SA vs AS

Jordan

Hi Panacea,

thank you again for your advice. You have all my respect for having married a man with AS and accepting him for what he is (lucky guy).

I've made a little journey in the desert and found the Oasis at:
http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/

I like Frith's "dash of autism" expression, behind which there is surely a complex reality. Each case is different. The presentation given by Kirby is fine, I only regret the "normal IQ" stuff, but I think that it really meant "normal or higher IQ".

As to DMS IV diagnostic criteria listed there, here is what I found for what I'm concerned.

My behaviour as a kid matches _all_ four criteria of group A and two over four of the group B. All from C to F hold true (except possibly F, but I am farther from HF autism and the violet serpents that live here all admit that I've not got schizofrenia. So, as for other cases where I checked diagnostic criteria, my childhood belongs there.

As an adult, I've partly, and slowly, deviated from these. As you remarked it must have been a way to cope with my natural flaws. This happened in particular where I was compelled to do it. So for instance,my tendence to abnormal patterns of interest was already noticed (and blamed) since I can remember. But that didn't change. It was even useful in some cases, as occasionally I'm so obsessed by a work to complete to never feel weary. In others, I do the same with completely useless stuff like finishing a game.

This said, if you actually don't want that I have AS, I find it only cureous not insist any more and close the argument

Another remark, that might be useful to somebody here. The average adult does not see me as shy or eccentric. Yet youngsters and immature people seem to be more perceptive. Dealing with them at an adult level, which is the sole level I know, is harder. And like animals that are more sensitive to natural catastrophes, they must guess that there something wrong with me.

Cheers,
Jordan