We're awfully chatty for the Socially Phobic

Waybuloo

I'm slightly amused by how much all of us in this community are actually very talkative. I'm a member of a few other forums, but this one makes the others look dead. When I click on a recent topic and find that there are 43 pages of responses to it... that seems pretty amazing.

My guess is that this is partially because many of us are starved for human interaction, and for many more of us find it easier to talk to people who can relate to us... the impersonal nature of electronic communication also gives a feeling of security.

I can leave this forum whenever I want, or come back when I feel like it. I'm not obligated or put on the spot to reply to anyone else on the forum. I can just make my post and pretend that maybe it means something to someone else here. I also like reading other people's posts, even though most of the time I don't say a word. Seeing that there are other people who go through a lot of the same things I think and feel helps me to feel better.

If anyone would like to comment, just to let me know you're reading, maybe share some way that you relate or why all of you seem to like posting so much... I guess that's what this (my first thread) is about. :)

I just like to put my 2 cents in where I have an opinion that I want to share. As for feeling connected, well not really, I don't think I really connect here, people seem to be drawn to others and not me, I won't take it personal though, I guess it just proves what I think of myself - unlikeable. Anyways that's my 2 cents again :)

I think one of the reasons why this forum seems so active is due to the dynamic recent post list on the main page, it sorta makes you want to check back on it all the time you know.

As much as this forum can help you (if you let it), it can't replace real human interactions, which daunting and destructive it can sometimes be, is the 'natural' way that we all secretly strive for, no?

scarednotshy

That really is the art of small talk.

one of my biggest problems is that i HATE small talk......it is annoying, stressful and completely boring. yes, it is supposed to be the way that people end up being friends, maybe that's why i have so few.

i really truly only have anything to say when it is a subject that holds my interest.

panicsurvivor

I don't have SA. My problems are different, so I have lots of friends in the real world. But in a small way, I think that I care for the people on here just a little more than my real friends because none them know what it is like to feel so lost and hopeless. In a lot of ways the strangers on here know me better than my real friends. So yeah I like to chat and help if I can. Plus some people on here are pretty funny.:D

scarednotshy

I don't have SA. My problems are different, so I have lots of friends in the real world. But in a small way, I think that I care for the people on here just a little more than my real friends because none them know what it is like to feel so lost and hopeless. In a lot of ways the strangers on here know me better than my real friends. So yeah I like to chat and help if I can. Plus some people on here are pretty funny.:D

i find people on here really funny as well! and very talented and unique.

as for not having SA doesn't mean you don't have a reason to be here. obviously you do. you have some sort of social anxiety to some degree, even if it's to a far lesser degree than most here. if you feel far more at home here than you do in the "real" world, then you probably have a bit of anxiety socially, though not nearly what most here suffer.

and if you disagree and maintain that you have "no" social anxiety and yet still are comfortable here, then i say you are just an amazing person who is at home with everyone.......would that the whole world would feel this way!!!

i often feel that people with sa/sp are unique and brilliant people. maybe you are someone who doesn't suffer from it but can see something special......????

philly2bits

It's an illusion that many here are chatty. The "chatty" people are the ones most noticed and remembered, which gives the impression that the site if full of chatty people. The majority of posters only seem to read and rarely post anything at all.

*another pointless post brought to you by philly2bits* :D

coyote

^likes generic/store-brand chocolate sandwich cookies more than Oreos

oops, wrong thread

Last edited:

panicsurvivor

i find people on here really funny as well! and very talented and unique.

as for not having SA doesn't mean you don't have a reason to be here. obviously you do. you have some sort of social anxiety to some degree, even if it's to a far lesser degree than most here. if you feel far more at home here than you do in the "real" world, then you probably have a bit of anxiety socially, though not nearly what most here suffer.

and if you disagree and maintain that you have "no" social anxiety and yet still are comfortable here, then i say you are just an amazing person who is at home with everyone.......would that the whole world would feel this way!!!

i often feel that people with sa/sp are unique and brilliant people. maybe you are someone who doesn't suffer from it but can see something special......????

Sadly. I am not an amazing person. I have agoraphobia, and a panic disorder that is so bad that I actually have panic attacks every day. LOL. I actually have an easier time in public. As I said before I don't have SA but I have different problems, which more than qualifies me to be in this forum.:D

scarednotshy

Sadly. I am not an amazing person. I have agoraphobia, and a panic disorder that is so bad that I actually have panic attacks every day. LOL. I actually have an easier time in public. As I said before I don't have SA but I have different problems, which more than qualifies me to be in this forum.:D

as i said, you have a REASON to be here.

i struggle with agoraphobia as well but i think mine is tied in with the social b/cause i've asked myself "if i were the only person on earth would i still be afraid to go out of my home?" and the honest answer was "NO".....so my feelings of agoraphobia are tied in with SP.

anyway, not saying this is your situation. just talking, as usual.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
some of us may post often but really not say much of anything

I was really excited to quote this but everyone else already did so and took all the meaningful and clever responses so . . . I agree?

mmm. i'm not a chatty one. i have a difficult time expressing myself in any medium, anywhere. sometimes i feel pretty darn hollow, never knowing what to say or having anything to add. :/

i'm not so bad one-on-one. i feel self-conscious about throwing my thoughts/opinions out there for all to see. even HERE. kinda sad. :p

Seemed to express yourself here just fine.

Tiercel

There's quite a difference between letting my fingers fly and having to look someone in the face and speak to him/her.

Here, I look up and see words on a screen. Out there I look up and see a person and wonder what sort of impression I'm making, if I've already made an ass of myself or if I can still avoid it, whether my speaking to this person is wanted or even warranted, etc.

I already feel like I've made an ass of myself here at least once, so I'm much more comfortable typing to people who probably really exist. :D