Anyone know of any good movies about/concerning social phobia?

MelonCollie

I've just seen the movie (The King Speech) and the man doesn't even have stage-fear, let S.P aside, he just stammers. Very sorry but how could you be so mistaken about that?!

I'm pretty sure that the reason he stammers is because of his social anxiety. And also if you look at his face in the beginning when he's giving the speech and he stammers, that is definitely stage fright.

Also, there are some quotes by Lionel about Bertie:

"He's afraid of his own shadow,"

"You can do it, you needn't be governed by fear,"

And also, a part that may be my favorite, when Bertie yells at Lionel for sitting in Saint Edward's chair (you can see it on the trailer)

Lionel: "Why should I waste my time listening to you?"

Bertie: "Because I have a voice!"

Lionel: "Yes you do,"

I know alot of us feel as though we have no voice. I know I feel that way.

Since the whole of the films is about prepping Bertie to give his speech, something that probably wouldn't be so hard to other people but is very difficult for Bertie, we can assume the film has at least something to do with fear and stage fright.
The film may not exactly be about social phobia, but it definitely contains things we can relate to.

Kiwong

Boo Radley's character in "To Kill a Mockingbird."

Robin Williams character in "Awakenings"

Last edited:

nightcrawler

Last night I watched that film Mary and Max that someone in this thread recommended - very good film! Really enjoyed it. :)

The Green Ray (aka Summer) is a great French movie about a shy woman. It's by one of my favorite directors, Eric Rohmer. Nearly all of his films demonstrate an incredible understanding of people and relationships.

I also found a lot to relate to in the movie Being There, though it's not exactly about social phobia. It's about a guy who spent his whole life in a mansion watching TV and then is forced into the real world. One thing about being quiet is that people are always telling me what I think and interpreting my actions for me. This movie captures that phenomena wonderfully. The book is excellent as well.

N0D

Banned
Ghost World... starring Thora Birch & Scarlet Johansson.
It´s not exactly about social phobia per se, but the characters deal with loneliness, boredom, not fitting into a conventional life.
Besides being absolutely hilarious, Ghost World is wise and beautiful.

...weird coincidences make me giggle inside. i just watched this movie for the first time today and now a couple hours later log on to spw and this was right in front of me more or less.

P.S. Thora Birch completely steals the spotlight from the other characters in this movie. When the credits rolled I was like, "Scarlett Johansson was in that movie?!" :eek: :D

maybmental2

Let's see...... The fisher King is really good, Robin Williams, Jeff Bridges. Robin Williams plays a homeless guy with big issues. If you were here in front of me and we were talking movies I'd do better at thinking of more I love movies! Katie Holmes did one called Peices Of April that deals with family acceptence, One of her best and she looks great in it before she became a steppford wife LOL!

KiaKaha

Banned
Willard

About a loner that makes friends with a whole bunch of rats that he is able to command to wreak havoc on everyone in his life that has done him wrong.

I have watched it 17 times.

I think that Lisbeth Salander, in the Millennium Trilogy movies (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc.), has a bit of social anxiety. She seems to have trouble relating to people, but she's also very capable of taking care of herself. They're not really movies about social anxiety, though, I think they just feature social anxiety.

Lisbeth Salander definitely has something going on. In the books, the author suggests she has Asperger's. She's very uncomfortable around people, even those that she lets in only the slightest (Mikael, Annika, Miriam). She never lets them get too close and she is the one that is always in control of how much they interact.

I think they are definitely worth a watch (and read!) though. The original Swedish movies are pretty good and the chick who plays Lisbeth (Noomi Rapace) is all kinds of awesome. There is an American version of the first book coming out right before Christmas. If you aren't too freaked out by sensitive material and rough scenes (look up the subject material before you go; you've been warned - the first book literally translates as "Men Who Hate Women"), I'd check them out. The Swedish movies are streaming on Netflix.

I was just staring at my DVD collection and saw Six Feet Under. It isn't a movie, but I think the character of David Fisher has some anxiety issues. I'd say most of them are related to being a closeted gay man, but his fear is so honest that you can't help but relate. And then there is Brenda Chenowith. That woman has issues and then some. I couldn't even begin to list her troubles, but I don't think she trusts people and has a hard time relating to just about anyone, sometimes even to herself.

Last edited:
Oh, how could I forget Buffalo '66, though I'm not sure whether the character's issues would be defined as social phobia--definitely low self-esteem.

Last edited:

Nanita

...weird coincidences make me giggle inside. i just watched this movie for the first time today and now a couple hours later log on to spw and this was right in front of me more or less.

Nice.................. nice! ;)