IcanDoIt

i ve been thru thick and thin..

and all nickabuk's posts are damn useful, effective..

those are the techniques that i had applied even before he post all these..

please people, just apply what he has been preaching..trust me, u will improve! u may not see the differnece in one day..

but you might just see the BIG difference probably in 1 year, 6 months, a few months..

if only u stick by your plan and don give up..

its just liek losing weight.

IcanDoIt

nickabcuk said:
its just liek losing weight

I like that analogy, especially since weight can have an ambiguous meaning, the weight on our body when dieting and the weight on our mind with anxiety.

Thanks,

Nick.

arhah, i meant that for losing weight, you have to do it slowly..

you will see minimal difference for first few weeks..and its either u get demoralized or u continue with your programme.

and after a few months, losing weight will be a breeze..

and i think this concept is applicable to all aspects of our lives..

Danfalc

Banned
Hey nick

I think ive got a lot of things to get sorted in my life before i can start to move forward with my sp issues.But your writing makes a lot of sence,and when i do get to the point where i think i can start to move forward with sp, your advice/posative thinking strategies will be what i will be putting into action.The fact that these are things which have helped you recover with sp,give me confidence that they could also help me.So i hope you will continue to add things.

black_mamba

nickabcuk said:
Hi everyone, I see the thread gets a lot of view, but I was wondering if anyone reads it. Is it worth my time to keep adding ot it? Are you finding this stuff useful? What do you think of it? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Nick.

In general your advice is very well thought out and useful if put to use regularly (god that equires a lot of determination!)

One thing you wrote about aiming for achievements rather than how you get there (something along those lines anyway) - well this is how I live my life. I'm very achievement orientated, every big successful event marks a new level of progression for me. However it should be noted that this way of thinking can lead to new anxieties in itself. Someone once said to me in another social phobia forum; why not simply enjoy living life, enjoy the things you do and not get so hung up over not completing a project or passing a certain exam. It's not the end of the world.

This thought was like a breath of fresh air to me. I had never even considered simply trying to happy with my current status rather than always trying to improve every single aspect of my life.

My point is that some of your advice is good, but must be used wisely and not to [unhealthy] excess. :)

pitkreet

Yes, please keep posting, Nick. I think these posts are the most important on this (or any) site.

If any of us are going to get better, at least some of the advice you offer is going to be a part of it in some shape or form. Even just reading through some of the advice once, I find that certain little things strike a chord and lodge themselves in my brain and then pop back into my mind now and then throughout the day and help me to have a better outlook on day-to-day, anxiety inducing situations.

I've got this thread as a favourite in IE although I think that, because it actually gives concrete and practical advice on how to start improving yourself, it should be THE prominent sticky on this site so that everyone sees it every time they visit and are reminded to make the effort to change. Also, new members would immediately see that, not only are they not alone with their condition, but it is possible to get better.

rhythmical

Hi Nick

I haven't read all your recent posts as yet, though I certainly intend to. I just wanted to say thanks for everything you've said so far, especially regarding the 'positive thinking' advice. I've always been guilty of saying the wrong thing to myself in the past when faced with stressful situations, and just knowing what not to say is as important as anything else. I didn't understand this until you explained it, and as a result i've been able to put this into practice during my recent visits to the dentist - somewhere i've avoided for years!

So thanks again Nick, i owe you one ( or two rather - a filling and a crown :mrgreen: )

black_mamba

nickabcuk said:
I'm still not sure that there is enough interest or people willing to apply it to make it worth it. It' takes up a lot of time and I have quite a lot on my plate at the mo. If people are really reading it, applying it and it's helping then I'll continue but I'm not sure there's enough interest at the mo, it might be better for me to focus my efforts on my psychology degree, support group and other projects I have.

You have written a lot of useful info and what matters now is how people apply it.

A lot of people feel that they have to wait to be in the right frame of mind to apply it (myself included) and whats causing that negative attitude is what needs to be fixed in the first place. So its difficult to get started, and sometimes it feels as if we're waiting for that one piece of magical advice that'll cure us. I doubt that'll happen.

Everything you've written, if put to regular usage, will have a significant positive effect on any SA sufferer. Thats what I believe anyway. I think you've provided plenty of food for thought and now every member who wants to improve should actively make a point of applying your advice rather than putting it off.

Let it simmer for a while, esp if you are pushed for time with other projects. I'm guessing it your final year of the degree? :)

blubs

black_mamba said:
One thing you wrote about aiming for achievements rather than how you get there (something along those lines anyway) - well this is how I live my life. I'm very achievement orientated, every big successful event marks a new level of progression for me. However it should be noted that this way of thinking can lead to new anxieties in itself. Someone once said to me in another social phobia forum; why not simply enjoy living life, enjoy the things you do and not get so hung up over not completing a project or passing a certain exam. It's not the end of the world.

It seems like a lot of people who suffer from social phobia are hung up on achieving things in their lives, not necessarily academic or material success...but whatever they think is missing. If someone is genuinely missing something that gets them down, then its good to set goals and see a way to acheiving that in the future. But I think its important to truly understand why we want something that might be different than what we already have. I spent a long time unhappy because I felt like a 'failure'..because I dropped out of university more than once...at the time I was young and independant, but couldn't enjoy that because I felt overwhelmed by feelings of failure, and not being where I 'should' be in life. By my early 20s I felt like I was old and had fucked up and that was that.
Now I look back and see how sad it is that I wasted all that time worrying about myself. As I got a bit older and craggier I stopped caring so much about what other people were achieving in their lives and how I compared. My family are hung up on achievement and I got tired of feeling accountable to them...if people consistently asked me 'what are you doing now' or made negative comments, instead of asking 'how are you?' I cut them out of my life as much as possible.
Our society is so acheivement orientated, and obsessed with comparisons from such a young age. We are brought up to compete against each other in everything. If we weren't, there would be no such term as 'loser'.
If you feel like a loser, you have to ask yourself, what are you losing at??
Life isn't a game, with winners and losers. Its just there...wether you want it or not.
I don't care what I achieve anymore. All I want to know is what stuff makes me happy. I used to think I'd be happy if I had things to be 'proud' of...but when I achieved those things, I realised there wasn't much payback in terms of emotion. I just felt like 'Way me! Mini mexican wave....now what?'
Now I think the little things that you think are tyding you over 'till you get to where you want to be, they're the things to look for...they're still going to be the things that make you happy when you get the other stuff in your life....
x
(btw, black-mamba....you're post just sparked off these thoughts, they're not directed at you :wink: )

and btw Nick....I tried to move this to another thread, but couldn't...as I didn't think it belonged in your thread.
If you do take a break from this site, because of your other projects...good luck with them
x

black_mamba

blubs said:
If you feel like a loser, you have to ask yourself, what are you losing at??
Life isn't a game, with winners and losers. Its just there...wether you want it or not.

I used to think I'd be happy if I had things to be 'proud' of...but when I achieved those things, I realised there wasn't much payback in terms of emotion. I just felt like 'Way me! Mini mexican wave....now what?'

Wow, I totally agree, esp since this new idea of not being so obsessed with achievments has entered my head. *thumbsup*
:D

T2003

How come we have to wait so long for your website Nick? 2007?
Good luck with everything, I really think you could be the British Tony Robbins!