What can I do?

Danfalc

Banned
Okay im basicaly at rock bottom with my sp/sa so i could do with some help if anyone can? I dont work or study or anything and im housebound at the moment.Ive been getting treated with meds for about a year and a half, but there having no effect at all,im on the waiting list for cbt which i think if anything is going to help that will, but i was ment to start it like six months ago and im still waiting.Im fed up with waiting and i want to start doing somthing because the depresion is starting to take hold.

Ive been forcing myself to go out, and thats just been making it ten times worse :( .And im that bad now i cant even stand to be around my family.I appreciate that you guys arnt doctors,But hopefully some of you can relate to the point im at now?Basicaly im looking for some advice on how i can begin to tackle it in small steps,and any good suggestions what i could do with my spare time as having too much time on my hands to think which doesnt help matters.

Like i said i know you guys arnt doctors, but any advice would be greatly appreciated even if its just recomending a book or somthing or a web page.Anyways sorry for the long post and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Danny

black_mamba

Hey cool, we both posted our topics at the exact same time. 8O

Well I know how you feel, I'm pretty housebound at the moment as I have study leave for my exams. Normally I tend to concentrate on my studies so much I forget all about being depressed. Its a tired idea but it works; if you're overly busy you don't have time to be miserable, you just get on with life.

Something thats been making me feel good recently, and it may work for you, is a little goal I've set for myself in terms of exercising and getting strong. Got myself my dumb bells and am loving using them. Although, they're too light for me now and I've resorted to lifting my partners toolbox!

Or how about learning a new skill. This is a hard one for indoors as most fun stuff is very active and needs lots of space. Anything you've always wanted to learn?

Or how about writing about your experiences and feelings, make a scrap book about how SA is affecting you? Is that too cheesy though? I'd like to write some stuff on social phobia to give to my partner to let him know how it feels like.

What else what else, you could get some binoculars and spy on people through your curtains. :lol:

black_mamba

Just re-read the first post and I think I misunderstood what you were asking; so you want ideas to help you get over social anxiety right?

[cartman] Godammit!!! [/cartman]

*shrugs* My advice is still stands as...find something you like and keep at it. Its distraction therapy, pioneered by moi. :wink:

Danfalc

Banned
Thanks for the reply, i do work out a fair bit, but its really hard some days when the depression is quite bad and i just dont have the enthusiasm :( .

Learning a new skill isnt a bad idea, maybe i could do some home study or somthing perhaps, studying sa/sp wouldnt be a bad start i guess,as even if i have no energy i can still sit down and study,but to be honest im not the sharpest tool in the box :oops: I think most of it would go in one ear and out the other.

Har har at the spying suggestion,my neighbours probaly think im a little weird to start with as i never leave my flat so i dont think that would do me any favours :lol:

thanks for the post, i guess finding somthing to keep me busy can well.... um keep me busy untill i find somthing :lol:

Scottish_Player

Hey Dan,i know exactly how you feel,iam just at the end of a weeks holiday and i feel crap for it,having nothing to do to pass the time with is so boring.One thing that does help me though is driving (not sure if you drive or not) its the only time i get away from everything round about me.

I also just bought another guitar to try and learn to play it,its someting that has a goal to it,like setting my self the task of learning a song,even although i cant realy play it yet :)

Now and again i'll pick a subject and study it on the internet just for my own benefit to pass the time and give me somthing to do,the last thing i picked was "White Powder Gold" its very intresting,how it makes things float and levitate stick those 3 words into google if you get the chance its very intresting.

Cant realy think of anything major at the moment :roll: but hope you get some ideas :)

Danfalc

Banned
Nah i dont drive, i dont have the money or the confidence to do it,but i mean if i could build up to doing it perhaps it would help with getting out a bit more,so thanks thats not a bad idea.

Hmm guitar you say, learning to play an instrument isnt a bad idea either,but i have about as much musical talent as a umm.... umm
libery x :lol:

Im gonna look at the gold powder thingy now cos im bored, i like reading about stuff like that so thanks.

Sorry if it seems im being awkward and shooting everyones ideas down,but i do appreciate the feedback.

Scottish_Player

Danfalc said:
Sorry if it seems im being awkward and shooting everyones ideas down,but i do appreciate the feedback.

its no bother i know what you mean,its just trying to find that thing that realy gets your intrest and gets you motivated.

emmie

keeping busy

hi danfalc

have you thought about getting a dog. you could set urself a goal to take it 4 a walk even if it is 4 5 mins a day. but isuppose u wud hav 2 really want one else its not fair on the dog!!

everyday why dont u just go outside 4 5 mins and increase it more each day.

i dont think u shud be trying to find things 2 keep u busy in the house. i think u shud be setting little goals 2 do outside everyday.

listen to a walkman while ur walking so uve got somethin 2 keep ur mind occupied.

soz bet u think my ideas r crap!!

good luck :D

avid_merrion

you could do some volenteer work for the samaritans etc i did that and it gave me a better understanding of mental illness even tho i been ill since i was bout 7 but this made me share experiences and the feel of satisfaction you get from just being there for someone in a time of need is invaluable in fact its like two way therapy. You get training etc and the environments really relaxed and everyone is great most of them hve been ill themselves at somepoint so they understand and you become part of a team which is a good feeling too.

SPECTACULAR

How about playstation?
I can't get enough of it..Winning Eleven, Proevolution Soccer, Metal Gear?
if you don't have one, well, fu** SP for sometime and go buy one, you won't get bored.
That's what I do, I don't know about you. it's just another suggestion.
bye. :)

Danfalc

Banned
Thanks for the replies everyone, Emmie i so want a dog, but i cant have em in my flat :( .But im gonna take a walkman out with me, who knows having some music to listen to might take my mind off how im feeling when im out> im actualy going to do that.And yeah your right i should be setting myself things to do outside really

Avid thats a good idea aswell mate, but i dont think im at that stage yet,but thats worth doing if i get well enough to do it.So thanks

Danfalc

Banned
oooops! speactacular i missed your post, yeah computer games are a good way to pass the time and i do that a lot, but i dont think im addressing my issues if i just sit and play games all day, but yeah i agree with you, if i cant cope i will just sit and play games all day

Oh yeah and your f**k sp comment made me chuckle :lol:

smiley

i can't believe it's a competition.
so if yur saying im stupid and taking the piss out of me that means im stupid and i don't have social phobia (it's a pain writing it in full).
why wud i log on to this site