Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

Here an idea - create a legal torrent site that you pay a subscription to (the height of which is related to how much you download) which is then largely distributed towards the content creators.

The appeal of torrents sites isn't it being 'free'. The appeal is utter freedom with the content once you have it. I'd pay a lot of money to have unrestricted and legal access to torrents if it meant the creators got their fair share. Both sides win.

No weird DRM bogus that doesn't allow you to use your player of choice or move it to an external drive.

Silatuyok

I've just noticed that when I refuse a friend request on facebook, that person becomes one of my "followers." Is this an automated thing, or just a weird coincidence?

Odo

Banned
I've just noticed that when I refuse a friend request on facebook, that person becomes one of my "followers." Is this an automated thing, or just a weird coincidence?

That sounds like the very essence of creepiness.
"I'm not your friend, I'm just following you."

They're coming to get you, Marie! Mwahahaha...

Silatuyok

That sounds like the very essence of creepiness.
"I'm not your friend, I'm just following you."

They're coming to get you, Marie! Mwahahaha...

It is kind of creepy! That's why I'm wondering if it isn't just one of those weird things facebook does without asking anybody if it's okay.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Sometimes the other side isn't worth listening to. There's a fine line between being open-minded and defending someone's right to be a complete idiot.

Oh I know. I mean, if the other side isn't worth listening too, the hope would be them making a lot of noise wouldn't sway people anyway (See: Westboro Baptist Church). I think about some things it's actually good to have a closed mind about - like whether or not you could survive jumping off a high cliff. Maybe take a second to consider the possibility of your survival, and then quickly conclude it's not gonna happen. My example was just to further the point made by Capsaicin that it's not really being open minded if you only consider your own view, you actually have to be open to other things.

I feel like the point I really want to make is on the tip of my tongue but I don't know how to articulate it properly. It's sort of along the lines of the above paragraph.

Ithior

That IS creepy and why I don't Facebook. Sounds like another word for stalker.

I've considering if I should delete my facebook account. It's becoming more and more a stalking tool and I don't want to be stalked.
Why does everyone need to know what phone I use, which posts/images I "like", groups I join, things I look at,... If I wanted to share them, I would.

I'm only using it because it's the main way for me to talk to my friends.

Silatuyok

I've considering if I should delete my facebook account. It's becoming more and more a stalking tool and I don't want to be stalked.
Why does everyone need to know what phone I use, which posts/images I "like", groups I join, things I look at,... If I wanted to share them, I would.

I'm only using it because it's the main way for me to talk to my friends.

It has definitely gotten a lot more complicated to keep things private. Even if you have your profile set to private, like I do. I've seen things on facebook that I know those people probably didn't want me to see...and most likely vice versa. So be careful where you click!

Ithior

It has definitely gotten a lot more complicated to keep things private. Even if you have your profile set to private, like I do. I've seen things on facebook that I know those people probably didn't want me to see...and most likely vice versa. So be careful where you click!

I'm very careful about that (I open a lot of things in incognito mode, and if I have to enter a facebook account I use a fake one), but it's just like you said. For example, I remember a while ago it would only say if you posted from an iPhone or whatever, but now it even says if you're simply browsing from one.

Odo

Banned
Oh I know. I mean, if the other side isn't worth listening too, the hope would be them making a lot of noise wouldn't sway people anyway (See: Westboro Baptist Church). I think about some things it's actually good to have a closed mind about - like whether or not you could survive jumping off a high cliff. Maybe take a second to consider the possibility of your survival, and then quickly conclude it's not gonna happen. My example was just to further the point made by Capsaicin that it's not really being open minded if you only consider your own view, you actually have to be open to other things.

I feel like the point I really want to make is on the tip of my tongue but I don't know how to articulate it properly. It's sort of along the lines of the above paragraph.

I think in a lot of cases the whole left/right thing is more about choosing a 'side' and becomes more like rooting for your team than actually being objective about things.

But on the other hand, I find it amazing that people would get more upset over liberals being 'annoying' than hardcore racists advocating segregation or ranting about the inherent inferiority of other races, calling homosexuals evil and comparing them to people who practice bestiality, refusing to accept the separation of church and state, etc. It's pretty depressing that we haven't put a lot of that stuff behind us at this point and in fact seem to be moving backwards towards the dark ages... but it seems like it's more alive than ever, thanks to Youtube and the Internet.

I do think the tone of a lot of leftist arguments has shifted and it's mostly just putting off the moderates who might have been more inclined to agree if they hadn't been so shrill and condescending... but I'm not sure how they could be 'nicer about it' and still be heard.

I am extremely stressed out over an issue having to do with my last employer, and if anyone has any advice about this, please share...

I left the place without giving my two weeks notice back in September. I didn't go back for my last check, assuming they'd send it to me. A month or so went by and I still hadn't received anything, so I called the store I worked at and asked. The new manager there said there was no check and I was directed to Human Resources. Human Resources spoke to me and then directed me back to the store, and then there was this back and forth and no one ever called me back.

I called HR back and the woman I had been speaking with said she confirmed my last check was issued and sent to the store, and that it had not been cashed. She said she would stop payment on it and issue me a new one, but that the stopped payment would cost $30 and she had to take it out of my check. I said okay, even though it didn't seem right. The more I thought about it, the more wrong it seemed, and my entire family agreed. They lost the check and that had nothing to do with me, so I shouldn't have to pay the $30 to stop payment.

I told the woman I was unhappy about that and that it didn't seem right because it was my employer's fault in the first place and she said something about "Good Faith" and that they had to charge me the $30; I didn't understand it but I was nervous on the phone so I just said okay and accepted it.

When I told my mother she was furious and insisted that I fight it. She did some research online to see what the laws said and she seemed to find information that put me in the right and basically made what my employer did illegal, but it's all so confusing and overwhelming to me. I get it, it was wrong, I'm angry, but it's only $30 and it's causing me a lot of stress. I don't want to get screwed over by them and just lie down and take it, but what am I supposed to do, sue them? Anyone have any idea? This is all around Christmas too, and I just want to enjoy the holidays. Ugh. I wish I had just gone in to get my check in person. It's not my fault they're incompetent asses. They've been nothing but unprofessional and awful from the start.

dottie

@opa call them back. if the person gives you any run around- immediately ask for the supervisor. inform them that if you don't receive the full amount of the check within 30 days you are suing them for the full amount, plus the cost of lost wages for having to deal with this, plus the cost of lawyers fees. tell them in a low, assertive but calm voice that tells them you are not ****ing around. tell them a letter is on the way, too, so they have it in writing. log all dates and every name of every person you have dealt with, the time of day, everything.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I think in a lot of cases the whole left/right thing is more about choosing a 'side' and becomes more like rooting for your team than actually being objective about things.

But on the other hand, I find it amazing that people would get more upset over liberals being 'annoying' than hardcore racists advocating segregation or ranting about the inherent inferiority of other races, calling homosexuals evil and comparing them to people who practice bestiality, refusing to accept the separation of church and state, etc. It's pretty depressing that we haven't put a lot of that stuff behind us at this point and in fact seem to be moving backwards towards the dark ages... but it seems like it's more alive than ever, thanks to Youtube and the Internet.

Right, I mean a more accepting world with people's race or gender or religion or orientation influencing how they're treated or assumptions made about them is a world I'd like to see. To be the devil's advocate though, it's assumed some sort of line has to be drawn or that we accept all people. Vandalizing a pro-life display approved by a college campus to a liberal is no less intolerant than than protesting in front of an abortion clinic is to a pro-choice person. You also mentioned homosexuality being compared to bestiality, is the view then that there is a problem with bestiality? Even those lovely people at the Westboro Baptist Church would need to be given the time of day, or at least accept them as they are and aim to treat them no different than anyone else. I mean being tolerant of those groups may not be so difficult (If you try) but then you have rapist, murderers, and those others who directly harm others. A lot of times people will say "I'm ok with it as long as it doesn't hurt anyone" which of course these people don't include. THAT is a line we as a society probably must draw, but is a line regardless. Where that line is drawn differs from person to person, for better or worse.

I do think the tone of a lot of leftist arguments has shifted and it's mostly just putting off the moderates who might have been more inclined to agree if they hadn't been so shrill and condescending... but I'm not sure how they could be 'nicer about it' and still be heard.

That probably is a good explanation for the continuing polarization of the two sides. As we know most arguments aren't people trying to learn something new though, but rather make the other person agree with them. Honestly, I think the best way to change someone's mind is to try walk through their view With an open mind and poke the holes in it when they appear, as they should if the view is faulty. People with the opposite view just are thinking differently, you have to get in their head and understand where they are coming from I think. We may think of a racist and think "he or she is so stupid and doesn't know what he or she is talking about, every word about race is wrong and needs to be corrected to the correct view." I'm sure they're not thinking how stupid they are and waiting for someone to explain to them why, they have a justification for it. Understanding that justification and trying to break it down is to me what seems the clearest way to change a thinking pattern.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
"Good Faith"

I believe the idea with "Good Faith" is making the assumption the store did their very best to get the check to you, or keep it safe until you came to pick it up. While it may have been their fault and they carelessly just threw it away thinking you'd never show, or misplace it because they are unprofessional, Good Faith gives them the benefit of the doubt. It may be a company policy or right in your contract/handbook.

I'm not sure, you could try what dottie suggested too. If it was me I'd just want to be done with them though, and not have to deal with them any more than I already have too.

dottie

@opa btw is this DD? it is their fault. they probably didn't pay you a livable wage and now they want to gip you out of more money. scum.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I've considering if I should delete my facebook account. It's becoming more and more a stalking tool

At first I read this and thought "yeah! That's a big reason I don't want a facebook right now"

and I don't want to be stalked.

And then read this and thought "*shifty eyes* yes yes me too, that's what I meant, not that *I* was stalking people. *awkward weird laugh* *runs away*"

Ithior

At first I read this and thought "yeah! That's a big reason I don't want a facebook right now"

And then read this and thought "*shifty eyes* yes yes me too, that's what I meant, not that *I* was stalking people. *awkward weird laugh* *runs away*"

I can't deny I have used it to stalk a few people myself though...

I believe the idea with "Good Faith" is making the assumption the store did their very best to get the check to you, or keep it safe until you came to pick it up. While it may have been their fault and they carelessly just threw it away thinking you'd never show, or misplace it because they are unprofessional, Good Faith gives them the benefit of the doubt. It may be a company policy or right in your contract/handbook.

I'm not sure, you could try what dottie suggested too. If it was me I'd just want to be done with them though, and not have to deal with them any more than I already have too.

Yeah, that's what I figured... I don't really want to make it a huge thing and drag it out, especially around the holidays, but at the same time, it doesn't seem right and I feel like I'm just letting them take advantage of me.

@opa btw is this DD? it is their fault. they probably didn't pay you a livable wage and now they want to gip you out of more money. scum.

No, it's Yogurtland, actually. They're terrible. I hope they go under.