Why do people bully?

What about this:

I think some people who bullied me got bullied themselves.
It doesn't make what they did right, but I guess it is partly the fault of the people who bullied them that I got bullied.

I wish people would think before they bully..

Triselle

because they don't have a life

they think thier cool when they do it(which is so not cool)

AHEM AHEM

maybe they have strict parents, which maybe he might not like and he uses his anger and bully people just because of that

OR

because they got it from those old movies where theres always a bully and a nerd in it

which is sad because a person who have a better hobbie to do because bullying is sad, the bully should really think before they do anything. One day they are going to look back and regret what they did and you know KARMA, they might get bullied when they're older and they'll feel the pain the people they bullied a few years back.

BULLYS ARE MEAN :B

gaddie

Why do people bully? Good question and one which doesn't have a clear cut answer. I believe that despite there being many different reasons why people bully, the main ones probably fall down into the following catergories:
1) They are low-lifes who believe that power is based around controlling others and as such believe that by intimidating others, they can control them and hence be more powerful than them.
2) Kind of related to the first point, they have being brought up to believe that bullying is the way to get what you want. As such, they bully to get what they can out of others.
3) They have severe anger issues (and esteem issues) and feel that by taking it out on another is the only real way to gain power over another individual.

Either way, bullying should not be tolerated and I believe that bullies should not recieve any compassion for being compassionate to some bullies makes them think that they can carry on bullying!

Alex
Author of Beat The Bully: A Guide To Dealing With Adult Bullying

Necrucifer

I used to be bullied all the time going from elementary school to high school...I got tired of it during junior high through up until I stopped High school...they learn pretty quickly what a quiet person can do to them :) I'll just keep it at that. Once you've had enough of it you will explode and they will be sorry they kept it up...not saying its a good thing but unless you do something about it non violently you will probably explode one day...

tovoxy

there are many factors
for example, a girl who bullied me was growing up in a poor family, her mother was an alcoholic etc and plus she was very abusive and her dad was in jail at that moment
and another girl which used to bully me has the same story

so it could be also the environment and the upbringing...

but on the other hand, my mom and dad were really abusive to me too, my dad used to drink a lot, but i would never bully someone, that's probably because of my character or smth

EDIT:
But most of the kids and teenagers(those, who're the bullies) are just dumb and really mean, they cannot judge their own behavior and acts, so they'd think "Oh look there that antisocial freak, lets beat him up, coz that would be soo much fun!!"
Maybe, when they grow up they understand(and i'm sure they do) that what they've done was just cruel, stupid and pointless.

Last edited:

KiaKaha

Banned
I think its about social status. Bullying provides them with power. Its like the "alpha male" syndrome. Being dominant shows people who is in charge. The reason they keep doing it is because they can get away with it, and the reason they prey on quiet kids is because they dont fight back.

Its a stupid way to think... and I think its wrong. No one should have to live in fear from another person. I dont think bullies actually realize how much permanent harm they can do.

KiaKaha

Banned
No, they don't. I am Exhibit A. If I wanted to see their faces again (idiots from high school), I would tell them.

I would too.
There is lots of different kinds of bullying too...it can be passive as well as active ... The thing that really grates me is that during your school years you begin to understand how the world is and its also when you truly start to identify what kind of person you are....all those internal core beliefs are formed... Bullying should not be tolerated... I dont think enough is being done... It affects a person throughout their whole life, determining to a certain extent, how much they can achieve.

Thats what I think anyway.

Kathryn.fr

Idk, I don't think there was a day in life I wasn't bullied, I never got beat up. Mostly teasing, things thrown at my face, in my school small town it's what they were told to do to anyone different. I was the most different out of any kid there as far as oddballs went. If you weren't best friends with a popular last name you got bullied. I don't think kids wanted to bully me but I seen how their parents treated them when it was just them so I think they just took it out on me. Now I'll go back and rub everything in their faces though.

Why do people bully? Good question and one which doesn't have a clear cut answer. I believe that despite there being many different reasons why people bully, the main ones probably fall down into the following catergories:
1) They are low-lifes who believe that power is based around controlling others and as such believe that by intimidating others, they can control them and hence be more powerful than them.
2) Kind of related to the first point, they have being brought up to believe that bullying is the way to get what you want. As such, they bully to get what they can out of others.
3) They have severe anger issues (and esteem issues) and feel that by taking it out on another is the only real way to gain power over another individual.

Either way, bullying should not be tolerated and I believe that bullies should not recieve any compassion for being compassionate to some bullies makes them think that they can carry on bullying!

Alex
Author of Beat The Bully: A Guide To Dealing With Adult Bullying

Thanks for posting that link. It looks like a really good book worth getting.:)

MikeyC

I would too.
There is lots of different kinds of bullying too...it can be passive as well as active ... The thing that really grates me is that during your school years you begin to understand how the world is and its also when you truly start to identify what kind of person you are....all those internal core beliefs are formed... Bullying should not be tolerated... I dont think enough is being done... It affects a person throughout their whole life, determining to a certain extent, how much they can achieve.

Thats what I think anyway.
More is being done now than when I was at school not even that long ago. In Australia they're trying to stamp out school bullying, finally realising it does cause serious psychological damage later in life. The process is too slow, though.

Kids have killed themselves over it and I was nearly going down that path, too. It affects your whole mental state.

Basically bullies have emotional "needs", which require them to attack/indimidate/belittle a "victim", for those emotional needs to be met. And yes, they indeed are "sick" individuals. But that's the only way they've learnt to deal with these emotions/needs.

Research apparently shows that school bullies frequently end up in jail!
One of my school bullies is now a policer officer (!!!). Another is dead.

I sometimes wonder if its brainwashing about right and wrong absolutes, that causes us to become naive enough to be so bemused when we are bullied for the first time. I don't know what others felt at that time, but for me it was denial
Same here!. I never really regarded it as "bullying", but more like "just getting hassled from time-to-time". I was very sensitive, but i also had an inner strength (?), which caused me to never "hate" them, but only myself.

I reckon the best counter (not for physical) is to be (or at least appear) COMPLETELY uneffected
This is exactly how i handled it. At the time my motive was so that they never gained the pleasure/satisfaction/etc from it, and also so i would feel less angry/victimized (by not letting them, my enemy, who i disliked but didn't hate/blame, to gain any positives - as they were giving me negatives, and so would be an unjust imbalance of power). Basically i tried my very best to handle the very repressed & supressed rage that was boiling deep within me.

Nowadays, i would (& do) handle such very rare occurences of bully-like behaviour in a different, much more healthy way. As you said joeljjison, i still try to aim for "unaffected", but not simply to APPEAR unaffected (as in the past), but actually to BE unaffected (& not only at the SURFACE (ie not get angry at time), but also & more importantly at a DEEP level).

How i achieve this, which i currently have had 100% success with, is to NOT JUDGE anything that anybody "throws" at you (as good, bad, evil, whatever) , but simply to view it EXACTLY AS IS, and to ACCEPT that this present moment is "PERFECT" EXACTLY AS IT IS. Ie DON'T FIGHT IT, as that is the main cause of conflict - "fighting" against people, their words, actions, beliefs. Its kind of using the power of your imagination to remove all people-conflict from your life. But this ISN'T being a "wimp" & "letting them win" & treat you like a "doormat" - it is the exact opposite. It's "inner power". You choose not to engage in "fighting" against them. You allow them to (do their stuff) --> you "accept" it (as having happened/ing, not as "okay" or "not okay") --> you don't react with negative thoughts/feelings --> (and in theory) they very quickly "tire" of bullying you (as you don't put up the "resistance" or supply the "conflict" that they want, nor do you react with negative feelings (which they probably also want), and so it becomes a pointless exercise for them as they are getting no "pay-off" from it any more).

I certainly do have "WAY bigger fish-to-fry" in my life, nowadays & also back then, and so eliminating this one source of problems has certainly been helpful for me, so i can focus on other, more important things.

Last edited:

mcpon

I apologize for not having read the entire thread so please delete if this has already been said.

I think bullies are jealous. They feel inferior to you so they try to bring you down. They may think that you have a much easier home-life than them so they want to even it out by trying to make your outside life miserable, for example.

takethislife

I think it's irrelevant why. They bully because they can.
The issue of bullying shouldn't be perceived as the bullies' issue, but the victims' issue.
I don't care what problems the bully has, I certainly didn't cause them.

irish_bob

bullies bully because they like it , if i was to point of a common charechter trait among bullies , it would be arrogance , you need to be incredibly arrogant to bring yourself to victimise and subjugate someone

irish_bob

Cause we let them bullyng

its more complicated than that sometimes , i was bullied in the workplace and its didnt register for quite a while that i was bullied , in fact i had left this place of work , was only due to stay a set length of time anyhow so i didnt leave because of the bullying although looking back , i wish i had ran a mile the first day i encountered this monster

Nothingness

Have you ever seen a bully dethroned? When a bully is beat down. They become a frail, empty shell and completely alone! I think most of them really have more problems than we do!