Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

Flanscho

I wonder what will happen if more and more people will publish their diaries and journals on this website.

Instead of having threads on the main page which have a meaning or subject that you can identify by that threads title, there'll be only threads shown on the main page that are about people who mutter to themselves about random subjects.

While I support such diaries or journals in general, I hope that their number will remain low in future, since otherwise the forum on a whole will suffer.

I wonder why people do not use websites that exist for that specific purpose, journals, and join there communities that are about SA, depression or similar subjects.

This reply doesn't target anyone in specific, I just want to express my worries.

I wonder what will happen if more and more people will publish their diaries and journals on this website.

Instead of having threads on the main page which have a meaning or subject that you can identify by that threads title, there'll be only threads shown on the main page that are about people who mutter to themselves about random subjects.

While I support such diaries or journals in general, I hope that their number will remain low in future, since otherwise the forum on a whole will suffer.

I wonder why people do not use websites that exist for that specific purpose, journals, and join there communities that are about SA, depression or similar subjects.

This reply doesn't target anyone in specific, I just want to express my worries.

While I understand what you're saying, I don't think people with journals on here are "muttering to themselves". Others comment on those threads all the time, and the other threads are still going strong. It's not like journals are taking over the site, and I don't think they ever will be.

Obviously, I am a little biased because I have a journal thread, but in trying to be as unbiased as possible, I can see what you're saying, although I think you're probably wrong.

I guess we'll find out.

Ithior

I think you should post that in your journal thread.

Flanscho

While I understand what you're saying, I don't think people with journals on here are "muttering to themselves".

I apologize if I put that into words that hurt you. Of course people react to some of the entries and discussions can occur, which is nice. But still, journals are still mostly a "I do it for myself but if people reply I'm happy" thing, in my opinion.

Odo

Banned
Maybe it's just me, but all I got from that comment is 'you journal people annoy me and I want you to know, but I want to be as nice as possible about it to avoid too much blowback'.

Who cares if people have journals? What manner of prestigious discourse could this possibly be detracting from?

Flanscho

Maybe it's just me, but all I got from that comment is 'you journal people annoy me and I want you to know, but I want to be as nice as possible about it to avoid too much blowback'.

Who cares if people have journals? What manner of prestigious discourse could this possibly be detracting from?

If you understood it that way, then you understood it the wrong way. The way you interpret my comment is as if you'd interpret me saying "I like the color blue" as "I want everyone who likes red to go and kill themselves because I hate red and I despise everyone who doesn't".

Let me rephrase for you what I said:
I think that in general those journals are fine. They surely help people in some way or another and sometimes interesting discussions can arise.

However, I also think that those journals are more heading in the direction of monologues than regular threads, for several reasons. One is that a regular thread has a title that tells you what it's about. Journals don't. If this forum would consist to a huge amount of threads which have titles that say nothing whatsoever about the threads contents, then that would hurt the forum, because it would be quite annoying to read. You couldn't just look at the summary of threads and say "oh, that topic is interesting", or "I made experiences and can relate to that, I'll join the discussion", because you have no idea what the thread is about.
Another thing is that journals are in general less dynamic. While a regular thread is more like someone holding out a hand and hoping for a discussion to arise, journals rather resemble someone talking to him-/herself, until someone stops by and posts an opinion, at which point a discussion might arise or not, after which that person just keeps talking to him-/herself.

As long as the number of journals/diaries is somewhat stable, I see no problem with them. If the number would be on a steady rise though, the forum would suffer.

This is my opinion, which I shared here. If you consider it as a personal attack on yourself, then... well, I guess I could hand you a million $ and you'd consider it as a personal attack. Or offer you a hug and you'd consider that an insult. :idontknow:

Odo

Banned
It sounds like your real issue is with the layout.

You're not annoyed with the journals as much as the fact that it's hard to sort through the threads because as is journals are mixed in with the threads from the more popular forums on the home page. And because people keep updating them, they keep popping up over and over.

Maybe you could suggest to Remus that there should be a separate forum for journals that doesn't pop up on the main page... or make the home page customizable.

The idea of some sort of journal quota for the whole site doesn't seem very friendly to me.

MikeyC

I think you should post that in your journal thread.
My head is about to explode at this paradox!

Perhaps it's the appeal of already having a (potential) audience of familiar people.
That's true. A Tumblr or Facebook post wouldn't have like-minded people to reply.

Another thing is that journals are in general less dynamic. While a regular thread is more like someone holding out a hand and hoping for a discussion to arise, journals rather resemble someone talking to him-/herself, until someone stops by and posts an opinion, at which point a discussion might arise or not, after which that person just keeps talking to him-/herself.
True, but I find journals to be used as an outlet for the author - a place to air their worries or something they want to share without cluttering this very thread with daily errands. It's good to get something out that may be bothering you, or something that you figure might start a good conversation.

GraybeardGhost

While I understand what you're saying, I don't think people with journals on here are "muttering to themselves". Others comment on those threads all the time, and the other threads are still going strong. It's not like journals are taking over the site, and I don't think they ever will be.

Obviously, I am a little biased because I have a journal thread, but in trying to be as unbiased as possible, I can see what you're saying, although I think you're probably wrong.

I guess we'll find out.

Thank you for this, Opaline. I had a similar response in mind, but mine would not have been nearly as polite.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I swear I care about my friends and family in my own way, but I can't help feeling STUCK on the phone everytime I answer when they call me to talk about everything and nothing, and annoyed when they want to see me

I don't really know how to change that and sometimes I wonder if I'm fooling myself and actually don't give a **** about anyone

Silatuyok

I swear I care about my friends and family in my own way, but I can't help feeling STUCK on the phone everytime I answer when they call me to talk about everything and nothing, and annoyed when they want to see me

I don't really know how to change that and sometimes I wonder if I'm fooling myself and actually don't give a **** about anyone

Don't feel bad; I'm the exact same way. But it's still important to reach out and connect with them in your own way. I've started to regret how standoffish I have become with my loved ones. Eventually, they might just drift away..