Yall will hate me for this post

Odo

Banned
No I agree, your logic is sound there. But that's why he's saying it's a double standard though.

It isn't a double standard unless they actively support a draft for men.

Feminists also don't support the idea of men being raped more often, and aren't calling for workers in male-dominated fields to receive lower salaries. These things would probably make the genders more 'equal', but they would also increase suffering for everyone involved... which isn't really the point.

You can't seriously expect people to support war purely in the name of equality, especially if this conflicts with their personal beliefs about it.

Last edited:

Odo

Banned
^ There is no context that would make that sentence appropriate....(I don't want to quote)

It's amazing how people will get indignant over my analogies, and yet some guy insists that the only way to make women's sports interesting is for them to go topless and it's all good.

Yep, no need for feminism here.

It's amazing how people will get indignant over my analogies, and yet some guy insists that the only way to make women's sports interesting is for them to go topless and it's all good.

Yep, no need for feminism here.

your analogy makes no sense, its just an unnecessary reference to an act of brutality. It has nothing to do with gender equality in the eyes of the law.

Odo

Banned
your analogy makes no sense, its just an unnecessary reference to an act of brutality. It has nothing to do with gender equality in the eyes of the law.

It makes perfect sense, you just don't understand it.
Saying the word doesn't mean I'm actually condoning it.

You're not even thinking about what I'm saying, you're just attacking the tone... which is only slightly better than grammar police.

No... actually it's worse. At least grammar police might help someone with their grammar-- this is just you getting upset because you think it helps your point.

Last edited:
odo said:
It makes perfect sense, you just don't understand it.
Saying the word doesn't mean I'm actually condoning it.

You're not even thinking about what I'm saying, you're just attacking the tone... which is only slightly better than grammar police.

ok well let me address why this is an illogical aswell as distasteful and inappropriate remark

odo said:
It isn't a double standard unless they actively support a draft for men.

Feminists also don't support the idea of men being raped more often, and aren't calling for workers in male-dominated fields to receive lower salaries. These things would probably make the genders more 'equal', but they would also increase suffering for everyone involved... which isn't really the point.

You can't seriously expect people to support war purely in the name of equality, especially if this conflicts with their personal beliefs about it.

drafting -> equal rights legal issue
salary -> equal rights legal issue
rape-> barbaric act that has nothing to do with anything

Odo

Banned
ok well let me address why this is an illogical aswell as distasteful and inappropriate remark

drafting -> equal rights legal issue
salary -> equal rights legal issue
rape-> barbaric act that has nothing to do with anything

My point was that conscription, rape and lower salaries are all BAD.
I'm sure you can see that putting them into different categories doesn't somehow mean they are no longer BAD.

And if conscription isn't BAD, then why would anyone be upset that they have to go through it?

Anyways, good for you for throwing out 3 amazing adjectives to let everyone know just how upset you are.

My point was that conscription, rape and lower salaries are all BAD.
I'm sure you can see that putting them into different categories doesn't somehow mean they are no longer BAD.
I'm not gonna agree with you. I don't think the reference to rape was appropriate or relevant.

Anyways, good for you for throwing out 3 amazing adjectives to let everyone know just how upset you are.

Same goes for the personal attack.

Odo

Banned
I'm not gonna agree with you. I don't think the reference to rape was appropriate or relevant.

So I'm wrong just because... and criticizing me is fine, but criticizing you back is a personal attack.

Thanks for the tasteful, appropriate, relevant and logical logic lesson.

So I'm wrong just because... and criticizing me is fine, but criticizing you back is a personal attack.

Thanks for the tasteful, appropriate, relevant and logical logic lesson.

I think there was an inappropriate reference that didn't have any relevance to your point.

:thinking: but I don't think your point was wrong, I think your point was interesting certainly you frequently make some very interesting and relevant points on the forum.I'm sorry if what I said felt like a criticism I lack tact. Certainly no offence intended and none taken.

MollyBeGood

I find there in nothing feminine about feminism.

Look up the definition of feminine and see it has nothing to do with being feminine.

Does this this mean anything to anyone?

I actually have been a tomboy my whole life but damned if I want to BE a man. I love being a woman.

Where is feminism standing up for actually the qualities of being feminine? This is just confusing... Can some intellectual explain this to me? Maybe i am just not smart enough.

Megaten

No I agree, your logic is sound there. But that's why he's saying it's a double standard though. Unless you're going to fight against a draft for men, the fight is not as much for equality as it is just for women's rights. Equality isn't something you pick and choose. If someone is fighting for equality, it should be in all respects. Otherwise you get arguments like this, which I have heard 1000 times.

"Well, men are expected to pay for everything, and take care of women, therefor they should get paid more because they have to spend more money"

Now, logically women don't have reason to fight to break that cultural norm. Why would they want to spend more money if they don't have too? Why feel forced to do something they don't need to? The answer I think would be equality. Men and women should have the same opportunity to make money, as well as to spend it. Obviously this isn't an institutionalized thing, but it'd be as if men had an additional tax on them for being male. If that was the case, them making more money to compensate for that would have an argument. So when the people fight for men and women to make as much, I would say they are also fighting for men and women to pay for the same things as well. And if the fight is for general gender equality, than it's for all people to register, for men and women to get comparable sentences, for no special treatment.

If the focus of feminism is just women's rights, there's not really a problem with that. That's what it would be though.

Ok i think Im starting to see where you guys are coming from. What we need to solve this is to form a new group (or bolster one that already exists) to solve these disparities. I think a big conflict here in this thread is that there's a bit of bitterness towards the bad eggs in Feminism and thats going to make the good ones defensive. We all want the same thing though. I mean, cant we all at least agree that we want the same thing?

Odo

Banned
I find there in nothing feminine about feminism.

Look up the definition of feminine and see it has nothing to do with being feminine.

Does this this mean anything to anyone?

I actually have been a tomboy my whole life but damned if I want to BE a man. I love being a woman.

Where is feminism standing up for actually the qualities of being feminine? This is just confusing... Can some intellectual explain this to me? Maybe i am just not smart enough.

The idea that there is a certain gender-specific 'way' that you're supposed to be living your life is exactly the issue.

There is no set of behaviors that (most) feminists expect people to conform to... people should be free to be whoever they are without social pressures from the general public, the media, ****y people, etc.

This is why they're so concerned with media representations of women and men-- because the media is shaping our perspectives on this world and tends to promote a very rigid sense of what it means to be a man or a woman. Instead of reinforcing stereotypes, the media should be celebrating diversity so that everyone feels included in the culture... but of course, this isn't something that a lot of people are comfortable with, and the marketing people are too afraid of alienating their consumer base to ever get on board. Courting controversy is a risk that most of them don't want to take, given the money at stake.

Conformity is pretty much the opposite of what egalitarian movements want... you can't have an egalitarian society without embracing diversity.

Last edited:

Odo

Banned
I was thinking in the context of having equal opportunities, and not having obligations or being allowed the same freedoms or benefits due to ones gender.

Yes this would be good.
But equal opportunity means different things to different people.

Libertarian types would tell you that even if Richie McRicherson starts life with millions of dollars in the bank, he has the same opportunities as some kid in the ghetto living in constant fear of being shot... because of the American dream and everything.

As long as everyone has an equal opportunity, how many men or women hold office isn't as important.

Equal opportunity isn't a straightforward concept. Even if the genders are 'choosing' a certain occupation over another, it could be due to the effect that certain social pressures are having on their psychology as opposed to their true potential as human beings.

Gay people used to spend their whole lives censoring themselves, correcting their behaviors, denying their true selves... it's not really so different with men and women who feel the need to be more traditionally masculine or feminine than they might otherwise be... because of what the media says, their peers, their parents, etc.

I guess the way I sort of feel though, it's not "women's issues" and "men's issues," it just seems to me that they all fall under the same umbrella and shouldn't be separated.

I guess some people would agree with this, but on the other hand it's usually better if we all just fight our own battles for the sake of greater focus.

Or maybe it's not, but I was thinking about how two people can have the same job, same pay, and all things equal except one has 10 dependents, and the other has 0, the one with 10 dependents will probably get $6000 more than mr.no kids, with the argument being they need the money to take care of their dependents (I think?). Taking care of a person and going on a date are obviously very different things, but the idea that the government can choose who gets more money based on their lifestyle can be seen here I think.

If I decided to have children, I would want someone to do this for me. Kids are expensive. I don't think this is a government issue-- employers do this in private companies as well. It's because most people care about the future generations more than someone's personal hobbies or trip to whatever country.

azouzi

It's a good idea to talk to females you are familiar with, you mom, sister, or a relative... That way you train yourself to act comfortable around girls

R3K

ever notice how with most insect species the females are much larger than the males... and the males have shorter lifespans and sometimes get eaten by the females after they "do their job"?