Most overused words you hate/can think of

nodejesque

'Gnarly', and the misuse of the term 'anti-social' many people claim to be anti-social without understanding the meaning.

Also, 'ratchet' 'bae' and 'turnt-up or down'

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
"you know" , and people using the word "shit" as a substitute to "stuff" to refer to pretty much everything.

I agree with this 100%.

They seem to accompany each other a lot, too.

"And you know I was all up in that shit."
"You know, that was some cooooooool shit, man."
"Shit... you know?"

*bricksmash to the face*

Ithior

people using the word "shit" as a substitute to "stuff" to refer to pretty much everything.

Interesting. In real life I hate swearing. In certain websites I likely say "shit" all the time, but when I come to this forum I always write "stuff". When I talk to myself I say "shit", pretty much like the people you described. In fact, I swear a lot when I'm talking to myself, but I never swear in real life. Even if for some reason I want to intentionally swear, I always hesitate before saying the word.

Merel

This is probably very petty, but I don't like the use of "you know" and "[..], right?" constantly placed in sentences in a way that sounds like the speaker needs affirmation from the listener. Saying "you know" when you're telling me something I don't know yet also voids the point of saying it. I can take these phrases here and there, but find 'like' and 'um' much more tolerable fillers in comparison.

One that is REALLY getting on my nerves is people saying ''Lel'' or ''Lul'' instead of ''Lol.'' The original is already pretty so-so communication wise, but at least it stands for something. The others are just frustrating meaningless pointless evolutions.

gustavofring

The word and concept of "Selfie".

It sounds so dumb and kind of highlights the narcissism of this whole generation. I've heard even older people say it, which makes it even dumber.

One that is REALLY getting on my nerves is people saying ''Lel'' or ''Lul'' instead of ''Lol.'' The original is already pretty so-so communication wise, but at least it stands for something. The others are just frustrating meaningless pointless evolutions.

basta*dizing a language more than it already is...
I am certain this won't stop here.

What irritates me the most is that tendency to call everyone "nig**" that typical ghetto/hip-hop african-americans have.

MollyBeGood

This is probably very petty, but I don't like the use of "you know" and "[..], right?" constantly placed in sentences in a way that sounds like the speaker needs affirmation from the listener. Saying "you know" when you're telling me something I don't know yet also voids the point of saying it. I can take these phrases here and there, but find 'like' and 'um' much more tolerable fillers in comparison.

Oh yeah...I get the "right?" All of the time. I just ignore now. I cannot stand it anymore. Constant affirmation after every sentence is exhausting!

How about "exactly". too much of that word too makes me want to run for the hills.

'Gnarly', and the misuse of the term 'anti-social' many people claim to be anti-social without understanding the meaning.
^Totally agree at people just waving the label of "anti-social" about without knowing the actual meaning of it. Grrrrr.

I also hate "tough luck" and "suck it up".
Why don't those people just say........"I don't give a bleep about you and don't care that something bad has happened in your life, so shut up".
It's feels like they are the verbal equivalent of giving the middle finger to someone.

chibiXphantom

"literally" when used incorrectly
"begs the question"/"begging the question" which is hardly ever used correctly
"check your privilege"
"problematic"
"cis"
and pretty much the majority of sjw/tumblr lingo

In use

This isn't really overused, just misused, but I find it kind of annoying when people ask if they can "borrow" something that they can't give back. Say if someone asks to borrow a tissue, or flour, or just anything with a one time use. I hear this one a lot and it annoys me! You can HAVE it, but not borrow, since I wouldn't want any of those things back anyways.

R3K

"literally" when used incorrectly
"begs the question"/"begging the question" which is hardly ever used correctly
"check your privilege"
"problematic"
"cis"
and pretty much the majority of sjw/tumblr lingo

^I haaaaaaaate when people over-use the word "literally"...
"turnt up" also xD

Requiescat

I don't hear the word ironic very often, I have seen it's come into vogue and is being atrociously misused. I think the form I have seen most often is "ironical" or "ironically".

I suppose alot of the others people hate could be filed under 'filler words': words used excessively without a lot of meaning, or the meaning or intensity is lost through repetitivity. A lot of interjections. "lol" used to annoy me a lot, especially when people used it in real life! Lol *slaps self*.