New Guy with a Question

Karail

Hi All,

I have been reading these forums for a few days now and finally decided to post. I have been suffering from SA/SP for almost 2 years however have only come to know of SA/SP in the past 6-8 months. When reading up on the condition it is like reading a chapter out of my own life, one that i unfortunatly seem trapped in at the moment yet one i am determined to get out off. As a step towards helping myself i hope you don't mind me joining your community. :)

I am a very libral person and want to help people here just as much i may get help here. However i would like to start with a question...Does anyone ever get really overwhelpmend when in a social situation even when just in a room with a few people who arnt even paying attention to you?

Sometimes i can be working on my computer in the office and all of a sudden it hits me, for no reason. A feeling like a headache but not really painful and an enormours feeling of pressure that can almost make me disoriantated. I suspect it may be some sort of anxiety attack but havent seen anything like it described when reading about SA/SP so far. If anyone else has experiances like this i would love to here about them so i know i am not alone.

I look forward to chatting to you all in the future and hope i can help a few people along the way :)

Karail

grumblina, ty for the welcome. its good to know i am not the only one. i thought it might be unrelated which sared me a little.

Chilling__Echo

we all react to stress in different ways. it's like side effects, there's so many varrying ones but some are more common than others. it's probably the SA unfortunately for you. ever do breathing excercises?

Karail

i have started experimenting with meditation and breath effects recently and find them very effective. although they dont work when it gets really bad.

Chilling__Echo

hm, maybe they will with time? i dunno, good luck. ever been on meds for it? by the way did you know you were playing 20 questions? :wink:

Nadine333

Hey Karail,

Yes I have those problems you describe, I have recentely left another office job because of my SP. If new people came in the office I just couldn't concentrate, I'd be already blushing and feeling anxiety just the thought of them being introduced to me. I get all hot and flusterd if some one stands to close to me in a que or something or looks into my eyes for to long. Do you find that you bury your head in your work all day long, just so you dont have to talk to people?? And if your work runs out, you get sooooooo frustrated because you might actually have to make conversation with some one?

This is why I leave work, I feel like I just cant cope, every day is a huge ordeal for me and leaves you feeling miserable and drained.

On a lighter note............. Welcome x

Karail

Nadine333 said:
Hey Karail,

Do you find that you bury your head in your work all day long, just so you dont have to talk to people??

Hi Nadine, i do bury myself in my work all day and there lots to do so i never run out, this actually works in my favour because the amount of work i do often gets me ahead in my job. i guess it makes up for my social pitfalls. I too get very nervous if there are new people in the office, normally its very quite where i work so the change can be very scary. I find having a cigarette outside and trying to regroup helps sometimes.

Nadine333

Yeah I was doing that but then even though I worked really hard, people were commenting how often and for how long I would go for a smoke. I just needed to do that to escape.