Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

Lea

Banned
Some insects are very avoidant (ants are one of the worst). They never want to climb up my finger when I want to take them out. Moths are usually most obedient (to their own benefit). I feel sorry for moths and beetles who fall on their back and can´t turn themselves over. It is said that when they do, it´s their inevitable death unless someone or something turns them back over. How come the nature invented this so stupidly? :sad:

But not, this is what I found now: When a normal insect falls on its back, it could correct its position with the coordinated movements of the legs and wings. However, it lacks partially or completely its ability to perform complex tasks through coordinated movements, when poisoned by the pesticides that mostly affect the nervous system. Because of the convulsions, the insect may often flip on its back, and move the legs in uncoordinated manner. It finally becomes paralytic before death, and hence it could not correct its position. If a normal insect dies due to injury, lack of nutrition or aging, it may also fall on its back because it lacks strength to correct its position.

Interesting facts about moths 7 Things You Don't Know About Moths | National Moth Week, Moth Species | LiveScience
Point 7 :eek:

You can't beat Karma.
What goes around, comes around.....
You bite the hand that feeds you, of course it's going to slap you good. :eek:h:

Oh yeah, I forgot: Margaret Atwood is going to be giving a talk in Cambridge in a few days. I'm attending to get credit for one of two mandatory cultural events we have to pick and attend in one of my classes. The event costs, but it's only $5 and I think that's more than worth it to go see such a great author in person! I've never read The Handmaid's Tale (or anything else of hers), but I've heard about how great a novel it is and I'm really looking forward to seeing Ms. Atwood :) I just wish I had someone to go with! Maybe I can find a classmate...

Edit: Ummm... never mind. The event is sold out :sad: As is the Stephen King one :crying: Not fair. I should have guessed. Lame, lame, laaaaaaame.

Last edited:

jaim38

What Higher Education Should Be For | LinkedIn

I do agree that some liberal arts is required for the student to be more well-rounded as a person. One way to go about this is to make liberals arts courses a requirement for all degree plans, including sciences and engineering. Many colleges have a general core curriculum that all students must complete before they take courses in their major.

The professor mentioned that a 4-year liberal arts degree at Swarthmore is roughly $200K in sticker price. I gotta wonder, why go to Swartmore when you can take way cheaper classes at your local community college or local public university? What makes a liberal arts degree at Swarthmore much more valuable than a similar degree anywhere else? Sure, there could be smaller classes, better food, and more counseling support at Swarthmore, but I really don't think they're worth $200K combined, not to mention I don't need all the fancy dorm food or extra amenities that they're trying to sell. It's another business trying to market itself, or "differentiate" as they say.

I hate it when people think that being a strong person is one in the same as being a condescending and abrasive j-erk.

(Really? I can say ''asshole'' but I can't say ''j-erk''?)

Last edited: