mood boosters, anyone?

hey guys I'm after some ideas...im trying to cut down on meds for depression and anxiety and would like to know some of your methods for lifting your mood during the day, without the use of narcotics or anything illegal mmmk?

..so what gets you going? what turns a boring, joyless and un-eventfull day into something slightly less then that for you? be it online media, literature, social or sporting activity, anything...let me know:thinking:

Nanita

5-htp
Fruits
Exercising
Getting out in the daylight everyday/preferably in nature surroundings
Funny movies
Meditaton & deep breathing

Feathers

Getting out in the daylight everyday/preferably in nature surroundings
Funny movies
This. Plus fish oil/fatty fish, avoiding sugary foods ('sugar high' goes to 'sugar blues' too quickly!), sometimes B vitamins/brewer's yeast.

Talking to a friend or texting with a GOOD friend...

Online media and books can be exciting (in moderation), too much (more than 4-5 hours computer) can lead to depression too.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I don't know why I'm always so enthusiastic about strangers who wants to go off meds. Anyway, for what I know there is nothing more efficient than sport and outdoors for boosting your mood.

As for mood stabilizer, you already got a lot of good advice, here's a couple of mine

- Put yourself on a diet that takes away the brain fog - brain fog is a serious downer
- Sugar and coffee are good if you like your mood to be like a rollercoaster - if not, remove it from your diet
- Make sure your diet is rich enough for you to have all the vitamins, nutrients and healthy fat you need
- Go outside... apparently, indoor air is about 10 times more contaminated than outdoor air, even in the city, and it does have a big impact on your mood and energy level
- Be careful which kind of music you listen to, it has a big effect on your brain
- Of course, exercice is a huge mood stabilizer
- Vitamin D and solar lamp during winter if necessary
- Give your body the time to recover and get rid of all the toxins before you give up, it takes a while

I noticed the following are a mood downer for me, among others:

- Staying still for hours (reading or whatever else on the couch)
- Screens (computer, tv, even my cell phone)

If you really care about getting better, being scientific about it is a very good idea - read articles, google stuff.

Sorry for the long post

Note about coffee as a mood booster:
I've been on coffee as a mood/energy booster lately, and though it works on a short term, I can now confirm that one coffee daily gives me brain fog and makes me coffee dependant for energy supply. Now I have to go on a coffee detox.

Silatuyok

Aside from going out for a walk, which has been mentioned at least twenty times already...I sit down on the floor in a room full of kittens.

Sometimes retail therapy helps, though I usually hit up thrift shops and clearance racks, because spending a lot of money brings me down.

Cleaning/organizing usually lifts my spirits, once I really get into it. Same with yard work/home improvement type stuff.

Journaling and typing out long posts here are also quite cathartic.

If all else fails, send a card or care package to a distant friend and anticipate their reaction.

Quietguy11

Anime, manga, exercise, drawing, going for a walk, listening to AMV's, playing PS3, basically anything that you can center your concentration toward. Anxiety seems to be at its worse when you have A LOT of time to think and not enough activity.

GraybeardGhost

I like to sit out on my porch and watch the birds and squirrels do bird and squirrel stuff. I find them beautiful, entertaining, and often inspiring as well.

Also, I second (third?) Marie's endorsement of thrift shopping. It's like a reasonably priced mini-adventure. You never know what you'll find on the shelves.

I could say the same about hitting the yard sales on a Saturday morning or going to the flea market, both of which add the element of fresh morning air, but I haven't actually done either in a long time. They're both a little too social for comfort these days.

MikeyC

Too many great ideas to quote have already been said. Everyone is on the same page. :thumbup:

skins, you're an Australian, so getting vitamin D is relatively easy in our country, and it's a great way to improve your mood. Why do you think the Russians and English and Canadians are so depressed during winter there? We are blessed with year-round sunshine, so definitely take advantage of that when you can.

There's something in bananas that are supposed to be natural mood boosters, so eat more bananas. Plus they're healthy and delicious, so you can't go wrong.

Eating better in general will remove preservatives and other nasties from your body, giving you a fresher outlook and improved mood. That's what happens to me, so I can't speak for others. It's not a cure, since I still get upset during a good eating spell, but it definitely stops a lot of the big crashes that occur.

This is all common knowledge, really. I'm sure you know what to do. Good luck!