Valerian Root/ Melatonin

lithium

I've seen valerian root capsules in the store, and it states to relax and reduce anxiety. Has anyone had any experience with Valerian Root, and if so, does it help??

In addition, I have recently purchased some Melatonin capsules, in order to help me sleep. I have trouble falling asleep; not much trouble staying asleep, (once I'm asleep, I don't usually wake up til the morning), anyways, how does it work for anyone?? I used to use diphenhydramine, but it hardly helps and usually just makes me uncomfortable and I end up tossing and turning excessively for hours on end. I do not want to turn to prescription sleep meds.
So I will give melatonin a try. :)

Noca

Banned
Valerian root SMELLS like sh*t. I much prefer Melatonin for sleep as it works and doesnt smell at all. 12mgs of Melatonin a night does the trick.

danstelter

Melatonin, in general, helps people to ween off of benzodiazepines, or to stay asleep after falling asleep. It might work differently in you, as no single natural supplement or medication or whatever substance has the same effects in each and every person. For me, it actually made my sleep a heck of a lot worse, so I got off it pretty quickly. If you'd like to read more about how melatonin can affect people, read this article by my friend who wrote about it during pharmacy school:

The Anxiety Support Network - Melatonin: An Overview

Hope this helps and let me know what effect melatonin has in your life!

DillJenkins

Melatonin is the beez-neez man. It really helps me get to sleep. I too sometimes use the benedryl as a sleep aid and sometimes I mix the two and it makes me pass out.

I take 6mg Melatonin when I need it and it makes me real tired about 2 hours later.

Melatonin is really good powerful stuff. You need a prescription to get it in many countries. Fortunately USA is not one of those countries.

social_phobia2008

Melatonin is the hormon brain releases to get you to fall asleep. So theoreticly it should help you fall sleep.

I say theoreticly cause i tried it and it had no effect on me. Tried different dosage and nothing. But i see it works for some guys here.

I still use quetiapine or generic name seroquel to get to sleep, 100-200 mg works everytime for me, for the last 3 years.

I have Dormiplant which has Valerian in composition and it helped me when I had really bad days... It calms me a little. And it has no smell. But I don't use it frequently, because I don't need it everyday and I don't want to get addicted to pills. I take a pill when I really really need it.

Jake123

Banned
Melatonin actually makes me feel worse somehow. I hear it's contraindicated in people with depression...

emmasma

I started taking melatonin after reading this thread a week ago and I love it! I have tried the over the counter sleep aids and they do nothing for me.

I take one 3mg tablet before bedtime and am sleeping great! I have been having really nice vivid dreams too, and I don't forget them right away like normal dreams. Maybe it is my immagiination but I seem to have more happy time in the day as well, or maybe it is because I am sleeping more!

Unfortunately I cant take it to far before bedtime because I read with my daughter before we go to sleep. I did on the first night and I keept nodding off through her story.

Last edited:

FOR REAL

Banned
ive tried valerian with no results
just ordered melatonin from the US
i dont want it for sleeping, i just want it to relax me, instead of using benzos
worth a try i suppose

Noca

Banned
I started taking melatonin after reading this thread a week ago and I love it! I have tried the over the counter sleep aids and they do nothing for me.

I take one 3mg tablet before bedtime and am sleeping great! I have been having really nice vivid dreams too, and I don't forget them right away like normal dreams. Maybe it is my immagiination but I seem to have more happy time in the day as well, or maybe it is because I am sleeping more!

Unfortunately I cant take it to far before bedtime because I read with my daughter before we go to sleep. I did on the first night and I keept nodding off through her story.

Vivid dreams are the result of most every psychiatric drug.

Noca

Banned
pmsl :D
it sais 3mg at night on my tubs!:confused:

I need 12mgs because ive been using sleep aids since 2005 and have grown a significant tolerance to most of them. Only Temazepam, Clonazepam, and Melatonin work for me anymore.

FOR REAL

Banned
I need 12mgs because ive been using sleep aids since 2005 and have grown a significant tolerance to most of them. Only Temazepam, Clonazepam, and Melatonin work for me anymore.

oh ok noca, i know what you mean mate. im the same with nitrazepam (i would need a whole ****in box of the things)

powerfulthoughts

I've tried valerian root in different dosages and it never does anything for me. Nothing at all. I even tried to OD on it once, and still nothing lol. What seems to help me is fish oil at a relatively high dose, prolly 1,500 - 2,000mg 3 times a day. Also taking a garlic supplement seems to have helped me as well.

Lea

Banned
I have a bit experience with Valerian but don't take it anymore because it did nothing, only made me sleepy and tired during the day.

caissa825

I can tell you to be very careful-- I used melatonin, having been told by multiple people that it was harmless-- I ended up feeling STONED OUT OF MY MIND for THREE DAYS! All from one dose! I could barely walk straight, it felt like the floor was shifting beneath me. I can't believe people even give this stuff to their kids-- I will never touch it again.

I also tried Valerian to help me sleep-- it kept me awake AND made me feel stoned! Thankfully that effect wore off within a day but never will I touch that stuff again.

I did some research online and apparently my melatonin reaction is not unheard of-- it does effect certain people that way. Also remember none of this stuff is regulated so whatever potency the box claims the capsules are-- it could be MUCH higher or lower.

Just be careful and don't use it before you need to drive or function, just in case!

FOR REAL

Banned
Also remember none of this stuff is regulated so whatever potency the box claims the capsules are-- it could be MUCH higher or lower

i completely agree, just cause its a herb, doesnt mean its harmless and as caissa825 sais "NONE OF THIS STUFF IS REGULATED"