We're awfully chatty for the Socially Phobic

MaliceInWickedland

I agree with Tiercel. There is a considerable difference between looking someone in the eyes while speaking to them and facing a computer screen while typing a message to someone over the internet.

When I'm speaking to someone face-to-face, I feel intimidated and insecure. Intimidated because the eyes "are the window to the soul" and when I'm looking into someone's eyes I feel as if they can see right through me and the thought of that makes me uncomfortable. On top of it, people tend to make assumptions just by observing your body language, tone, ability to maintain eye contact, stuff like that, and that makes me feel insecure about my overall image to people.

I feel a lot more comfortable opening up over the internet because no one is directly looking at me or speaking to me so I don't have to worry about stuttering, blushing, twitching, or any other anxiety-related reactions. If I make a mistake in my words, I can just simply press the backspace button and fix whatever I have to.

It's even more comfortable opening up on this site knowing that no one will really judge my thoughts or feelings since we all have social phobia to some extent and we can all pretty much understand where we're all coming from.

Last edited:

coyote

plus, you can sit here in your underwear, scratching your butt and picking your nose, and still come off as witty and urbane

I agree with Tiercel. There is a considerable difference between looking someone in the eyes while speaking to them and facing a computer screen while typing a message to someone over the internet.

When I'm speaking to someone face-to-face, I feel intimidated and insecure. Intimidated because the eyes "are the window to the soul" and when I'm looking into someone's eyes I feel as if they can see right through me and the thought of that makes me uncomfortable. On top of it, people tend to make assumptions just by observing your body language, tone, ability to maintain eye contact, stuff like that, and that makes me feel insecure about my overall image to people.

I feel a lot more comfortable opening up over the internet because no one is directly looking at me or speaking to me so I don't have to worry about stuttering, blushing, twitching, or any other anxiety-related reactions. If I make a mistake in my words, I can just simply press the backspace button and fix whatever I have to.

It's even more comfortable opening up on this site knowing that no one will really judge my thoughts or feelings since we all have social phobia to some extent and we can all pretty much understand where we're all coming from.

Nice :). Could not have said it better myself.

Besides, I have years and years of "forum experience", so I'm quite comfortable with being myself or just plain silly online.

Silentknight

I think what I've learned the MOST from being on this site for awhile and reading the threads here and seeing how caring, respectful, and intelligent the people are here
Is that if only all of us with social phobia could have it dissapear tomorrow we truly could make this world a much better place. No doubt

panicsurvivor

I think what I've learned the MOST from being on this site for awhile and reading the threads here and seeing how caring, respectful, and intelligent the people are here
Is that if only all of us with social phobia could have it dissapear tomorrow we truly could make this world a much better place. No doubt

This couldn't be more true. People with problems like this are always thoughtful and usually intelligent. I've said before the best councilers and therapists are always people who have had there own demons and got through them. I think a lot of the younger people on this forum are destined for great things when they get through what the are going through.

scarednotshy

This couldn't be more true. People with problems like this are always thoughtful and usually intelligent. I've said before the best councilers and therapists are always people who have had there own demons and got through them. I think a lot of the younger people on this forum are destined for great things when they get through what the are going through.

i agree! hopefully the younger people can find the help and overcome this and not suffer so much of their lives. they will have so much to give. i said on another post that as we "evolve" as people that those such as us just might be recognized for something special......as i believe we are.

scarednotshy

i agree! hopefully the younger people can find the help and overcome this and not suffer so much of their lives. they will have so much to give. i said on another post that as we "evolve" as people that those such as us just might be recognized for something special......as i believe we are.

I mean seen as special but FREE from all the terrible anxiety and the suffering that goes with it.

EscapeArtist

I think it's hilarious. Imagine all the forums on the internet, and then the Social Anxiety forum, where everybody is too afraid to leave their houses! Or computers. Too Ironic.

Hahaha maybe it's because we don't express ourselves enough in person in our everyday lives, and we're shy and quiet to the point of saying very little some days... so sometimes we just need a place to get all those words out! :D Fulfil the daily quota if you will. lol

I agree with what was mentioned earlier on. That some of us are just so starved for human interaction in our real lives, that this is somewhere we can safely make up for what is lacking in our real life.:)