What can I do?

emmie

Danfalc said:
umm im i really dont know what ive done to upset smiley, can someone explain please?

i dont think it was ment 4 u ! im baffled as to who it was ment 4 plz dont keep us in suspense any more smiley let us no 8O

Nightshade

I know I'm probably sounding like a stuck record on this, but have you considered or tried reading CBT books. That was really useful for me. There is a recent thread listing a few:

http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/postt2490.html

I admit to being someone who hates self-help and popular psychology books, but reading CBT books and doing the activities was really helpful. And there must be something intrinsically appealing to people with SP that you can treat yourself by sitting alone in your room and working from a book. :D

Danfalc

Banned
Nightshade, thanks for that link, i mean im not sure if ive got the brain power to apply the stuff that books like that need you to,But i mean nothing else is working so i will check em out, as its better to try and fail than doing nothing at all.

smiley

want to apologise

Hi. I owe a few people an apology.
Last post i sent was missposted. Sorry again bout the mix-up. i'd replied to a post about 'surviving financially', meanwhile i'd had a few glasses of wine and i thought people were slagging me off about my post.

*Paranoid City*

Does anybody else get this paranoid with sp? every new person i meet must get a really bad vibe off me. Biggest problem when im out and i c people i kinda know and they dont say hello. Why do they ignore me? im afraid 2 wave at them cause i c them looking away.

emmie

Re: want to apologise

smiley said:
Hi. I owe a few people an apology.
Last post i sent was missposted. Sorry again bout the mix-up. i'd replied to a post about 'surviving financially', meanwhile i'd had a few glasses of wine and i thought people were slagging me off about my post.

*Paranoid City*

Does anybody else get this paranoid with sp? every new person i meet must get a really bad vibe off me. Biggest problem when im out and i c people i kinda know and they dont say hello. Why do they ignore me? im afraid 2 wave at them cause i c them looking away.

i think its a symptom of sp i get paranoid all the time :roll:

esp

Hey there, I've been stuck at home for a long time. You definitely need to have something to do, I did correspondence study for years. There is a book you can download here that I found helpful: http://www.mindpub.com/mindpub.htm
Other books I've got are Dying of Embarrassment, Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness by Gillian Butler, and Shyness by Phillip G Zimbardo
I guess if you can't get to the therapist it will help to read about it.
Cognitive therapy is like this: you have to record the negative thought you had, what was happening, and the feeling that resulted. Then you need to challenge the thought and replace it with a more positive realistic thought, and see if that changes how you feel. The behavioural part is gradual exposure. You need to break down what you want to achieve into small steps that you can easily achieve each time, you don't just jump in feet first. And you can learn to handle the anxiety with breathing techniques. The important thing is to stay in the situation until the anxiety goes down, not to run away. Well I hope this helps!

marc72

hi

me personally I like listening to the music while i surf the internet I listen to different type of music and look for different topics . Perhaps you can apply for disablilty benefits during the meantime. Or join the gym and go when it is not crowded or like the other person said maybe you can get Playstation or sometype of video games. I dont play video games but I use to go to my friend house to past time and see him play Vice City. its tough I feel your pain. Music collection is good though.

Danfalc

Banned
Hey smiley, thanks for letting us know that post was a accident, i was paranoid that i had done somthing to offend you, so guess that answers your paranoia question :)

And wow, thanks for all the ideas everyone, im defintley gonna try some of them, and if i think of anything else ill post it on here