Eating in public

fedupoffear88

I don't have a problem eating in public, but i do feel a lil uncomfortable. And yeah i get extremely nervous too the nite before an appointment or if i've got to go somewhere. And nausea is the first feeling i get after getting nervous, and so avoid eating alot. Also, i feel nauseated almost every morning, the day ahead feels like a challenge.::(:

dooby-duck

The worst symptom of my anxiety is probably the nausea, and food does tend to trigger this. I often avoid food and drink if I know I have somewhere to go. Eating out is something I have avoided for many years now. I’ve never really been able to eat a full meal in a restaurant, and large portions heighten the anxiety. It takes a long time for me to become comfortable in places. At home I rarely have problems eating, except at times like Christmas where a lot of effort and emphasis is put on the meal. This tends to trigger my anxiety.

It’s like eating breakfast. I rarely do. I could never go to school all those years ago with a stomach full of food, and now I wouldn’t be comfortable to go to work with food in me. If I have to go somewhere I avoid eating and drinking before. That’s if I haven’t been able to avoid going.

AlleyCat

I hate eating in front of others. I get so paranoid that everyone is staring at me. I know this is all in my head really, but I can't stop feeling that way. I would much rather order some takeout and have a nice dinner in the comfort of my own home. I really don't like restaurants much.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I don't like eating in front of others because I fear they will think I am a pig devouring all the food. I also see myself as such thing. And i don't go to restaurants because it makes me uncomfortable, I have the feeling that everyone is looking at me, analizing my moves and laughing at them.

Shift

I don't have a problem with eating out with my friends (although, sometimes I get nervous about ordering), but I do have trouble eating at sit down, family dinners at other people's houses.

Emily_G

yeah, I can't stand bumping into one of my classmates from high school..but uni is ok...Not high school man, not high school

I am the same way!! I think maybe for two reasons, in high school I was 1) a covert stutterer, and 2) not a Christian. I'm not ashamed of being a Christian, I am ashamed of what I was like in high school...I don't want people to think, "oh it's Emily, she was a slut". And I'm not ashamed of stuttering either, I just don't want people to think "what happened to Emily, did she get scared and start to stutter since high school?"

I really care too much about what people think I guess......

Tlachtgha

Eating in public = nightmare:)
I haven't done it in many years.
I've had cause to drink in public recently and found it very difficult. The first time my hand shook whenever I raised the glass to drink. I've become more accustomed to it, though, since then.

Meggerz88

I am very conscious of eating in public and just in general around people who I don't know very well. I tend to eat very slowly and get self-conscious about always being the last one left eating and having everyone else waiting for me to finish. I know what you mean about leaving a plate of food - I have had it happen a couple times out with people and everyone was asking me what was wrong! It was aweful. I actually am very phobic of thowing up, so you can imagine how badly that escalated my anxiety at those times when I felt like I was going to gag if I put food in my mouth. That actually spurred me into a bad bout of being afraid of eating in general. It went on for a month or so of me barely eating before I got help finally. I am a lot better with it now, but I still get very uncomfortable eating in public or around people I am not comfortable with. Anyway, you aren't alone, that's for sure!

Predacon

I can't say I've ever had a particularly problem eating in public. I just try to block everyone else out and focus on the meal.

hidingfromtheworld

My thing about eating in public is that i feel like everyones looking at me. Especially if i look up and make eye contact withy someone. And if it happens more than once with that someone it really freaks me out. Im also freaked out about the close proximity to the person i am having dinner with. Its too close if its a table for two. I have racing thoughts about whether im eating too fast,have food on my face,etc. Its very uncomfortable and traumatic for me to eat out . Although not the same dining issue that you have , i wanted to share anothers veiw with you about such an uncomfortable thing. Good luck. I know its hard.

Why

eatin in public=no problem

eating alone in public=super anxiety, cant do it

pljunkie

I used to worry that people would look at me and think I was a pig or I was eating funny. It's worse when I eat alone in public. I eventually just got better at it. But it depends on what kind of public place I'm eating at. I find some places worse than others.

Predacon

Can you explain how you manage to do this please Predacon?...In great detail if possible please.:)

You just have to treat people like they're background noise. They're there but just don't let them get to you, focus on your meal. After all whatever we might think nooneelse really cares what you're eating or if you're eating alone.

caissa825

I have trouble eating around people who make me nervous-- and I have a lot of hang ups about what I will eat, I am always wary of food prepared by others... ::eek::