Och aye the noo

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Listening me'self some ACDC .. havin a wee session of it, wth the grog 'n all! Playin it "loud'n'proud" as brian just said now (stereo on full-tit .. bass on good)

So yee inta a bit of acdc i'd guess? a proper good 'ol scottish rock band .. nout like em eh?!

Oh aye, love AC/DC... Even though, Brian is a Geordie from Newcastle. Not that am holdin' that against him. Ah love tha Geordie accent, mainly cuz there's a few similarities with Scots accent using words like "Aye" an "gaun". Plus, they can swear properly, love to get drunk an huv a laugh. :bigsmile:

But ah digress... Ah actually aw AC/DC live twice in Glasgow at Hampden Park football stadium. First time was the Black Ice tour - one of the best gigs I ever attended. Crowd were well intae. And more recently, on the last Rock or Bust tour, which wus'nae as good. Sound issues plagued much of the gig and Malcolm no being there, it just didnae feel tha same.

Also, the band didnae chat much with the crowd between songs. Though, ah did huv a brief chat with rather, attractive lassie named Jenny, who'd came all the way from Manchester to see them, while waitin' in line for the disabled toliet to become vaccant. Slightly on the chubby side, but she's wus far from ugly. She'd be a fan of them since she was 9 years old. And she wondered if I played the electric guitar, which ah do, of course. As did she, and we got chatting about that. How long had been playing? How were my initial influences, etc. She wus quite impressed that I'd been playing since age 14 and been self-taught from age 16. Though, when it came to the "Who's yer all time favourite guitarist?" question, ah couldnae pick just one, sayin' that ah didnae really huv an all time favourite since there are some many greats to pick from. And they all influence you in different ways.

Ah mean, Angus Young it's all about the energy, stage presence and feel of his playing. Y'know what ah mean? Like his love for playing the guitar and the blues really shine through in his playin' and his guitar solos are have a really raw edge to them, even though, he might not seem to playing anything particular complex. Not like these virtuoso guitarists who look their gvin' their fretboard a handjob when playing solos - up and down, up and down.

Not that I don't appreciated and am inspired by the likes Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman and the like. And the hours they've put in to get that great. It's just ah tend to agree with Tony Iommi that all that fancy playing means nothin' without a great riff as yer starting point.

Sorry, went off a bit of a tangent there. :giggle:

Graeme1988

That said, the conversation probably wouldnae huv happened at all, if she'd hud'nae copped a good look at the Guns N' Roses related t-shirt ah wus wearin'. Technically, it was the UK tour t-shirt I bought when I saw Slash and Co-Conspiritors in Edinburgh back in 2013.

Though, ma only complaint about AC/DC live whenever they play in Scotland these past few years is regardin' a certain song that Brian won't play live outta respect for Bon, which is fair enough. But just once in Glasgow, ah'd huv loved to huv seen them play this song live... Even as a one-off.

YouTube

Would've been great to hear it on Black Ice tour, back in 2009. Not only because Malcolm was still in the band and in good health, but it would've been that wee bit mair special and emotional for both fans and Young brother playing in for their hometown crowd.

Plus, there was a massive backlash in Scotland cuz AC/DC never announced a concert here when they announced the UK leg of Black Ice World Tour initially. And Scottish fans and radio stations were ragin' because they'd saved the best for last. June 30th 2009; Hampden Park, Glasgow.

Also, ironically, there was an actual bagpiper at the Glasgow gig of their recent Rock or Bust UK tour. And the crowd went mentally when they heard the sound initially, cuz the piper wus playin' just a folk were starting to fille intae tha stadium. And being in Scotland, knowing the band's family connection to the country, everybuddy wus thinkin'...

"Awww, ya f***in' dancer !! YAAASSS!! They're gonnae openin' wae It's A Long Way To The Top"
happy107.gif
Which would really huv got the crowd going and set the tone for the evening.

But naw, much to everybuddy's disappoint, the bagpiper wus only there to lead this effin' American hipster blues support act on stage - who were pure shite. Didnae tell the crowd the names of the songs, so it's just felt like a really long borin' jam session. :eek:h: Whilist it wus just the Yanks poorly attempt to win over the Scottish audience in tha most patronising manner, the crowd went f***in' mental when they saw the bagpiper walk oot oan stage - and he wus dressed as you'd expect.

scottish_bagpiper.jpg

Last edited:

Graeme1988

Awww... F***in' hell! Ah wus gittin' well intae that post ah wus just writin' here when ma web browser just crashes oot o' naewhere :kickingmyself:

Gonnae huv tae start over noo, which is a pain in tha arse for me. :thumbdown:

Would've been great to hear it on Black Ice tour, back in 2009. Not only because Malcolm was still in the band and in good health, but it would've been that wee bit mair special and emotional for both fans and Young brother playing in for their hometown crowd
Apparently Malcom was showing early signs of his dementia at that time, but i thnk maybe only the band could see this, eg it was affecting his song-writing process a bit. So, after years of playing "Highway to Hell" he's now at the end of th highway & in his own persanal hell, i can surely imagine :sad:

Graeme1988

Apparently Malcom was showing early signs of his dementia at that time, but i thnk maybe only the band could see this, eg it was affecting his song-writing process a bit.

Ye could be right, since the band were very reluctant about disclosing Malcolm huvin' dementia, initially. And rightly so - considering how devastatin' the news must've been for the band, but Angus inparticular.

So, after years of playing "Highway to Hell" he's now at the end of th highway & in his own personal hell, i can surely imagine :sad:

Ah know... Tragic, really. Ah don't know if they'll ever tour again. :sad:
At least, ah cannae see them continue without Malcolm, even if they got Malcolm's son (And Angus' nephew), Stevie, in as rhytthm guitarist for that recent tour. And Chris Slade had been in the band previously in the early 90s. So he was more of a return to the band than a replacement.

Also, ah forgot to mention in ma previous post about AC/DC, it wus'nae until after (me, my mum, my sister and her boyfriend) saw them on the Rock or Bust tour, that ma sister pointed oot that ah share the same birthday as Angus Young.

Graeme1988

Damn! ...the flames coming out of those pipes made that truly epic!

Whoa ! :eek: That wus effin' brilliant!! Any idea who that lad is and where he's from? Cannae be Scotland?

Though, the typically dour, cynical, Scottish part of me wus like... "Aww, f**k... This'll be shite!" :eek:mg: :bigsmile:

That said, if ye love the sound o' tha bagpipes but want a more tribal approach. Ye should check out Clanadonia... They're not yer typical Scottish bagpipe band but that why they're great.

Clanadonia

Clanadonia - Tu-Bardh

^ Can ye imagine if the Scottish Nationalist Party used the above band's music as the soundtrack during their pro-independence referendum campaign? We'd huv got Scottish independence for sure. Cuz doesn't half git ye goin'...

Clanadonia - Shadowdancer

Though, if yer want summit with a more traditional cèilidh party atmosphere to it, check oot the Treacherous Orchestra... They're brilliant as well.

Treacherous Orchestra - Superfly

Graeme1988

The Bad Piper. I am too lazy to google him now, but I think he is an Australian. With Scottish parents.

Cool! :thumbup: Ah'll huv to see if he's got any album available on CD or download cuz that AC/DC cover wus great. :perfect:

Graeme1988

Ah feel like everythin' is going to shite around me... And there's nuthin' ah cun do. :crying: Ah feel like a right selfish cunt for focusing oan masel' at the moment. :sad:

defiance

Ah feel like everythin' is going to shite around me... And there's nuthin' ah cun do. :crying: Ah feel like a right selfish cunt for focusing oan masel' at the moment. :sad:

Man I'm so sorry you are feeling what you are. As you know it's a day to day sh*t fest inside my mind as well. I know what it's like. I really wish I had words to cheer you up as well as myself, but how can I when I am just as lost.:crying:

Graeme1988

Man I'm so sorry you are feeling what you are. As you know it's a day to day sh*t fest inside my mind as well. I know what it's like. I really wish I had words to cheer you up as well as myself, but how can I when I am just as lost.:crying:

Naw, ma previous wus'nae related in any way to ma internal struggle inside ma heid. It wus mainly aboot ma dysfunctional, manipulative an emotional abusive immediate family. And just being stuck in middle of it all. :kickingmyself: :sad:

One of ma sister is huvin marriage issue with her husband, who's Irish, ever since they had a kid last year, and it's only gotten worse. Oh, they live in Ireland, btw. An ma sister constantly on the phone to our mum, bawling cuz there been another argument, and ah huv to hear aboot it. Since mum, loudly, gives a f***in' running commentary, repeating whit ma sister says. Thhen calls the husband a useless bast@rd, both words she has called me in the past. Though, "useless" being tha more frequent of the two adjectives. But then she's a feminist of the irrational sort, so that demeaning language is to be expected.

Sorry for getting deeply personal, there. Just needed tae clarify whit ah meant.

defiance

Naw, ma previous wus'nae related in any way to ma internal struggle inside ma heid. It wus mainly aboot ma dysfunctional, manipulative an emotional abusive immediate family. And just being stuck in middle of it all. :kickingmyself: :sad:

One of ma sister is huvin marriage issue with her husband, who's Irish, ever since they had a kid last year, and it's only gotten worse. Oh, they live in Ireland, btw. An ma sister constantly on the phone to our mum, bawling cuz there been another argument, and ah huv to hear aboot it. Since mum, loudly, gives a f***in' running commentary, repeating whit ma sister says. Thhen calls the husband a useless bast@rd, both words she has called me in the past. Though, "useless" being tha more frequent of the two adjectives. But then she's a feminist of the irrational sort, so that demeaning language is to be expected.

Sorry for getting deeply personal, there. Just needed tae clarify whit ah meant.

Man again I'm sorry that you have to put up with that sh*t. As if having your own issues isn't enough right, now you have that on top of it. I can only hope that in the future in some way it will get better for you. I'll continue to hope for that.:thumbup:

Graeme1988

Ah hope aw this pain will be worth in tha end? Otherwise0 ah might as well do whit ah should've done 10 years ago an kill masel'. Ah mean, ah've hud got plenty of justifiable reasons for gan through wae it. Well, 2 actually...

defiance

Ah hope aw this pain will be worth in tha end? Otherwise0 ah might as well do whit ah should've done 10 years ago an kill masel'. Ah mean, ah've hud got plenty of justifiable reasons for gan through wae it. Well, 2 actually...

It's a day to day struggle trying to convince myself to stay even though I know what my day will be filled with. I'm with you when you say that hopefully the pain will be worth it. Don't know man...I just don't know.:kickingmyself::kickingmyself::kickingmyself::kickingmyself:

Graeme1988

:kickingmyself: Physiotherapy doesnae start for another week... FFS!! That whole week wasted, sittin' aboot in utter post-surgery agony.

An while am oan that topic why is gan under the knife for surgery considered "brave"? Is it due the potential risks an complications? Ah don't know... Ah guess as disabled person ah've always found the words "brave" an "special" patronising when it comes to disability and able-bodied folk. In that, yer kinda being dismissive of how difficult day to day life can be, at times. Especially if there a lotta pain ye huv tae endure cuz of the disability itself. Unless ye consider suffering through it while still being able to smile an no complain "brave", then, fair enough.

Then there's the social alienation an isolation, but that whole other issue...

Though you'd be singin' a different tune if we traded lives for a day. Might huv a better understand of whit it's like bein' a disabled person.

Graeme1988

It's a day to day struggle trying to convince myself to stay even though I know what my day will be filled with. I'm with you when you say that hopefully the pain will be worth it. Don't know man...I just don't know.:kickingmyself::kickingmyself::kickingmyself::kickingmyself:

Aye, it certainly is. Ah've been findin' it awfy difficult just gettin' oot tha bed most days knowin' it's tha same routine. Nuthin' new, nuthin' different. Jist more o' tha same, really.

As far as the pain bein' worth that for me is both on a physical and emotional level, since ah still huv family in ma life who huv treated like crap but can't rid masel' o' them cuz they're convinced I still need them in my life, despite me no longer givin' a f**k about them. And physical pain, mainly due my disabilty, in general, and recent surgery.

defiance

It's so funny and so sad at the same time what I'm about to say. Again I cannot say this without sounding like a complete assh*le. I wish my family didn't care so I can have more of a reason to end it. I really wish they didn't. It's the only thing holding me back. I don't want this anymore. It's not fair for me to stay when I want out. I had heard one time my family telling a story about me and how I was really sick when I was a baby. They said I almost didn't make it. I wish I hadn't because then I wouldn't live to see this mental hell hole that I find myself in. I just don't want to hurt anymore. I'm really sorry that you feel that way too. I can't relate to the physical aspect but the mental side of things is a different story and I'm with you.