Laughing problem

NormanBates

This problem might sound kinda odd, wondering if anyone else here has had to deal with this.
But throughout many years of school (and even into college!) I've had this problem of laughing in class when nobody has said anything funny. (well sometimes they did)
Usually this happens when class has gotten boring, and I'm just too deep into my own thoughts. And being a recluse, I'm used to entertaining myself with my own thoughts, so I know how to make me laugh! Sometimes it may even be the sheer awkwardness of a situation that sets me off.
For example: The seating arrangement was such that I had to sit facing directly into the gaze of another student. Day in day out I was always staring into the face of someone unfamiliar. Until one day, I couldn't help but pay too much attention to the awkward facial expressions and avoided eye contact causing me to let out an uninhibited stream of terribly distracting laughter which took me minutes to finally contain. :oops: :oops: :oops: 8O It being a college class, I felt I just did something totally totally unprofessional. How embaressing ........

Can anyone relate?

RedRibbons

Yes. I can totally relate lol. I will find the most mundane situation hilarious if I think about it enough in actuality. I was sitting on one of those accordion buses once in the middle part that turns.. And I was focusing on how it was turning but everyone who wasn't in the turning part was sitting still and I started giggling.. lol. It was ridiculous - I wanted to laugh so hard and share the laughter but everyone was so serious and that made it more funny.

Also, I was on a date once and we were out for dinner and I just started laughing and I couldn't stop. I laughed through the whole meal practically - and ended up apologizing a lot. That was for sure a nervous laughter. It made me feel like a crazy person. It was still a good feeling though, in a way.

Sooo yea I understand lol. It's good to be able to look so deeply at something and draw from every direction the mood and small behaviours and find the hilarity in it. I didn't know other people did that.

GloomySunday

I sometimes play funny things I've seen back in my head. If I'm on a train or somewhere inappropriate I do sometimes lapse into giggles whilst thinking about it. Because I'm laughing about what's in my head, it must look a little odd.

As I'm travelling out tomorrow, I'm going to be thinking about this. I will have to really supress the laughter. It's TV presenter Cat Deeley losing it with an audience. It was from a show spoofing those 'X Factor' and 'American Idol' shows. Even though it was a scripted gag, she made it look so real!

Here it is (thanks again, You Tube).

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JgdCG1cT6mc

saeriyas

RedRibbons said:
I was sitting on one of those accordion buses once in the middle part that turns.. And I was focusing on how it was turning but everyone who wasn't in the turning part was sitting still and I started giggling.. lol. It was ridiculous - I wanted to laugh so hard and share the laughter but everyone was so serious and that made it more funny.

RedRibbons, I was on a bus like that very recently, and I ended up sitting in the middle part that turns, and I thought it was funny too!!!

NormanBates, I've experienced what happended to you as well.
One example, is when I hear people talk with certain accents. I worry that I'm being rude, and I don't want to get in trouble, but I really feel to laugh.
This happened recently in a French class I took. The teacher was from Belgium, and his accent was so amazing to me! I'd start laughing a little bit sometimes, and I didn't see anyone else in the class laugh at the same moment.
Also, I really felt like laughing hearing other people trying to read something in French from our textbook.
One girl seemed to come up with the wackiest pronunciations I'd ever heard. There was the word "manger", and she CONTINUALLY kept saying "menage", which made me keep thinking of "menage a trois"! I felt to laugh so much!
If you don't know, people usually use that term to refer to a "threesome": three people having sex together!
The teacher would correct her, but she'd continue to say "menage".
I know. This probably would be silly to most people--but it made ME feel to laugh!

GloomySunday, THANKS for putting those links up! Those were very funny!
It's good that you found those!

lol yeah I laugh way too much just from thinking of funny things that I've seen. I constantly have to bite my lip in school just to stop myself from bursting out in laughter, but I love it!

psipop

this also happens to me in class. last week the prof was trying to lower a screen (via a switch) so he could show us a movie. however he screwed up and two screens came down instead. after a second he looked up and realized his mistake and made the wrong screen go back up. one screen was going up while the other was going down simultaneously and for some reason this struck me as the funniest thing on earth. i kept giggling/snorting sporadically throughout the period.

also, i always used to feel the urge to laugh in church when my parents forced me to go. while sitting there reverently, i would involuntarily think of hilarious things that had happened over the course of my life.

ifalter

yessir! is that why i am this way, because i'm used to being a recluse? my sister and her boyfriend found it odd how i'd be in my room laughing my head off with the TV off. my mind provides entertainment as is! its called thinking, people! memories, ya know, funny ones. happens ALL the time. inside jokes with myself. meh. i'm in college as well. =] but, yes, it does happen to me there, actually! i laugh over the un-funny things in life, like grammar mistakes. they are so funny! i'm a nerd, and love grammar and spelling and etc. when someone mispronounces a word, its so hard not to laugh..yeah hard to understand. usually, some poeple laugh for a few seconds. but my laughter is sooo long. and i have to stifle it, since its by nature really loud.

NormanBates said:
This problem might sound kinda odd, wondering if anyone else here has had to deal with this.
But throughout many years of school (and even into college!) I've had this problem of laughing in class when nobody has said anything funny. (well sometimes they did)
Usually this happens when class has gotten boring, and I'm just too deep into my own thoughts. And being a recluse, I'm used to entertaining myself with my own thoughts, so I know how to make me laugh! Sometimes it may even be the sheer awkwardness of a situation that sets me off.
For example: The seating arrangement was such that I had to sit facing directly into the gaze of another student. Day in day out I was always staring into the face of someone unfamiliar. Until one day, I couldn't help but pay too much attention to the awkward facial expressions and avoided eye contact causing me to let out an uninhibited stream of terribly distracting laughter which took me minutes to finally contain. :oops: :oops: :oops: 8O It being a college class, I felt I just did something totally totally unprofessional. How embaressing ........

Can anyone relate?

rand0m_guy

I have uncontrollable laughter at the most bizarre things that I'm sure the vast majority of normal folk wouldn't find amusing in the slightest.

It doesn't matter what makes you laugh, just make the most of it. Laughing is the best anti-depressant there is. ^_^

j_brown2

Banned
I got this all the time around my father. Whenever I see him I have to laugh so hard. If he is sitting there in the living room and I just have to go by I laugh so hard coz I find it funny, don't know why. Poor father he thinks Iam laughing at him always. Sometimes when we 2 worked together on something it been so uncomfortable. The more he asked what's funny the harder I laughed. I should feel bad, he made some weird faces lol. I can't control myself. It's either Iam gona have a mean anxious face or laugh my ass off. I can't be normal

I LOL'ED so hard at that vid and i don't even understand their language
and yes things like seeing someone get hit in the balls is so funny or any other mistake

i have never really laughed out of random in class or work ect but i do think about stuff and sometimes i get real into it and like smile because its amusing or something, people wonder why i do it and ask but i just say nah its nothing

and yes laughter is the best medicince, theres nothing like a good laugh

gsmax5

I LOL'ED so hard at that vid and i don't even understand their language
and yes things like seeing someone get hit in the balls is so funny or any other mistake

i have never really laughed out of random in class or work ect but i do think about stuff and sometimes i get real into it and like smile because its amusing or something, people wonder why i do it and ask but i just say nah its nothing

and yes laughter is the best medicince, theres nothing like a good laugh

Hey, one more post until you're no longer a newbie! You should request to get your name changed to "Intermediate User"