Would, or have any of you had kids???

I agree with echo.
I also think we should be more "selfish" because most of our time is wasted thinking about others e.g. what other people are thinking, instead of enjoying our own lives.

Right now I don't think I'll want to have kids. I'm too busy struggling with my own life already.

Chilling__Echo

ugh, everytime i think about having kids, i just remember all the exhausted mothers i see in grocery stores or the ones being glared at the in the movie thearters. nobody likes a brat running around and i don't want to be the red-faced mother to claim them! the last thing i need to little munchkins to draw negative attention to me! luckily my mom said i never acted like that and hopefully, generally kids aren't like that... any parents out there got any horror stories to keep me up at night?

hitch

Chilling__Echo said:
ok i deffinately think you are over analyzing the whole thing. giving someone life is a gift, not a punishment. would you deny your potential offspring a potentially great life because you may not think life has treated you well?

even if there is a chance for them to get a disease, everyone's had that chance. and yes there are circumstances to giving them a good life like making sure that whomever is going to be apart of your family (b/f, husband, whatever) that you're all good and well financially and as a partnership.

I can't believe what you are saying, life is a gift? To some, sure, to me, no, I would much rather have not been here, give me the chance to undo my existence and I would in a second. You agree with me there's a chance they would get sick or worse, and you honestly feel that it's OK for you to take the risk with SOMEONE ELSE'S LIFE??!?!?!?! Is that what you would tell your kid if something like that was to happen, Oh, sorry you're deformed or whatever, but hey, I wanted kids.

Chilling__Echo

you're not even giving the child a chance. we're able to reproduce for a reason. just because you may see life as something horrible doesn't mean everyone will. everyone is delt something different but we all have to deal one way or another.

jourjaune

I'm way to young to have a baby, but I also want to adopt when I'm older. I'd want to experience being pregnant, but I can't be around babies too long without going crazy. Five minuets with my neice and I'm running. I know that sounds mean, but I'm much better with kids like 7 and older.

hitch

Chilling__Echo said:
you're not even giving the child a chance. we're able to reproduce for a reason. just because you may see life as something horrible doesn't mean everyone will. everyone is delt something different but we all have to deal one way or another.

You just don't seem to be getting it, here, let's focus on that word you used - CHANCE. OK, good, so you agree, having a child is taking a chance, a chance they may be happy, a chance they may be miserable, we agree on that, now, my point is this: It is not for ME to take that CHANCE for someone else, if I want to take chances with MY life, that is my right, if that chance blows up in my face< I have to deal with it, not anyone else.

Say you have $50,000 saved, would it be right for me to go take a chance in the stock market with YOUR money without your permission, NO, ofcourse not, that would be wrong. When you have a kid, you are taking a chance, a huge chance, and it is with someone else's life, and they never get a say in it, and they, not you, will have to deal with it if something goes bad, that is wrong.

Chilling__Echo

you're saying that i don't get it when you're trying to tell me that we should all just stop having babies because they might pop out handicapped? why don't we all kill ourselves now and be done with it. poof, no one to have babies at all because othewise it would be a risk.

MadCat

Wow....

Hitch:
if everyone looked at it like that I'm sure the planet would be underpopulated.

The need for reproduction is why we have so many babies coming out.

Chilling__Echo:
Agree with you.

Was thinking that myself.

JWH

Hitch, that's a pretty decent thing of you to do. I totally believe it's time humans exercised some control. Yes, we're programmed to reproduce but we have seen the damage done to the world via human overpopulation.

That said, if ever I get the itch I'll a) get another cat, b) adopt or c) have an only child if absolutely necessary.

hitch

Chilling__Echo said:
you're saying that i don't get it when you're trying to tell me that we should all just stop having babies because they might pop out handicapped?

Pretty much yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying, it's not your risk to take because it is your child, not you who will have to live with it, I think of all the pain I would have been spared if my parents had thought like I do, why would I want to put anyone through this pain or something similar, maybe even worse.

Nell

It's perfectly OK not to want kids...

LilMiss,

Ignore the people who say you're being selfish for not wanting children. As you asked, selfish to whom? I may be wrong, but aren't there enough people on the Earth as it is? And would it be right to give birth knowing that one is not that "into" kids only to do a predictably lousy job at raising them. I mean honestly. Additionally, some people have very "selfish" reasons for bringing children into the world.

I'm not a parent for several reasons. 1) SA has not helped me attract someone with whom I may have wanted to produce children, even though I am perfectly normal in every way and fairly attractive.

2) I have a chronic illness which, while it doesn't prevent me from having children, would make it difficult and damaging my health could also be an unfortunate outcome. Is this selfish of me?

3) Lastly, while I enjoy kids in small doses I've honestly never had a big yearning to be a Mom. For this reason in particular, I decided not to risk my health by having any kids. It's just not that important to me. Is this selfish? I call it common sense.

kris_bcn

GettingThere said:
I have no doubt that there is a genetic connection but I am equally sure that if a child is raised with strong self esteem that he or she will not be burdened with the problem regardless of genetics.

I don't think it's related to genetics, I prefer to think that the environment and the circumstances you live are the cause...

Secret_Smile

I want 1 or 2 kids.
I reckon I'd be an alright Mum.

Hopefully, if my therapy works well (which its doing so far) then my Anxious habbits won't rub off on them.

Remus

Staff member
kris_bcn said:
Esmeralda said:
kris_bcn said:
I would like to have three kids, two boys and a girl... and a dog as well... but free from SP

me too :roll:

is there any boy here who wants the same??

yup!

I got two already (free from SA)

but I want more, I'd like another girl, prefer a cat to a dog though ( you have to pick up there poops in a plastic bag now /yak )

I look at babies in prams and want more kids

well theres always grandkids I guess