Anyone know of any good movies about/concerning social phobia?

aftermidnight

Not a movie but a TV show: Dexter. The title character might not have SAD, but he is certainly antisocial. He does not understand people and their seemingly stupid "norms" and, as a result, cannot deal with people in a socially accepted manner. He appears a bit weird to the few people who know him, but he is valued for his analytical abilities (he is a forensic scientist specializing in blood spatter analysis - what seems to be a pretty SAD-friendly career). I think anyone with SAD can sympathize with Dexter, at least as far as his non-serial-killer side goes; I certainly do.

spyr05

I actually tried to start a list about this but decided I would have to actively watch all movies that supposedly contained these characters for it to be any good.

There are two that I think are dead on:
Amelie (obviously, the character is Amelie.)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (The character is Joel. Towards the end of the movie there's this really beautiful scene where in his memory his ex-girlfriend asks why he ran away the first time they met and I thought it was the perfect depiction of a person with social phobia.)

spyr05

Not a movie but a TV show: Dexter. The title character might not have SAD, but he is certainly antisocial. He does not understand people and their seemingly stupid "norms" and, as a result, cannot deal with people in a socially accepted manner. He appears a bit weird to the few people who know him, but he is valued for his analytical abilities (he is a forensic scientist specializing in blood spatter analysis - what seems to be a pretty SAD-friendly career). I think anyone with SAD can sympathize with Dexter, at least as far as his non-serial-killer side goes; I certainly do.

That's an interesting case though, because Dexter's more of a character who's trying to pretend that it's even possible for him to REGISTER human emotion. People don't really make him anxious, he just doesn't understand their norms either. I'd say he's more verging on to psychopathic, but the show is about how he wrestles with that to maintain his morality, unlike the other characters he encounters, who in some cases are full-blown psychopaths.

coyote

Shadowlands - with Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger

it's about the author, C. S. Lewis

i think alot of people here could identify with it

rent it today

bring tissues

SilentBird

Snow Cake. Not about "Social Phobia" but still touching. It's about a woman with "Autism" whose daughter is killed in a car accident when hitch-hiking. And the relationship between the mother and the driver of the car. Starring Sigourney Weaver.

bcsr

It's not a movie, but I recommended the anime series "Welcome to the N.H.K" very highly in the anime thread. It focuses on a young man living in Japan who has severe social anxiety disorder. It's very good, very funny, and showcases quite a few characters with social phobia.

Easily my favorites animated series, and it isn't very long. 26 Episodes I think.

mikebird

Banned
apocalyptic dreams - where I will survive
not being told what to do
having it my way... willing to accept my fate, and not feeling mizz erable any more

28 Days Later
Gladiator
Titanic
Shadowrun
12 monkeys
Face
Point Break
A history of violence
Bourne
Requiem for a dream
Pursuit of happyness
Gattaca
Gran Torino
Rain Man
Vanilla Sky

Last edited:

gustavofring

Drive.
Not sure if the main character (Ryan Gosling) has social phobia, but he is a quiet and reserved guy. Basically the "Man of few words" stereotype. But the movie has a supernice atmosphere.

I think that Lisbeth Salander, in the Millennium Trilogy movies (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc.), has a bit of social anxiety. She seems to have trouble relating to people, but she's also very capable of taking care of herself. They're not really movies about social anxiety, though, I think they just feature social anxiety.

I was thinking the same movie. Lisbeth Salander is one great example of a character who is antisocial and troubles getting along with other people.

Waybuloo

I don't think The Kings Speech is an example of a social phobia movie. He apparently proposed to his wife 3 times as he wouldn't give up. That doesn't sound like a shy or socially phobic person to me. He also could appear in front of people and all that, his only problem is his stutter. I know a stutterer at school and she was not sa. It can be psychological but it doesn't point to the same reasons we are socially phobic. His father used to ridicule him for not speaking fluently or something, and that could well have made him into a stutterer. I also think Albert was very very strong.

ClovizKarts

i always thought john rambo to be a social phobic with PTSD. by design a vietnam vet returned to the world he can't fit into and then he blows a fuse.

watch first blood, and part 2 and 3 aren't that bad imo.

agreed! first bood part I and II, rambo III not a good movie but it's entertening

ClovizKarts

play it again Sam (1972) cast: wood allen, diane keaton. director: herbert ross.

adaptation (2002) cast:nicolas cage, meryl streep, chris cooper. director: spike jonze. book: susan orlean. screenplay:charlie kaufman.

little voice (1998) cast: michael caine, ewan macgregor, jane horrocks. director: mark herman.

i took this 3 movies from a book called Cinema e Loucura (film and madness) writers: j. landeira fernandez and elie cheniaux

mikebird

Banned
OH
YES I DO!

Might need a lucky moment to get a title outta my movie-laden head repository

Making friends

I go with sisscorhands
WaterWorld
Mad Max
CastAway
Kickboxer
Spud
Ted
Layer Cake
Finding Neverland
anyone not seen Back 2 Future?

Glad to see Hobbit. My first ever book & game
Surprised to have to wait for sequel Smaug's Desolation in 2013 and the final in 2014
It was a small prelude book to Lord of Rings. Should have come first, in one movie

Magic in the eighties for me, but too old school for today's Hollywood epoch

Last edited:

xDreamseller

Give "loser" a watch if you like Jason Biggs (Jim from American Pie, also stars Mena Suvari from American Pie. They were filmed at the same time I think and scenes from it were used in the Wheatus music video for Teenage Dirtbag)

I haven't seen it in a long time (Going to go watch it now I've thought of it) and don't fully remember what it's about, but the main character is the sort of shy/anxious guy who wants the girl type movie.