Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

Flanscho

Gaah... So officially I'm still employed, but my company said that got nothing to do with me right now, so I'm about to do whatever I want to until my job ends at the end of this month.
That is, until I got a SMS this morning, to show up next week, since they got stuff for me to do. Duh... Whyyy? In the last week that I'm still employed there, they found some nonsense to do? Gah...

Apart from some interesting job offers here in my city, I got one from Switzerland. Sadly, it wasn't the right thing for me, so I politely denied by mail (the guy was on vacation and, according to him, not reachable by anything but mail). Now, a week later, my still-boss, who got some contact to the Switzerland guy, told me, that he never got any reply from me. Now I look like an ******* for saying earlier that I would reply without, seemingly, ever doing so. I told my ex-boss that I sent a mail and it was correctly registered as being sent, and that I don't know why he didn't get it, that it maybe showed up in his spam folder (which is unlikely though since he got my earlier mail too).
Despite having done nothing wrong, I now look like an *******. Gah...

montejocarlo

Like a million fireflies in the deepest gloom,
Ablaze with endless beauty and silent wonder,
Patiently safekeeping dreams and broken hopes,
Hanging in the sky - the lanterns of heaven.

Subpop

I moved some more of my home office stuff to my new place today. I took my bike as well and forced myself to go for an hour ride. First time I have departed from my new place on my bike. I rode into the marina precint to have a look around. I have been there once or twice before but never on my bike. Riding a bike gives a different perspective on places. I ordered a coffee and sat out of the wind overlooking the boats. So many boats but so few of them get regularly used. I can tell this from the condition of the hulls and the mooring ropes. So much has been invested and so much potential unrealised.

As I was sitting there, I started to think about when I have travelled overseas, in particular I started to remember some of the people I had met whilst travelling. Most of these people were travelling alone. I then realised that I never felt lonely when I was travelling......it was as if I belonged to a group or culture which for the most part readily accepted other travellers no questions asked. It was so easy to meet people, hang out, share some amazing times then just move on to the next adventure. It was as if being in a novel environment kind of nuetralised my self consciousness and gave me confidence in my ability to seek adventure and take positive risks.

There has been many many times in my life since my last trip to India and Nepal where I have thought that I should throw caution to the wind and just travel. I met a guy in India who had been travelling for 5 years, spending 4-5 months in places he felt some affinity with, making some money, and then moving on. I would so love to take 2 or 3 years out of the workforce, buy a backpack and a tent and start circumnavigating the globe on a shoestring budget, keep a journal and see whom I meet along the way, where I end up and what I end up doing. I am getting itchy feet...I need a holiday, even if it is to a camping ground a few hours away by car for a night. Small effort can create momentum.

Last edited:

GraybeardGhost

Getting ready to make the phone call I was supposed to make the other day, but never did.

Anxious. Trembling. Can't breathe.

Why does this scare me so much?

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I talked to someone not too long ago. He's wise, his words were wise. If only his message would get into my thick skull. I don't know how to make it happen.

I'm sick, I feel miserable. I want to scream, but I can't. I don't want to give anyone who's tried to put me down the pleasure of seeing that they're getting to me. I feel weak and pathetic for letting it get to me like this, for not listening to my friends, for not listening to anyone, for not trusting.

I give advice to others, yet I'm unable to follow my own logic. Hypocritical, isn't it?
I would call what you have described 'being human'. Sucks sometimes.

Lots of people on here feeling anxious (well, duh), depressed, etc., but I really don't have any good advice or kind words that haven't been heard before :idontknow:

I hope you all feel better soon, though.

DeadmanWalking

Well, I did my good deed for the day: right when my misery about being alone on Valentine's Day was about to eat me alive, a girl came up and asked me where a room was. At first I couldn't find it, so, she left and I went looking for it and it was closer than we thought:giggle:. So, she came back after some time and I guided her directly to the room...... and hightailed it out of there, which, in retrospect, I probably shouldn't have done:blushing:.

In other news, I finally finished the Percy Jackson series:D! Next up, the sequel series!

My college seems to be making a big deal out of this day though. I've seen people with flowers and candy that were delivered to them. Ah well! One more year of no chocolates or flowers! I'm going for the all-time record of this:lol:!

MikeyC

For me it'd be wonderful if someone even cared.
I care.

Getting ready to make the phone call I was supposed to make the other day, but never did.

Anxious. Trembling. Can't breathe.

Why does this scare me so much?
Phone calls are still something I have issues with, but the more you expose yourself to this situation, the better you will be. How did it go?

I talked to someone not too long ago. He's wise, his words were wise. If only his message would get into my thick skull. I don't know how to make it happen.

I'm sick, I feel miserable. I want to scream, but I can't. I don't want to give anyone who's tried to put me down the pleasure of seeing that they're getting to me. I feel weak and pathetic for letting it get to me like this, for not listening to my friends, for not listening to anyone, for not trusting.

I give advice to others, yet I'm unable to follow my own logic. Hypocritical, isn't it?
What was his message?

"I give advice to others, yet I'm unable to follow my own logic." Yes, that is me a lot of the time, too! I know what I should be doing, because that's what I tell others, but to actually put my words into action is a little bit different.

Also, I think you're a bit stronger than you think.

Steppen-Wolf

Holy crap... I just had an epiphany.

If I want to have a life I have to be proactive and actually go out and search for "it". Sitting on my butt is never gonna achieve that.

Took me a while to understand that...

GraybeardGhost

Phone calls are still something I have issues with, but the more you expose yourself to this situation, the better you will be. How did it go?

I got through it in one piece (only stopped breathing once), but it was still very stressful. The woman I talked to seemed very nice and willing to help, though. Maybe the next call won't be so bad.

Thanks for asking, Mikey! :)

awkwardamanda

I was shocked to read that the US minimum wage is currently $7.25 per hour, with Obama proposing raising it to $9 - compare this to Australia's minimum wage of $15.96 ($16.55), the US must have some very greedy employers

Wow. In Canada it varies by province. In Manitoba, minimum wage is currently $10.25. It was $7.00 when I started working in retail 8 years ago. The US and Canadian dollars are roughly equivalent (give or take a few cents). I don't how the Australian dollar compares.

GraybeardGhost

I was shocked to read that the US minimum wage is currently $7.25 per hour, with Obama proposing raising it to $9 - compare this to Australia's minimum wage of $15.96 ($16.55), the US must have some very greedy employers

At first blush, it seems like an immense difference, but what happens when you factor in cost of living, taxes, etc.? :question:

Seriously, I have no idea. Just wondering.

hidwell

At first blush, it seems like an immense difference, but what happens when you factor in cost of living, taxes, etc.? :question:

Seriously, I have no idea. Just wondering.

America is still a very hard country to live in if you are working for minimum wage. Even factoring cost of living Australia is way in front.