The 50 pushup challenge.

JamesSmith

Yeah baby! Just did 50 with no pauses. It was insane when I got to 45, all mental from there. My arms were shaking like crazy.

JamesSmith

push ups do NOT do what free weights do, not even slightly in comparison.

Yes they do. I know from personal experience. I used to be terrible at bench press in the weight room, and after doing nothing but push-ups for training, i bench pressed way more than I ever have with ease. Push-ups may not do exactly what free-weights do, but they sure get close.

inconspicuous name

Yes they do. I know from personal experience. I used to be terrible at bench press in the weight room, and after doing nothing but push-ups for training, i bench pressed way more than I ever have with ease. Push-ups may not do exactly what free-weights do, but they sure get close.

i never said push ups don't benefit you in any way, simply that they do not compare to free weights. you will eventually hit a limit of gains from doing purely bodyweight exercises, to get stronger you have to continually increase the workload (this means weight/repetitons/speed of repeitions) increasing the number of repetitons increases strength only to a slight amount (anything after about 12 reps is going to be pretty much all muscular endurance), increasing the weight is what really makes you stronger hence the need use free weights.

now using yourself as an example of gaining strength from push ups is fine, and though i don't know your personal circumstances i would presume (and by all means correct me if i'm wrong) that you maybe haven't trained with bodyweight exercises for very long/a very regular basis (having a long break from doing bodyweight exercises then going back to them will once again increase your potential gains) allowing you to get a benefit from them.

i have a lil bit of an exercise obsession ::p:

JamesSmith

i never said push ups don't benefit you in any way, simply that they do not compare to free weights. you will eventually hit a limit of gains from doing purely bodyweight exercises, to get stronger you have to continually increase the workload (this means weight/repetitons/speed of repeitions) increasing the number of repetitons increases strength only to a slight amount (anything after about 12 reps is going to be pretty much all muscular endurance), increasing the weight is what really makes you stronger hence the need use free weights.

now using yourself as an example of gaining strength from push ups is fine, and though i don't know your personal circumstances i would presume (and by all means correct me if i'm wrong) that you maybe haven't trained with bodyweight exercises for very long/a very regular basis (having a long break from doing bodyweight exercises then going back to them will once again increase your potential gains) allowing you to get a benefit from them.

i have a lil bit of an exercise obsession ::p:

"Now you are speaking my language."-Rush Hour 2 or 3?

Seriously, I agreed with everything you said here. I just underestimated your thoughts on push-ups in the previous post, but you cleared it up.

StandingJelly

I'll accept the 100 push up challenge. I've done more than that before, mostly because I'm a light weighted person hahas. But I have lots of stamina I assure you! :D

But kinda seems just wasting energy now that I've read above posts, compared to adding more weights.

DanFC

Yeah, I finally broke 100 without having to sacrifice any sets!

Now I do 3 sets total with 60, 80, and 100. Maybe someday I can just do continuous sets of 100 ^_^

DanFC

wow! thats awesome Dan. Why do the number of reps go up? For each successive set, mine go down. My energy is sapped after the first set. :s

I can't seem to go above 36 today and I've only got 2 days left :/

Pssh, the month thing is just so lazy people like me are forced to set a goal XD Keep working at it ^_^ If you are doing it every day sometimes it's a good idea to take a day or two off, especially if you feel you are continually pushing your limit each day and you feel you've reached a ceiling.

Mine go up because I'm purposely not expending all of my energy with the first sets, they are more warm-ups to see if I can go all the way. So before that day, went I got to 80 on my second set I would be like "there's no way I can do more than that in the next set", but that day, I felt like I could.

Dayvan

I like this challenge. I thought I could do more but only lasted until 20 when my arms gave out and the blood rushed to my head, lol.

I've being using push up android app for my phone. It's quite good.

Even after a couple weeks of doing the program, I can't seem to do more than 50 pushups at one go without my arms giving way.

Allthough I'm doing some decent sets atm. For instance, today I did 10 sets of 17 pushups each with 60 seconds down time between each set. So that's about 170 pushups over 10 minutes. I'm doing a little bit more each day :)

Oh yeah and good advice is to take a break each day. I know it can be fun doing this every day, but your arms and chest will get sore and you need downtime for muscle regrowth, so if you got sore arms and chest, maybe take a day or two off before jumping into it again.

leave_me_alone

Ohhh, couple of months back when i was excersising, i couldnt make more than 20 at one go. I am like 200 lbs tho ( and 5'11"). Then i stopped, dont know why.

Last edited: