sky will be pitch black, and no star in sight; apart from our own. It'll be extremely hard for scientists to look at the stars, because they'll be too far away to view. Plus, we won't be able to view the radiation from the Big Bang - so people will think themselves the center of the universe again. Religion will win because it always arises from the lack of knowledge. It's a shame that we live a world where we have discovered these remarkable things, while religion sticks its fingers in its ears, and goes on pretending.

Science is OK when it ain't disproving God. Most here, are using a computer to reply to this thread - thanks to science.

Last edited:
Of course it would be a million times better were everyone to follow the Law of God. Almost all of those who do not have had the wrong thing done to them first, as well - they have come to the same conclusion as yourself.

A whistling-kettle appears to behave intelligently - it whistles when the water is boiling. However, it is not alive; just a collection of dead objects reacting in a predictable way. Intelligence has assembled them so that the predictable reactions interact producing the desired effect; the kettle itself is dead and lacking intelligence.

The hallmark of intelligence is flexibility, adaptability and the ability to experience. Charting one's own course, using intelligence, is the hallmark of life. This brings good things into being, such as medicine. Whistling-kettles are not flexible, adaptable, experience or make decisions for themselves. With free will comes the risk of doing things the wrong way, but without free will there is no life.

As a whistling-kettle, overall, everyone would be worse off.

God absolutely does exist, by the way.

So does Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Fairies at the bottom of the garden, Unicorns, Lepricorns and forest Nymphs - if your God can exist, so can these. ::p: