Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Male, currently single

Votes: 41 47.1%
  • Female, currently in a relationship

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • Female, currently single

Votes: 23 26.4%

• Total voters
10% of men that sign up here are predators? That's actually kind of a lot.... :thumbdown:

I'm about to show my ignorance but it's cool 'cause I'm looking for enlightenment. What kind of predators are being spoken of here? This is the only internet forum I belong to and I'm not exactly sure what an internet predator is. I'm being totally serious. Are they here to make fun of people? Or are they like hacker types, wanting to like get inside people's computers? Are they stalkers? I am being dead serious here so please don't make fun of me for asking. What are some signs to look for from these predator-types?

Remus

Staff member
^All of the above. I did say 5-10%.

We have 105 pages of reported posts going back to 2009 consisting of 5,387posts and 1,942 threads. That's the reported ones. We do see patterns in certain users behaviour and have off the record complaints more often than this. Though no proof given and we cant go off heresay. It's much more common that you think, not just here but all over the internet. I'm friends with mods on quite a few places. They say the same.

It's not wholly men doing this of course. though I'd put a figure of about 90% on that.

I don't want to spread paranoia of course but for myself I'm far more cautious than the 'wet behind the ears' Remus that was first connecting to the internet back in 2000.

Last edited:

We have 105 pages of reported posts going back to 2009 consisting of 5,387posts and 1,942 threads. That's the reported ones. We do see patterns and have off the record complaints more often than this.

Good grief that's a lot! :eek:

Odo

Banned
I was thinking you were saying this forum was 5-10% sex predators.
If you're including con men and trolls, then that's not so bad.

These results are definitely not surprising... everywhere you go online you bump into lonely men complaining about not being able to get women to like them. I have to wonder if it was always like this and nobody realized, or if it's because society has changed.

Remus

Staff member
I was thinking you were saying this forum was 5-10% sex predators.
If you're including con men and trolls, then that's not so bad.

These results are definitely not surprising... everywhere you go online you bump into lonely men complaining about not being able to get women to like them. I have to wonder if it was always like this and nobody realized, or if it's because society has changed.

Nath said predators. Not sex predators. Probably about a third of cases are pervy. So that would be about about 1-3% of those joining.

MikeyC

We have 105 pages of reported posts going back to 2009 consisting of 5,387posts and 1,942 threads. That's the reported ones. We do see patterns in certain users behaviour and have off the record complaints more often than this. Though no proof given and we cant go off heresay. It's much more common that you think, not just here but all over the internet. I'm friends with mods on quite a few places. They say the same.

It's not wholly men doing this of course. though I'd put a figure of about 90% on that.

I don't want to spread paranoia of course but for myself I'm far more cautious than the 'wet behind the ears' Remus that was first connecting to the internet back in 2000.
I think the best thing is to just be vigilant, mods and users alike, on any predatory behaviour. It's the women that need to be most careful, it seems.

That's a hell of a lot of reports.

everywhere you go online you bump into lonely men complaining about not being able to get women to like them.
Great, I'm part of the problem. Sorry! :eek:mg:

Silatuyok

Me too. I think about that a lot. Is it just the way of nature, or is it the way society is set up now?

Not to start that argument again, but I always thought it was a female's natural prerogative to choose the male... If gorillas or cuttlefish or ladybugs could talk, the menfolk would probably be saying some pretty similar things.

Kiwong

I'd love to see a talking cuttlefish!

Did someone say pwedator?

I know this is a serious discussion, but I'm feeling kind of light hearted and running with it.

Last edited:
Not to start that argument again, but I always thought it was a female's natural prerogative to choose the male... If gorillas or cuttlefish or ladybugs could talk, the menfolk would probably be saying some pretty similar things.

this, exactly. However I'm likely to think the figures (% single male) are slightly more exaggerated on SA forums then the general populous. Partly due to the way society has gone and partly due to inhibiting traits of mental disorders.

A Many Splendored Thing

chicks_zps0d21c55c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here are some Cockatiel chicks I prepared earlier.

I should add, there are some lonely guys on this site, looking for love, but they seem pretty decent to me.
I came to this site to see chicks and finally it's paying off!

AGR

I agree. I apologise on behalf of the 1 in 10 men who are crazy.

humm,what do you guys mean by"predator"?

Is it men who are "players" and want as many women that they can get?or men that have "rape" tendencies if it is the first one is anyone surprised at all?

MikeyC

Is it men who are "players" and want as many women that they can get?or men that have "rape" tendencies if it is the first one is anyone surprised at all?
I would define a predator as someone who would use women for their own personal gain, and to hurt/betray/assault the woman in the process. Stalking is predatory actions, too, even if it just means constantly sending messages through private messages or something.

If one in ten men joining the site are like that, then that is absolutely awful.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member

Well, I've personally known one guy who would hack into girls' (off site) private picture collections, another who would harass girls sexually and would try to use their naughty pictures to blackmail them into getting what he wanted (mostly sexual stuff), and another who wouldn't quit sexually harassing the under-aged girls.

Is that predatory enough for you?

Then of course there's the non-sexual predators--people who think things like social anxiety are hilarious; people looking for easy victims to abuse for fun.

Oh, and that one guy who lied about never having been hugged or loved and stuff and got a lot of people to pity him and even succeeded in tricking at least one girl into meeting him in person. He turned out to be lying about everything, a hardcore drug addict, and generally bat-shit crazy.

Good times!

drganon

Still single and loving it! Well, that last part was a lie, but lets not get caught up on details or the truth.