Self conscious => not self conscious

SickJoke

I think a lot of people on this site are coming to the same conclusion and wording it differently:

3rd person => 1st person
inside head => talkative state
internal focus => external focus
manual => autopilot
state B => state A

Previous threads on this topic:

NewPoster111 on defeating the 3rd person perspective: http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/the-cure-for-social-anxiety-16609/

SickJoke on getting into a talkative state: http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/getting-into-a-talkative-state-17434/

simplejack on states A and B: http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/my-way-to-fix-social-phobia-17615/#post158790

I think it's all saying the same thing:

self conscious => not self conscious

What word/phrase can we use besides "not self conscious"? Words like "competent" and "aware" come to my mind; maybe someone else can think of a better term.

Let's share some ways to get into this state of being "not self conscious"

Some of mine that I mentioned in my thread:

-Listen to upbeat music. Music engages the same parts of our brain that language/communication does.
-Sing. This focuses your thoughts on your voice and rhythm.
-Dance. A lot of guys might have a problem with this one, even in the privacy of their own homes but it works. After dancing you'll feel less inhibited.
-Exercise. In a way, it unplugs your brain temporarily as you focus on the exercise. It also releases endorphins.
-Laugh. Watch something funny and laugh really hard. Works in a similar way as exercise.

And most importantly:

-Talk to someone. Gradually you will shift into a talkative state. If you were way deep inside your head before you started talking, then it's going to be a rough conversation, until you transition into a talkative state. You might even get rejected immediately - the only solution is to recover and start talking to someone else. It's the same way for everyone. The only difference is that, outgoing people have more experience, so their transition is easier.

So what are some tips, techniques, and strategies that help you get to this state of being "not self conscious"?

And please don't mention alcohol or any other drugs: they are addictive, counter-productive crutches.

Last edited:

Havocan

Besides all this, body language is important, it seems. Like focusing on the person you are talking too, not looking away, not acting like you're busy with something but tell them, non-verbally, that you're spending time on them. I've come a long way further into being more self-conscious by focusing on this rather than singing/dancing, it's definitely not meant for me^^.

SickJoke

Besides all this, body language is important, it seems. Like focusing on the person you are talking too, not looking away, not acting like you're busy with something but tell them, non-verbally, that you're spending time on them.

Yeah good stuff.

powerfulthoughts

SickJoke said:
You might even get rejected immediately - the only solution is to recover and start talking to someone else. It's the same way for everyone. The only difference is that, outgoing people have more experience, so their transition is easier.

Right, experience seems to be the key factor here. Those who do well socially are those who have been "rewarded" for their social efforts, whereas those with social anxiety have been "punished" when they have tried to socialize. So yeah, the difference is that those with a huge reservoir of good social experiences know they have nothing to fear, because they have a deeply incorporated sense of positivity when they do socialize.

Thus, the importance of getting children to be rewarded early on in life for socializing is crystal clear.

Last edited: