What are you're obsessions ?

·Handwashing
·Touching my hair
·Scales
·Rewashing my body over and over again in the shower
·Health
·Applying makeup

.. What are yours?

Hope I'm not making anyone feel uncomfortable, just curious : o )
Thank's guy's ! ..

Hailey*

racheH

The first one I remember is that any pressure I felt had to be symmetrical over my body, so if my hand touched something, I'd have to touch something (the same thing, preferably) with my other hand. Both sides had to feel the same, including my back, so sitting down was tricky; I'd have to keep moving around until the pressure felt the same all over it. The number of times and order in which I touched something mattered too. A touch with one hand demanded a touch with the other, but then the fact that I'd gone from left to right wasn't right either. I had to go from right to left in the same way to balance out the numbers. That also didn't work, because those four actions had to be repeated in reverse: right-left, then left-right. This would continue until I lost count.

I gave that up at about age eight, and instead began to hide my skin form the sun at all costs, with clothing over my head in the car and standing in any shade available, however inconvenient.

My general health-consciousness was unhealthy for a while, ironically.

I'm not sure whether this would be more phobic than obsessive-compulsive, but I try not to sit in front of people while they're eating, because I can't bear the idea of them spitting at me. I avoid looking at drinks because people don't wipe off the marks their mouths make on them as I always do. I'm very, very easily disgusted by certain things, yet I'm not squeamish about blood and actually like the smell of fertilisers. :?

jeff123

I can't stop writing lists! And not regular lists, absolutely bloody perfect lists. If I mispell a word, I screw up the peage and start again.

Others include applying deodorant, biting my nails, counting money, always double checking to make sure I have done things that I know I've done.

Slipshade

Acne! I scrub my face for hours on end, which ironically ends up irritating my skin and making things worse. o_O

And doorknobs. Gotta do the old 'pull my long sleeves over my hand' maneuver before I touch them. Water fountain buttons and handlebars are the same way.

And I can't seem to stop doing things in multiples of four. It's like I can't progress to the next thought or action unless I've counted to four first. Usually four times. I have to add a 1 to the last four count in order to stop the cycle. So I end up counting to 17 a lot. My brain feels like a skipping record unless I can finish.

And the usual double-checking. How many of you read over e-mails a thousand times before you send them? How many times did you read your forum post over before you clicked 'submit'? :)

And things have to be even. I have a carton of ice cream in my fridge with the top layer scooped completely level. Then my roommate, bless his soul, comes in and gouges holes in it when he has some. Then I have to eat more ice cream to make it level again. Not the most unpleasant of tasks, mind you. But I've gotta watch my girlish figure.

I think the craziest thing about this disorder is how sane you are at the same time. You're completely aware of how irrational all of this is, lucidly, maddeningly aware, but you can't seem to fix it, no matter what mental gauntlet you run yourself through. It's interesting hearing about everyone's obsessions, though; how they got them, how they manifest. A lot of them are general, so you don't feel as alone, or as strange. And a lot of them are specific to the person, which gives you some interesting insight into the individual. There's a lot to relate to by examining each others' behaviors, and a lot to be gained, I think, by being able to step back and look at your own fixations from an objective point of view.

boodizm

I don't have ocd but when I was younger I used to always have things clean and tidy and got mad when people messed things up, but that compulsion was easy to get over :)
These days I can't start anything until I have whatever I'm working on finished. I have to get that feeling of something being completed before I can start the next, which makes studying multiple subjects for example quite hard to manage.

black_mamba

worrydoll said:
wow. i dont have those obsessions anymore. i got an allotment (a rental vegetable growing patch) in the woods and ive been growing veggies..

How much does it cost to rent (roughly) and are the veggies yummy? :)

LittleMissScareAll

I check things(EVERYTHING)...over & over and over and over...I check to make sure the computer is unplugged/turned off before bed or before going anywhere. I make sure the tv is unplugged before going anywhere. I check to make sure the water isn't running(I've loosened up the handles before on accident, in doing this :oops: ), I make sure the hair straightener isn't plugged in, I make sure the doors are locked, etc...... I also wash my hands quite often.

Slipshade said:
Acne! I scrub my face for hours on end, which ironically ends up irritating my skin and making things worse.

Understand Completely!!! If you ever find the faintest hint (or possibly lack of) of a blackhead, do you attack it until you are left with a scar or scrape on your face? I do this almost every day....It makes my skin so much worse, yet I can't stop doing it.

shipost

I am getting this bad habit of checking plates, cups or anything I eat off. I will somtimes spend 20mins checking for any bit of dirt on the plate or spoon then I will put it back and find a cleaner one.... thats got to be my worst :lol:

the other I have is pulling hair out when I am talking to people.

Don1985

I had the obsession of all my actions having to be even for a few years. If i touch something with my left hand i then have to touch with my right etc...and the number four was very important as it's even...But pretty much lost that now. At the moment i have a few obsessions...i can't stand flys, moths, wasps or any insect gettin into the house so i'm constantly making sure all the windows in the house are only open a small amount. When it's very hot it's a nightmare and have to keep closing the windows after someone else keeps opening them! Another thing is i keep rinsing out cups or glasses LOTS of times with cold water before i use them, even though they are clean out the cupboard or dishwasher....not sure why as i know and see that they are clean!?

ShinodaDude

I often feel a weird feeling in my eyes, fingers and toes, when it happend I have do a specific movement with them, it's kinda hard to explain, but lets just say I look retarded... lol

I work on a cash register at work, and I often have to press the 0 button X times when entering prices and stuff... because of that I have to restart from scratch once I feel that i've done it enouth... it's annoying.

Whenever a negative thought just pops in my head, I have to read a book at a certain speed (Harry Potter books to be presise) for at least an hour for it to go away.... this is very time consuming sadly :(

riverbelow

mine is writing, if im writing a word or a series of numbers and one of the letters or numbers doesnt look like it fits with the others i will erase it and write it back as many times as it takes for it to look right.

i dont now if this is obsessive compulsive but i also constantly pick at scabs or sores on myself. i know its gross

the television volume always has to be on a multiple of 5.

Anonymous

Hello, I'm new so I really should register :)
One of mine is also writing and making lists. I also have awful scenarios run through my mind about my love ones being in accidents.
I pick the skin of the bottom of my feet and any scab or sore I find.
I count things like my steps if walking alone or if I'm having to wait any where I'll start counting whatever there is more than one of.
I'll get into a habit at home and have a hard time breaking it.
I don't like odd numbers.
I'm overly superstitious and terrified that if I think of anything negative I will somehow make it happen.
I'm still trying to bring myself to get a will in order. I have it in my head that if I do a will I will then give FATE the go ahead for me to die.
That looks absolutely ridiculous now that I read it back :lol:

sweetsalwa

I don't come alot in this website so maybe most of you don't know me....I m not sure if I have OCD.....but when I study....I study like crazy....I keep on readin the paragraph even though I understand it perfectly but I don't know I don't feel comfortable unless I read it a hundred times....I stay like in one page for hours.....n also when I write my test...I have to recheck my answers over n over...which is really annoyin and frustatin :roll: ...n I worry alot who is going to die...n I sniff alot
:)

Anonymous

slutkissgirl said:
·Handwashing
·Touching my hair
·Scales
·Rewashing my body over and over again in the shower
·Health
·Applying makeup

.. What are yours?

Hope I'm not making anyone feel uncomfortable, just curious : o )
Thank's guy's ! ..

Hailey*

I'm forever washing my hands and I always have to have capital letters where they're ment to be. I continuously touch my hair, and worst of all if anyone moves anything in my room I get really annoyed. If anything moves around in my room or house I get annoyed and usually sit down in a personal spot until everything is right again. I also when i have the volume on something it has to be an even number and for some reason I always wake up at 7am even if I don't intend to. Could remebering really random numbers also be an obsession? I don't know if I have OCD but by reading other people's replys it sound like it doesn't it?

lia

I have a thing for the number 4. Everything is done in groups of 4. Four sets of four is even better.

I count things.

Everything has to be symmetrical or if I'm arranging, like, books or something they have to go from tallest to shortest.

I check locks

I can't touch certain things I've deemed "unclean" for whatever reason (reasons including: someone else touched it before me, it's not fitting my symmetry/number specifications, or because it just is)

se7

I wouldn't sasy I have OCD, but I can't stop checking that the fridge door is shut properly! If it was all doors and windows n so on I'd say I have it, but it's just the fridge. Check it 5-6 times everytime I close it, and a few times before I go to bed, I have to do that, even if I ain't been in the fridge all day, I have to check it before bed.

Also when I was a kid, I used to do everything an even amount of times. If I was walking home I had to make sure I'd taken same amont of steps with my left foot, as I had with my right. I used to do that for everything, cleaning teeth, rubbing my eye, everything.