The 50 pushup challenge.

JamesSmith

Whoops, my mistake, I meant outside. Anyways, yeah, I have one weight that I still use from walmart, once I have the cash I'm getting one of those bars that you can attach multiple weights to, it'll probably save me money in the long run.

Oh okay. Sounds like you got that under control.

Someone said push-ups don't do what free-weights do? Well, if they don't, i don't know if there is that much a difference. Have you seen that guy on the Perfect Push-Up commercial? That guy was extremely ripped from doing push-ups.

DanFC

I think I've seen that commercial, but I don't really know how "real" it is, or how much of that body one can really attribute to that exercise, you know?

Oh, my God. I did 4, and my arms hurt. I don't think any of them would have qualified, because I can't hold my back straight, and if I go all the way down, I can't push myself back up. ::(:

But if I cheat, I can do 4. ::p:

WeirdyMcGee

If you have a hard time doing a full push up-- try one on your knees!
0812-wm-knee-push-up.jpg

I've been doing some exercises to help tone my shoulders for a couple of months, which I think have been helping me to build muscle in my arms and make doing push ups easier than before.
I've been sick for the past couple of days but I'm doing as much as I can for now without pushing myself too hard and pulling anything.
So far, I'm at 2 over my original number-- so I'm 2 pushups closer to my goal XD
yay!

Keep up the good work everyone-- and stick with it!

JamesSmith

I'm not sure if I cheated or not. What I did was I did 40 push-ups with correct push-up form, then I stuck my butt way in the air and rested like that for about 5 seconds, then brought my butt back down and did 10 more push-ups in correct form to complete the 50 push-ups. Either way, I'm very proud of myself. But did I cheat? I did all the push-ups in correct form and never touched the ground illegally. It's that 5 second butt-raise that I'm wondering about.

If you have a hard time doing a full push up-- try one on your knees!
0812-wm-knee-push-up.jpg

I've been doing some exercises to help tone my shoulders for a couple of months, which I think have been helping me to build muscle in my arms and make doing push ups easier than before.
I've been sick for the past couple of days but I'm doing as much as I can for now without pushing myself too hard and pulling anything.
So far, I'm at 2 over my original number-- so I'm 2 pushups closer to my goal XD
yay!

Keep up the good work everyone-- and stick with it!

Yay! I did 12 on my knees. :)

I don't think I have much hope of working up to 50, though. Not in 30 days!

WeirdyMcGee

50 is alot for the average person- but I don't think this challenge is really meant to be the same for everyone-- it's about pushing your own boundaries.
If you can only do 3 push ups but you were to try again and again for a month-- chances are, that number will greatly improve.

So, challenge your body and do whatever you can manage without hurting yourself~ and if you try, you win!

**cheese**

Thanks, WeirdyMcGee. A few years ago, I couldn't do any, so I'm doing better than before.

I just tried again, and did 13, on my knees of course. I don't think I can do any real ones. But that's one more than before. Yippeeeee!!! :)

(PS- my arms are really sore. I think I should stop for today. ::eek::)

inconspicuous name

Oh okay. Sounds like you got that under control.

Someone said push-ups don't do what free-weights do? Well, if they don't, i don't know if there is that much a difference. Have you seen that guy on the Perfect Push-Up commercial? That guy was extremely ripped from doing push-ups.

push ups do NOT do what free weights do, not even slightly in comparison.

after being able to do about 30 consecutive push ups you're hardly gaining any strength at all, it's mostly muscular endurance from that point on. if you just want to stay 'healthy' i suppose bodyweight exercises are all you really need, if you want to get stronger/bigger/look better then free weights (and certain machines ect) are pretty essential.

any guy you see on any fitness related commercial will have used weights for many many years, and probably steroids (a lot more common in all fitness related advertising that you'd think)

Aussie_Lad

My arms are still sore from yesterday. I can do 2 real push-ups. ::(:

Don't be too upset about that, you've gotta start somewhere. I actually have a fair bit of muscle on my arms, and can lift more than a lot of people that I work with, yet could do less than 10 just a few days ago (I am up to 15 now). Try and set yourself a reasonable goal, and work toward it trying to do at least one more pushup per day. If you find you cannot meet the next days goal of one more pushup then try again the next day. Keep doing this regularly and you will be doing plenty of pushups in no time.

Luke1993

My arms are still sore from yesterday. I can do 2 real push-ups. ::(:

That's fine I couldn't do any at first, I actually had to start doing push ups (or press ups as they're known here) against a wall. Then after I got strong enough to do twenty of those I moved onto knee push ups. Then when I did twenty of those I could do normal ones.

I now do them in 3 sets because apparently that's the best way to gain. On friday I could do 12 12 10, which is a slight improvement on my last, 11 11 11! In one sitting I'm not sure how many I could do, maximum 15 I'll say!

When I'm able to do 50 I'll be sure to post a video of me doing them! You might have to wait a while though! haha

Everyone else should post videos of themselves doing them too, once you reach 50. And if you can already do 50 post a vid right now! We have a lot of strong social phobics here! :D